“a great place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Kirazli B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“a great place to stay”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

The Muses Hotel is a terrific place to stay. My husband and I were there for several nights in May and we felt very pampered during our time there. The room and common areas were excellent - comfortable and beautifully decorated, and sitting outside in the courtyard for meals was a treat.What was especially outstanding was the way Nick and Maggie went out of their way to be helpful and supportive, for instance in giving advice relating to our travel arrangements, sightseeing and any general enquiries. The manager and other staff were also very helpful and friendly. Maggie, who has a professional background in the area of ancient history, would give us morning briefings on the best sites to see and she and Nick would make recommendations about the best places for lunch, the easiest routes to take etc. which meant we got much better value out of the time we had in the area than if we'd been left to our own devices. A big bonus from my point of view was the individual pot of great plunger coffee served with breakfast, a good morning coffee being a critical wellbeing factor in our travels! We also enjoyed the surroundings of the village and the farmland while still having easy access the sites we wanted to see.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sally p

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Don't rely on Google to get to this place and don't be put off by the approach to what seems like it could be a mistake. When Nick opens the door, this is worth it; a wonderful boutique hotel. Maggie and Nick are tremendously friendly, knowledgeable and helpful hosts, their staff are unfailingly courteous (couldn't have done without their help getting visas for Greece at the Kusadasi ferry terminal), there are first rate breakfasts, and dinners too (but they don't cook every night), and extremely nice rooms and courtyards, one with a pool - which is what you need after a day on the ruins. And there are plenty nearby: Ephesus (the best of its kind) and Selcuk (pay a local "archeologists" for an unauthorised tour of the grand fortress (still being restored and not officially open to tourists). We highly recommend The Muses House.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter B
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This is an absolutely wonderful place. My wife and I were visiting Ephesus and wanted a place to stay overnight nearby. I didn't know much about the place only having seen an advertisement in a university alumni magazine. It is somewhat off the beaten track- which can be a plus or minus depending on your point of view. The drive there took us through some spectacular scenery. When we arrived in the town the agrarian backdrop made us think we should be prepared to spend the night in a relatively rustic place. But as we went through the door into the front courtyard it felt like going through the wardrobe in Narnia- we were entering a different world.

The place was beautiful and provided a perfect backdrop for my wife and I to relax. Circumstances were such that we needed a place to get away from it all and catch our breath. The Muses House was perfect.

Our dinner was excellent. The room was equisite.

Most importantly our hosts Nick and Maggie were warm, helpful and genuinely interested in doing whatever could be done to make our stay as enjoyable as possible.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank randy h
Washington DC
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Seeing Ephesus--one of the great sites of antiquity--is a hassle. There are hordes of tourists and most of the accommodations for them are ordinary. But the Muses House is special, a five-room inn runs by British ex-pats Nick and Maggie Justice. Outside the gate is a dusty street in a tiny town; inside the gate is a garden, a pool, well-appointed rooms and a thoroughly civilized atmosphere.
We flew to Izmir and the Muses House had a car and driver waiting for us. We stayed there the night before our excursion to Ephesus--about 15 minutes away. Maggie had recommended and arranged a private guide for us; we arrived at the site about 8 a.m. and avoided the worst of the tourist mobs, enhancing the experience of seeing Ephesus.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AndyWashingtonDC
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 25, 2012

After 60 years of traveling in five continents, this was the nicest place I've ever stayed. Maggie and Nick treated me just like family and, since I was traveling solo, after a horrible trip from New York to Istanbul via Rome, this was "just what the doctor ordered.'
After sleeping until 10.30 my first morning there, Maggie called to offer me a breakfast tray in my room. They even introduced me to their own favorite restaurants and two wonderful guides to see somewhat less crowded sites since I was at Ephesus about ten years ago. The meals were divine (and I'm a bit of a foodie). All those fresh fruits and veggies, right from the trees in the garden. My room was so tastefully furnished and the living room absolutely charming with a wonderful library. I have recommended The Muses House to all my friends since I came back and would return there myself in a heartbeat. Even if you don't have a rental car, they will quickly find a reliable car and driver for you.

Room Tip: I saw all the rooms, all beautifully furnished and appointed but, since I stayed 8 days I was given...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Three friends and I stayed at the lovely Muses for a few nights in July. Rooms are a bit small, but well-appointed. The food was delicious. The owners are lovely people who will go the distance to assist guests. Getting there from Izmir costs about $80 each way. You may be awakened early by the call to prayer, but that's a feature of Turkey. I didn't make it into the very inviting pool, so would stay there again if I ever go back. The hotel isn't cheap, but the overall value is well worth it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We arrived in the dead of night, five exhausted friends, half asleep and relieved to have left the rain (and the children) in London.
The little wooden door which is the entrance to the Muses gives nothing away and we weren't sure we were in the right place as we gingerly rang on the bell.
Arriving at this beautiful little boutique hotel really is like discovering the Secret Garden. The narrow vine-covered passageway opens up into a picture-perfect courtyard where there is a pool and where meals are served. Our fatigue was soon forgotten and the warm greeting extended by hosts and owners Maggie and Nick coupled with a chilled glass of wine before bed, meant we felt at home immediately.
The rooms are comfortable and stylishly decorated and equipped with absolutely everything you could need - bath robes, body lotion, novels and cold soft drinks, the attention to detail is quite unlike anything I have seen in any other hotel.
Maggie and Nick add the personal touch to the visit and they are always on hand to offer advice on the area or even the country as a whole. Or they leave you be and make it seem as if you have the place to yourself. What more could you ask?
We knew even before our three days were up that we would return, and next time for longer. As others on here have rightly said, it is an oasis of calm and relaxation. It really was possible to forget that the bustle, noise, work and children of our everyday lives were just on the other side of that little wooden door.

Room Tip: The room overlooking the pool is the loveliest but possibly not as quiet as others, depending how bu...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirazli
Ephesus Boutique Hotel
#3 of 94 in Kusadasi
Bakkhos Guesthouse
Bakkhos Guesthouse
#6 of 94 in Kusadasi

Been to The Muses House Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!