“A big no no”

Best Western Arlanda Hotellby
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Arlandastad
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Decided to stay here since we were leaving on an early flight the day after.

We arrived to the nearby station, and called them 5 minutes before arriving, told them we will be there in 5 minutes. The reply was :-You have to be in the station before calling. Fair enough I thought, and called 5 minutes later. I got the reply, the driver was then at the airport and can pick you up in 20 minutes. Nicely the girl called back within 5 minutes, saying they would pick us up, but we had to go first to the airport, then back. After about 30 minutes of sightseeing of airport (and picking up alot of annoyed clients which said they waited for more than an hour) we arrived.

When checking in, I showed my BW Diamond card, and the teen in the front desk said - Ok, we will probably have to upgrade you to a deluxe room.. Nothing else. I asked for the restaurant voucher as usually provided, and were replied with - "ok, I guess I will give you one".. In the lobby bar beside the reception, I saw a woman struggling to get an order of water, which took about 10 minutes, meanwhile, the lady bartender was sighing in the bar.. When trying to use my 100 SEK voucher at the hotel bar for some orange juice, the most booring 60+ woman (who probably had been tired of her job for years) directly said in an insulting tone:

-If you are planning on buying alcoholic beverages you cannot.

I told her nicely that I was planning on buying orange juice, she put up an insulting laugh at me, saying :

-huh, you know this is for food.. she turned away and said.. wait here, I will go for a sec.

She went away about 10 minutes, then came back.. I don't know, but I got the feeling she went away for a smoke.. She came back, with an even more boring look, saying:

-Ok, what do you want, even more rude..

In a nice tone, I told her "Orange juice". She filled a glass of OJ, then once again in a rude tone said:

- I will not give you any change to this voucher, so if there is nothing else..

I replied, no worries, keep the 80 SEK as a tip, as you are worth it (also being upset and insulting)..

What a "sh***y" personal skill.. I saw people going to the bar all night, being insulted by this lady.. sure, one might have her/his bad days, but being rude and insulting to customers is really below any expectations you may have from a hotel.

We watched Sweden's last game (sad to say they were put out of the EM 2012), which was played in a conference room near the lobby, then went to our room. I've only seen a room in a swedish hotel like this since I stayed in a low-life hotel/hostel in Oskarshamn, Sweden ( a small community which is mainly known because of it's nuclear powerplant).. Plastic floors, that smell of something strange, things hanging 30 degrees, not 90. Hairs in sink, when arriving.. Asking yourself, did they actually clean the room after last guest? Since after watching the game, we only had 5 hours until our flight, we didn't bother about complaining but stayed in the too far soft beds.. I don't mind soft beds, but woke up with a back pain..

We stayed here in a hot june day, and the radiators were turned to max, with no possibility to turn them down. If we stayed in a deluxe room, I wouldn't like to see the regular ones.

Would still like to say, breakfast was totally ok, and already served at 04:00 ! So, skip going to the lobby bar, actually sleeping there, and think about just paying for a breakfast !

Since we knew we would just be staying for a couple of hours, we choosed between this hotel and Park Inn as they had the same service, for the same price this day. Would we have known the quality of this hotel, we would have choosen Park Inn.

Room Tip: Not sure, but I am not counting on that they have any..
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 24, 2012 via mobile

Sound isolation is terrible and since it is an airport hotel you Can expect people to drop in all night.

Had to carry my baggage on a small spiral staircase outdoors, wasn't even offered any help with my bags.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Mbergy
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Stayed for one night with an early flight from Arlanda airport. The hotel is like a small village with camp cabins, everything can be heard through walls and ceiling. Very basic rooms, poor breakfast. Avoid.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed January 19, 2012

On arrival at Arlanda airport, a phone call to the hotel brought the free shuttle bus within ten minutes and I was checked in and in my room fifteen minutes later. My room was very warm, clean and cozy and there was a complimentary bottle of beer and a bottle of water waiting for me in the fridge. The evening meal and breakfast were very appetizing and I had free use of the lobby computer. The staff were all very pleasant and friendly. Excellent value all round!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank benadem
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We loved this place, close to the airport, very quiet, clean comfortable rooms.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter J
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Arlanda Hotellby is located about 5 to 10 minutes from the airport and in a very quiet area. It is very inaccessible if you are not driving. Free shuttle bus is provided but it is not operated with a fixed schedule, meaning you have to call the hotel if you need it. The rooms are spread out among 17 small double storey buildings, with each having 4 rooms. There are no sheltered walkways connecting the individual buildings. In bad weather such as heavy snow, it is a pain to drag our luggage to our rooms from the reception and then back when we check out. The hotel management can really improve on this.

As for the rooms themselves, they are clean but aesthetically, they don’t score well. The room and shower are quite spacious though. You have the usual TV and there is free WIFI as well. If you need to print anything, there is a PC at the reception area which you can do so for free. The surprising good thing is there is a minibar in the room that comes with 2 bottles of beer and 2 bottles of mineral water. Considering their prices in Sweden, I would say it would be quite rare to find such freebies in other hotels.

Most hotels do not serve early breakfasts, but you can have yours from 4 am at Arlanda Hotellby. The breakfast is pretty standard and to be honest, it is not very appetizing. The free shuttle bus also goes to Marsta train station. If you are coming from Stockholm, you can save on the 60SEK station access fee per person if you take the shuttle bus from Marsta instead of taking it from the airport.

The room is clean and functional and we had a good rest. We did not have any problems with the temperature or the shower. However, make sure to get a room on the ground floor if you don’t want to climb a steep and narrow flight of stairs. Frequent snow clearing would also be much appreciated as the roads are quite hazardous to walk on.

Given the price, Arlanda Hotellby offers good value with all the freebies thrown in. Even private rooms in hostels charge similar prices. Therefore if you are going off on an early flight, I would recommend this place.

See more photos at http://www.globe-nomads.com/2011/07/review-of-arlanda-hotellby-stockholm.html

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank globenomads
Reviewed June 7, 2011

It feels less lika a hotel than it does a small ski-hut for youths. The rooms are spread out in small barracks with so-so build quality and the beds are economy in comparison to the few dozen other BW-hotels I've tried out. Good thing the mini-bar is free with a couple of complimentary beers and mineral water. Breakfast was a let-down.

The price is in the budget category (I paid approx 120 EUR for one night) but the neighboring Radisson Park-Inn will charge you the same amount of money but yield you a bit more comfort and a better breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business