“Better than a five star!!”
Review of Sterling Munnar

Sterling Munnar
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Chinnakanal
Reviewed February 2, 2014

A picturesque view, serene environment and mouth watering yummy food made my Sterling stay at Munnar memorable. The food was very good and each meal had something to look forward to.
The resort property is huge,clean and well maintained. The rooms have been recenty done up and are very nice. The games room is also well made. The property is a little away from the town. There is a nice trek,up to the devikulam falls and sitadevi lake,an hour's climb from the resort which is very enjoyable.The view from the resort is also superb .Had a super time,here.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cheekychan2014

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Hi i have visited munnar in jan for 3 days.following are the experience which might be helpful to others...
1. Sterling resort is very far from munnar main city(around 20 -25km frm munnar).so if u wish to see the city I sugget u dont go for this.
2. The drive from munnar to resort is breath taking and will remind u of nothing less than Switzerland.
3. However thr r no sign board till u almost reach tye resort...which is sad as u keep thinking whether u r going in right direction or not.
4. Its on the way to thekaddy.
5. Now about resort. Thr resort itself is huge very well maintained and have a beautiful view.
6. This is a complete family resort with lots of indoor activity. ..which include one planned activity evry day like bonfire or dance or karaoke..which is fun.ull c a lot of young couple on honeymoon and lots of big family staying here.
7. Rooms are very good..with good room srvice.
8. Food is not that good just manageable and if u go to restaurants to have food ull find pathetic service..However u can exolore more options towards munnar town
9. It was my first marriage anniversary so the chef and the staff did a reall nice arrangemnet with private dinner and bonfire and hell lots of variety of food. The whole arrangement was fabulous and was cherry on cream of our trip. The chef is a very nice and interesting person. He personally took care of all my requirements so hats off for that.

10. The resort also arranges a lot of adventure activites which are at pretty decent rate.
11. U can also enjoy massage facility (no spa, only ayurvedic massage)which is quite professionally done.
12. Other than this tht r lots of sight seeing places list of which u can get Internet.
13. Wifi is available in lobby only.
14. Over all I had a very good experience....but thr r a lot of other resorts also..which can be explored. ..but might be costlier.

Thnx for reading I hope its helpful to u.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank vijayant11
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We visited this place with a 50:50 chance of satisfaction, but to our surprise it was a great show.
the location being excellent, stff cooperative , rooms decent, above all the food quality was mouth watering.
worth going again

Room Tip: Rooms with the lake view
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank varundhoot
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We had been to this Resort in Aug 2013. It was the time when it was raining heavily and landslides a few kms away from this resort. But our experience at this place was quite good. The staff at the reception and hotel was quite helpful and courteous. We were 3 families including my parents and the rooms were quite good. We had taken a 2 1BRcottage with a valley view and one studio.
This resort is quite far from Munnar city (20kms+) and it would be uphill task to commute up and down each day. There are very few attractions near the resort like a nice waterfall (10 mt walk) and a few tea/spice estates. This resort would be a good place for people looking forward for a relaxing holiday (without sightseeing). The resort has nice benches, watch towers and a small play area (recreational) for the kids. There are events happening each day, but we didn’t find anything attractive during our visit. The resort does have a spa though we didn’t use it. The outdoor activities like Rock climbing, Rope climbing was not operational perhaps due to the intermittent rains.
We got a good deal (members discount) for Dinner and Breakfast but still I would rate this as very expensive. However the food quality and variety was very good. For people looking for a good veggie food, there is a small Rajasthani food joint just outside the resort. But we found the price variation and quantity of food was not big. Since we traveled to Munnar town for sightseeing, we ended up having our lunch and dinner outside. For people used to roadside food, there is a small tea shop who makes excellent “kattan chai” and appams.
This place is worth a visit with family for stay within the resort

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I am a firm believer in the statement "you get what you pay for"
I'm also not the fussy type in regards to hotels. So please believe in my review!
One of the worst resorts I've ever stayed in. Extremely disappointing. I paid good money for the room that I got. The breakfast from the previous tenants remained outside the door as we entered. It stayed there till the end of our two day trip. The shower did not work properly as the hot water was very very mild so I called reception to ask them for advice. One lady at reception said that I had to leave the shower on for 10 minutes in order to get water. After 45 minutes I still did not have hot water. I called again and a gentlemen picked up and told me that i had to leave the geezer on for 45 minutes. I told him that I had left the geezer on for more than one hour. He did not offer a solution whatsoever. I got fed up and I had to use water from the kettle in a bucket to have a hot bath. As I walked into the bathroom on the first day there was a stench I could not cope with. There is no ventilation whatsoever in the bathroom and there are no deodorisers.
I want to change to another resort and I want to talk to the manager. I explained my situation and the lady at reception telling me to come back after half an hour. This went on for about 1 1/2 hours until the actual manager was at reception. They did not offer me a solution to my issue in the end anyway. On another note where do I begin with the service and quality of food at the restaurant! I booked in at about 830 to find not one single table that was cleaned after people have eating on it. I walked around for about 10 minutes time to find someone who could help me. The veg options were atrocious. I went to one section of the restaurant to get food only to be told that it was for a private party. Where on earth was the sign for this????? The next morning me and my husband came up for breakfast and the same story. No clean tables at all. Only after having shouted at the person in charge did we get any service. Believe me we are not such people however we were so fed up by this time!!! The food once again was really bad. We should have stayed at club mahindra!!! Service overall is really really bad. I will never stay here ever again nor will I recommend it to any of my friends. A really bad experience

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank daisy W
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Sterling's munnar property is 20 kms away from munnar town and it is admist tea gardens on all sides. We really liked the first view of the resort location as we reached for check-in. We had booked 2 apts of 1BR each and they were quite big and comfortable for a 2 couples with kids.
Service is good but can be improved upon and food was average.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Excellent location of this Sterling property, about 22 kms away from munnar town. Entire resort is spread across tea estate and it really feels like staying in a tea garden !
Resort is recently refurbished, so maintenance is good. Rooms facing the tea gardens and lake are excellent. Food and general service standards were average.
Just 100 mtrs away is Club mahindra resort and we tried food with them, it was excellent !
Overall, nice gateway for us at munnar tea gardens...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MasterBlasterMumbai
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chinnakanal
The Siena Village
Parakkat Nature Hotels & Resorts
Great Escapes Resorts
Great Escapes Resorts
#8 of 14 in Chinnakanal

Been to Sterling Munnar? Share your experiences!