“Quite nice hotel”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Saltsjobaden
Athens
“Quite nice hotel”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

A little bit outside Stockholm is this nice hotel. I was there for only one night. The hotel when you see it by its front door, it seems like a small castle. Inside, it is very clean, lovely decoration and warm atmosphere.Our room had a double size bed, very comfortable, but outside the balcony was only one old chair, nowhere else to sit,old wood and nothing more. In a lot of places in the hotel, you can see that it needs repairing (on some walls especially). If you want to have a view,you have to ask for the rooms that are looking to the back side of the hotel, to a beautiful bay. Also the breakfast was rich with big variety of food. So, if you want to stay there do it but with the tips I gave you.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms looking at the bay
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Evelina G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Hebrew first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I booked this hotel as the rates were so good and has brilliant reviews. I was initially concerned about it's location to the centre of Stockholm but the train is ultra convenient and really easy to use.

When I checked in a did ask to move rooms purely because I wanted a twin room as was travelling with my mum - they were fully booked that first night but did not hesitate about moving me the next night to a twin room and they even gave me an upgrade to sea view.

Highly recommend for couples/ families.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank travelaholic007
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The place looks like a palace, and it is a beautiful hotel both inside and out. Has bags of 'old world' type character, Breathtaking location and views, and right next to the train station with frequent and fast trains into Stockholm. One of the best and most characterful hotels I have stayed in.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julian S
athens
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is a hotel located outside Stockholm, yet very close to it. It is situated in a manor, that makes you feel that the time has stopped in the early 1900's. Moreover, the hotel is a central point to the whole Saltsjobaden, right in front of the sea and extremely close to the train station. Note that the train takes you to Stockholm in half an hour.
The room we stayed had a great view and was quite spacious. Nevertheless, it was quite old and needed some work to be done in order to be renovated.
Moreover, I would want the breakfast buffet to offer more options, since the choices were kinda limited and boring to my tastes.
Other than that, I enjoyed my stay there and would reccomend it, especially to couples and to families who want to have some quiet time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mari1984
Geneva, Illinois
Reviewed September 3, 2011

The Hotel is big and old. The receptionist was neither friendly nor helpful. We asked for the restaurant. There is a very tiny restaurant, not connected to the hotel close to the beach. Your need to make reservation otherwise you are not very welcomed. Furthermore, not all trains are going to Saltjobaden, especially in the evening and on weekends. It is not connected with the subway system but included in your Stockholm card.
If you do not want to be close to Stockholm than this might be the right place for you. If you look for a beach, you will be disappointed. There is a harbor!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2011

The setting is absolutely stunning but the hotel needs to be brought into the 21st century. The hotel was all over the place and very badly laid out, we eventually found a swimming pool, the spa was shut and there were no towels available. There were no staff around at all to direct or help us.

Our room was possibly the worst that I have ever stayed in. The bathroom smelled like sewerage, there were stains on the celiling and there was no air conditioning. The room was tiny and the tv only had 3 channels and not the 10 or so promised in the hotel info folder. We could not sleep at all as we were so hot and uncomfortable in the tiny bed. We had a view of the carpark with the trains coming and going to keep us company early in the morning.

When we arrived the male receptionist was lovely (I guess he needed to be nice as he knew the room that he was inflicting on us). We did not complain as we were with a large party and did not want to take someone elses better room. So on the second night when we returned to the hotel to retire for the night we asked the receptionist (a different man) for some iced tap water. He told us that there was no tap water available in the hotel!!!! We nearly fell over with disbelief! My husband and I spend much time in different hotels and have never ever received such poor service.

Breakfast was mediocre, there was no one to greet you when you arrived, the crackers (like large rivitas) were soft and it just felt dirty.

We checked out a day early and were so glad to be going home and not staying there for a minute longer!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sonnyned

Travelers are raving about these Saltsjobaden hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2011

faded glory is the way to describe the hotel. I've stayed there last week, first I was given a room on ground floor with no view but got upgraded to a better room with view the next day, which was lovely. the hotel staff is rude and incompetent, I've asked if there is internet access and was given password, but discovered at check out that it was SEK50 extra, which i was not notified about. I don't mind paying for services, but the service price should be indicated when such service is provided. also the hotel receptionist, who was young and unexperienced with her duties, insisted she can't see that the room was pre-paid. luckily i had my card receipt which eventually convinced her!!! and she finally didn't know how to print a receipt for the extra SEK50. all in all, the check out took 20 min, some arguments and a promise that i won't come back :( Saltsjobaden is lovely though.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank mayatravel2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saltsjobaden
Nobis Hotel
Lydmar Hotel
#1 of 154 in Stockholm
Hotel J
#1 of 4 in Nacka

Been to Grand Hotel Saltsjobaden? Share your experiences!