“Not worth the money”

Grand Hotel Saltsjobaden
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Saltsjobaden
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Really bad service in restaurant. Uncomfortable beds.

• Stayed: October 2011

Reviewed March 30, 2012

Let's put my review in the right context. I've been there in mid March, which for this hotel is definitely the low season. It guess it must be absolutely buzzing during the summer, and the rates are probably triple of what I paid.

The hotel is a bit outside Stockholm. It's not too bad value, if you're in Gamla Stan or nearby, you can take the train from Slussen and it's about 35 minutes To Saltsjobaden. The hotel is a stone throw from the train station. The surroundings are pretty. The hotel has this old grand style feel to it, nicely decorated. The room I was in was a tad small, but I wasn't bothered by it. I had a nice balcony but well, it was mid March in Sweden, so I didn't use it. There is a bare-bones mini-bar with water (35 kr) and Sprite (50 Kr). The room itself is nicely furnished, but nothing fancy, and a bit dated.

Service is not exactly cheerful or friendly, but even though it was cold, it wasn't unfriendly either and I got what I wanted so no complaints. Breakfast was rather uninspiring for Swedish standards. There were the basics but I would have expected a bit more, then again they have all the basic ingredients.

I think I could recommend this hotel for exactly the reason why I stayed there: in winter and spring, it's a more inexpensive option outside Stockholm, and relatively painless to get to. In summer, it'll probably be booked out because of its location, and honestly, I am not really sure whether I would spend the regular summer rate for the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank globezipper
Reviewed January 7, 2012

A little bit outside Stockholm is this nice hotel. I was there for only one night. The hotel when you see it by its front door, it seems like a small castle. Inside, it is very clean, lovely decoration and warm atmosphere.Our room had a double size bed, very comfortable, but outside the balcony was only one old chair, nowhere else to sit,old wood and nothing more. In a lot of places in the hotel, you can see that it needs repairing (on some walls especially). If you want to have a view,you have to ask for the rooms that are looking to the back side of the hotel, to a beautiful bay. Also the breakfast was rich with big variety of food. So, if you want to stay there do it but with the tips I gave you.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms looking at the bay
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Evelina G
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I booked this hotel as the rates were so good and has brilliant reviews. I was initially concerned about it's location to the centre of Stockholm but the train is ultra convenient and really easy to use.

When I checked in a did ask to move rooms purely because I wanted a twin room as was travelling with my mum - they were fully booked that first night but did not hesitate about moving me the next night to a twin room and they even gave me an upgrade to sea view.

Highly recommend for couples/ families.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank travelaholic007
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The place looks like a palace, and it is a beautiful hotel both inside and out. Has bags of 'old world' type character, Breathtaking location and views, and right next to the train station with frequent and fast trains into Stockholm. One of the best and most characterful hotels I have stayed in.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julian S
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is a hotel located outside Stockholm, yet very close to it. It is situated in a manor, that makes you feel that the time has stopped in the early 1900's. Moreover, the hotel is a central point to the whole Saltsjobaden, right in front of the sea and extremely close to the train station. Note that the train takes you to Stockholm in half an hour.
The room we stayed had a great view and was quite spacious. Nevertheless, it was quite old and needed some work to be done in order to be renovated.
Moreover, I would want the breakfast buffet to offer more options, since the choices were kinda limited and boring to my tastes.
Other than that, I enjoyed my stay there and would reccomend it, especially to couples and to families who want to have some quiet time.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mari1984
Reviewed September 3, 2011

The Hotel is big and old. The receptionist was neither friendly nor helpful. We asked for the restaurant. There is a very tiny restaurant, not connected to the hotel close to the beach. Your need to make reservation otherwise you are not very welcomed. Furthermore, not all trains are going to Saltjobaden, especially in the evening and on weekends. It is not connected with the subway system but included in your Stockholm card.
If you do not want to be close to Stockholm than this might be the right place for you. If you look for a beach, you will be disappointed. There is a harbor!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saltsjobaden
Norrmalm
Mariatorget
Hotel Rival
Hotel Rival
#2 of 154 in Stockholm

Been to Grand Hotel Saltsjobaden? Share your experiences!