“If you have to go to Verviers...”

Hotel Verviers Van der Valk
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Verviers
Reviewed April 8, 2013

There is not much happening in this town, but we had a good reason to come and we spent one night at the Hotel Verviers Van der Valk. We went on the rather depressing walk from the train station to the hotel, along a lot of shuttered store fronts and 'for rent or sale' signs. The hotel was perfectly adequate for a night. In my view bare walls, or photographs of the prettier sights in town, would have been preferable to the paintings in the room. Also a shower would have been more useful that the giant round jacuzzi bathtubs in our bathroom. The breakfast the next morning was a decent buffet but there was a distinct shortage of staff and it took me some time to find a clean table. Beds and linens were good quality and our room was quiet.

Room Tip: I would stay on a higher floor because this hotel hosts many large functions that go into the night...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,029)

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Verviers for one night on business and was curious to see it after hearing so much about it from my colleagues. It is an unusual hotel as it used to be a railway station so it has a certain charm, but also the practical touches you need on business and the homely touches that help you to forget you are on business.

Here is what I liked:
Swift, friendly and efficient service at Reception and plenty of onsite parking. The international names of the seminar rooms and their blend of practical and homely. For example, the rooms varied in size, were all comfortable, had great refreshments and visual facilities. The main conference room off Reception also had plenty of natural light. All had very nice, small flower arrangements that just added a nice, contemporary touch.

My bedroom was an unusual shape as it was horizontally very long but the bedroom was just about deep enough for a double bed from one bedside table to another. The end of my bed was almost touching the curtains. However, on a snowy night it was warm, cosy and there was enough space for my bags and clothing in the larger entrance area of the room. The bathroom was long and narrow but deliciously warm and the unusual bonus of a bath and separate shower cubicle. There were also plenty of towels and some nice toiletries.

The food was good. Breakfast was plentiful with a great selection to satisfy all tastes. Lunch and dinner were very good too, but I ate a pre-arranged menu with a large party so cannot comment on the extent of the menu.

I only have a few areas for improvement:
There is no natural light in the small seminar rooms on the lower ground floor, which can feel quite oppressive. The toilets are also down there and on a very cold, snowy day there was no hot water. It was not pleasant washing your hands in stone cold water! (This was only a problem in the downstairs toilets). I speak three languages fluently but occasionally I just fancy watching English but all I could find was CNN on the TV in my room. Beware you just have this choice, unless you speak German, Dutch, French or Italian as there were plenty of channels in those languages.

It is also worth being aware that the hotel is in central Verviers - a small, but busy town so there was a lot of traffic round the hotel during rush hour. It is also tucked away on a small turning off a roundabout so I would never have found it without my GPS.

Overall, I enjoyed my overnight stay and it was all for a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Be aware there is only CNN in English in the rooms if that is the only language you speak.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 23, 2012

What attracted us to this hotel was its building construction from what use to be a merchant train station and we were not dissapointed , it looked very nice , very modern and perfectly clean.
People working here were so and so friendly , acceptable i guess , except for the lady in charge of the hotel restaurant called 'entrepot' , she was very nice and helpfull.
The hotel consists of a very nice lounge right next to the reception and a few meters form the restaurant , the floors were all furnished with red carpets and nice furniture,lamps,paintings.....
The room was average sized but very cosy , bathroom was huge with both bath and shower , a separate toilet... room was very modern and looked like new...mostly important : clean.
We went for evening dinner at the hotels restaurant called "entrepot" , the food was very good indeed ,we payed €30 for a 4 service menu , excellent.
In the morning we went for the breakfast at the same place... €13 for a large choice of excellent food.
The only negative point we can give to this review is what happened at breakfast :
The chairs of the restaurant are made of alcantara and they had just been cleaned , at least that is what we think because they were extremely humid , very unpleasent indeed.
We told the person responsible for the breakfast room and apparently she knew nothing about it and proposed that we'd find another table where all was allright.
She soon realised that this was a serious problem because 3/4 of the clients were having the same problem , complaints kept pouring in and she was busy moving all the chairs , trying to find dry ones from other rooms .We just hope that these were not cleaned with some nasty products which would cause arm to our clothes.
Some of you reading this might think that this is not a serious issue but i insist it was...it ruined our breakfast and unacceptable for such a nice hotel.
THIS IS THE ONLY REASON WHY WE DIDN'T GIVE THIS HOTEL A 5 STARS RATING

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank guillermovilas
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This hotel looks fantastic but on arrival with our friends there was only one receptionist to deal with lots of cutomers so it took a while to check in. Our room was nice and clean. However, we were disappointed with the restaurant. We ordered lamb stew and although mine was okay my friends stew was mainly gristle and had a piece of paper in it. We told the waitress but she just shrugged. When we complained to the deputy manager he took the price of a couple of drinks off the bill. We also noticed that the french menu differed from the dutch and had I known I would have chosen from the dutch. There were lots of young people around so I think that it is really bettered suited to the younger generation. Good parking though

Room Tip: This hotel seems to cater mainly for business people and the young - not really suited for retired c...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Zena G
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Lovely hotel easily accessible from the motorway (we were at Spa 24 race in Francorchamps). Reception and bar staf fon the Saturday evening that we arrived were really pleasant and friendly, room was large, clean and well equiped. We booked relatively late so price wasn't great, especially as we made the mistake of ordering the breakfast. It was Sunday morning and the breakfast looked like it was prepared and cooked the day before, pancakes were stuck together, scrambled eggs had mutated into something alien.. all in all not what I'd expect from a Van der Valk hotel, where I've always appreciated their excellent breakfasts. To sum up, lovely hotel.. take care with the breakfast!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I stayed here for one night, a special group rate applied because there where 20 rooms for our group.
Very nice rooms and a large, trendy bathroom.
Everything looks like new.
Good breakfast as well.
Free large parking.
I liked it a lot.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank chitza
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed here on our way to Lille, the duplex is a great room although the automatic blind in the window was opening and closing by it self during the night!
Great use of a old station building turned into a Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Verviers
Radisson Blu Balmoral Hotel, Spa
Domaine des Hautes Fagnes
Husa de la Couronne
Husa de la Couronne
#5 of 19 in Liege

Been to Hotel Verviers Van der Valk? Share your experiences!