This is the place to stay at when at Munnar - right in the midst of miles and miles of rolling tea gardens - absolutely soothing to the eye and to the mind.
This was my third stay. I have stayed in the time-share units earlier; got 2 hotel units this time.
1) Location, location, location - incredibly beautiful vistas of tea gardens wherever you cast the eye.
2) Service - as in all Club Mahindra properties, courteous and responsive.
3) Breakfast – decent range and quality.
4) The rooms – fairly large sized for a “Hotel Room”. Large bed. Kerala inspired décor. Specially liked the faux fire place with an electric room heater (cute touch). Even the Hotel Rooms have a small kitchenette (microwave, tea maker, juicer, crockery, cutlery – hidden inside a locked cupboard – just ask housekeeping to unlock it for you).
1) The Bath: This is an absolute disaster. The shower area is exactly 3 tiles wide – too narrow for comfort. This means that there is no place even for a towel rack, which is hence placed above the commode (truly strange), There is a wall mounted dispenser for shower gel/ shampoo in the shower area, a hand-wash dispenser near the basin, a tiny bottle of body lotion, a shower cap and NOTHING else. Better amenities are expected from a property that carries a rack rate of 9000 + taxes per night!
The cracks between the tiles were dirty. I found an exposed rusty nail in each of the bathrooms – got the impression that the bathroom telephones had been removed without dealing with the nails. Positively dangerous - especially in such a cramped space.
2) The Bed: Two single mattresses are placed on the double bed. This means that there is a kind of “valley” towards the centre of the bed where the 2 mattresses meet. Even the quality of the mattresses was poor – lumpy and saggy; resulting in VERY POOR SLEEP QUALITY.
3) The dinner buffet: Priced at 790 plus taxes per head, the dinner was an unmitigated disaster. Although there was a largish range, nothing was edible (and I am quite tolerant and flexible). Had to try and make a meal out of desserts (tiny portions that even an infant would find inadequate) just like my fellow diners on the table next to me. I preferred to spend 45 minutes (one way) and Rs 800 (round trip) to drive down to Munnar for a meal. Yes, that Bad.
4) House-keeping not up to the mark: The level of cleanliness left a lot to be desired. Our rooms were not cleaned for the more than 4 hours that we had gone sightseeing in the morning/afternoon. To their credit, they responded quickly enough once we complained. Get the impression that the team is understaffed.
5) Inadequate furnishing in the room: There is just one side table next to the bed. This too does not have drawers. After considering the space occupied by the telephone, there is hardly any space for you reading glasses / books / cell phone et al. The unit in front of the mirror has a really tiny drawer.
We had asked for an airport pick up and were charged Rs 5000 by the travel desk for an AC Innova. Prepaid taxis are available at Kochi airport (check the airport website for details) and charge a little less than Rs 3500 for an AC Innova. The prepaid taxi service outside the Resort would charge you Rs 4000 for an airport drop (our pickup was subcontracted to one of these guys).
Time share units v/s Hotel Rooms:
The time share units are constructed on a sort of terraced hill next to the Hotel building. A shuttle service from the reception area is available, but only up to the foot of the area where your unit is. This means that there is an element of walking and/or climbing from your drop/pickup point if your unit is located at a height. Not all the climbing areas have hand railings – this could pose as a difficulty to the elderly or those having mobility issues. The flip side is that the time share units are larger, quiter, more private and have better views.
The Hotel unit is a ground plus two construction. The presence of a parking lot means that the rooms on the ground floor would have absolutely NO privacy. You cannot open your windows and hence would not enjoy the views (that are the biggest attraction of the property). The rear facing rooms have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to talk about by way of view – just some rock and a few flower pots – again a score of Zero on the view front! The tea garden facing rooms have excellent views of the tea gardens – comparable to the views afforded by the time share units. However, be aware that the presence of the reception area, ayurvedic centre, gym, dining areas and activity centre in the Hotel block means a continuous flow of people and vehicles in this area – certainly NOT private. The Hotel is an option that I would recommend only to those who have mobility issues!
WOULD I VISIT AGAIN? Yes, on the hope that the management would address the concerns of its guests , I would like to give this property another chance purely because I love the tea garden views that this property offers.
MY RATING: With the essentials of bath, bed and meals drawing a strong negative while the location of the property being a very strong Plus, I rate this property at a 3.25 (rounded off to 3 since trip advisor does not permit decimals).
p.s. Do check out Kerala's Pieta at St. Sebastian's Church, Thokupara - enroute Munnar to Kochi Airport
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Club Mahindra Munnar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Mahindra Lakeview Munnar Hotel Chinnakanal
- Hotel Mahindra Lakeview Munnar
- Club Mahindra Munnar Kerala, India - Chinnakanal