“Defined by your need”
Review of Gateway of Munnar

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chinnakanal
Gateway of Munnar
Ranked #10 of 14 Chinnakanal B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Defined by your need”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I traveled with my wife to Munnar and was looking for some quiet accommodation with scenic advantage as I had heard Munnar to be a beautiful location. Plus I had been married recently so peaceful time was in my agenda. My travel advisor company came with offer at this hotel due to my budget constraints. I checked on tripadvisor and especially, the comment of user SacinDoshi83. I agreed with the hotel booking.
On the day of arrival at Munnar, I actually realized that the location is 20 plus kms from the town center. You see, 20 kms in Delhi is nothing but in hills it is a lot! But we were happy as the way to this hotel was full with scenic charm. Tea gardens, hill view points, it is all good. Plus, we were intended to go to Thekkady next so it saved our journey time there. Plus, for some reason, the Munnar town did not impress me. Too much crowd and traffic and no view of beauty in the vicinity.
I took the cues from the previous reviews on tripadvisor and asked for the top floor room of the hotel when I arrived. I had no problem in getting the so called grand/suite room with big balcony and the best view one could expect at Munnar. For that matter, Chinnakanal should be the ideal place to stay rather than Munnar. As mentioned by other fellow travelers, Chinnakanal has many good resorts and Fort Munnar, which is one of the high-end resort, is just in front of this hotel.
The amenities in the hotel room is basic. However, the bed is new and good. Unclean towels, small soap, no water heating facility, etc. should be expected. Food is spicy and basic, or at least in dinner because we liked the breakfast. Soft and light idli and tasty uttapam with coocnut chutney were ideal for simple breakfast and we did not expect much from this hotel.
From the top floor room balcony, I could view 2 lakes at the distance, hills covered with forest and the best part, the setting sun! This hotel is basic but you could feel you are getting the worth if you are seated on the balcony of its top floor room.
I did not interact with so called 'manager'. For us, the guy named Prabhu was the star. He took good care of us. A hard working educated chap, I think he is the real deal there.

Room Tip: Top floor room facing the front
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jayantchandra

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I have not been to such place where there is such staff crunch in peak season time (27th Dec), no control by management and such bad food. It is a must avoid unless you are looking for a bulk school/ college booking or do not have any other option.

The management was least bothered with the problems of guests. The GM of the hotel (who claimed to have worked with Oberois for 30 years) shouted and threatened that he would ensure that the guest would not be able to go out of Munnar. The manager of hotel took the luggage.. there was no person to do that. Only one person to cook and one person to serve and see the service. Had a word with both these people and they were completely demotivated and talked about past experiences of guests.

The kitchen staff even declined to boil the bottles for my infant and I had to do it myself (They were kind to allow me to do it)!! When I told the same to the ex-Oberio GM, he was unmoved and just walked off. Do I need to say any more?

Rooms were small but clean. Good for a couple but not with kid.
Dinner and breakfast were worse than what you normally get in colleges. Reminded me of college days after 13 years!!

Check-in to this hotel at your own risk and peril on your prestige!

Room Tip: Do not take room close to stairs and Dining area on 1st floor
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AvidTraveller1979_20

Travelers are raving about these Chinnakanal hotels

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The hotel is far off from Munnar. The manager was inconsiderate for the facilities, picked up fight with guest and almost threatened on being questioned.

The rooms were clean and tidy but there was huge staff crunch. Food at dinner as well as breakfast was pathetic.

Room Tip: Avail this hotel only if you can't find any other accommodation. Mostly used for group booking a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BartTheBeer
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed December 2, 2013

While in Munnar - most operators would make you stay in and around Munnar Town which is the city center and easy to commute to all the places of tourist interest. While staying at Munnar Town is great from a transportation point of view - its not the best from a "peace of mind" point of view. We were on a "self drive" visit to Munnar and took the "Thekdey" route from Munnar town and 21 kms later hit this place called Chinnakanal. Chinnakanal and en route is where you find ALL the resorts of Munnar. Club Mahindra, Sterling, Holiday Heaven, Fort Munnar and many more. Sine it was our wedding anniversary we wanted one of the best rooms (within a good budget). We visited ALL resorts of Chinnakanal and the cheapest we got was Holiday heaven @ 3500 a night upto 8000 for a delux suite @ Sterling. We however settled down for Gateway Munnar @ only Rs 2000 a night. Its bang opposite Fort Munnar a 7000/night property. Gateway Munnar had the same room quality as any other resort nearby - as a matter of fact it was better than Holiday Heaven. We got a room with a HUGH terrace attached to it. View and feel of the place is similar to any other resort. The atmosphere in Chinnakanal is much better than Munnar town - the scenic beauty is much better. In all a very good place to stay in and save some money as well. I am sharing a couple of pictures below to get you a feel of the place. Highly recommended !!

Honeymooners might still want to go to one of the other resorts nearby - preferably Sterling or Club Mahindra. Gateway of Munnar is recommended for Friends / Family or Solo.

Room Tip: Take the room on 1st Floor with terrace. thats the best.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank SachinDoshi83
New Milton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2013

we were looking for some where to stay in munnar,and we found this hotel which is in chinnnakanal, away from the town an traffic. That was exactly we were looking for.clen and spacious rooms .nice views recommend a lift..

Room Tip: we had the top floor rooms which has a balcony& good views
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank george2255
Bangalore
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have booked this hotel directly through thier site. Its away from Munnar town. After reaching Munna town I called the recption and got the route. First I got depressed knowing that I have to travel again 20 Kms from Munnar town. When I started the journey, I could see some best parts of Munnar in this route. Really worth seeing nature.
Hotel is good one. I stayed in Deluxe rooms. Rooms are spacious for a couple. New furnitures. Quality bed. Clean toilets. Service part need some improvement.
We stayed there for 2 nights. First day sight seeing was actually the route to hotel itself. You could find Suiciding point like spot called Gap road and power housewater falls on the way. Also blue hills, tea estas with mist and tea estates on the way makes your journey to hotel charged.

TIP:Make sure that you start from Munnar before 5PM. After that we could see nothing (on second day while coming back to hotel after sightseeing) the journey was utter boaring as it was too late and roads were covered with mist.

Altogether good experience and would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front get the view of lake and a valley (long view).
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rishi S
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My friend recommended this hotel. I have stayed 2nights from October 27 to 29 at this hotel. Hotel is ideally located away from Munnar town. This makes the hotel ideal for honeymooners. I stayed in room no 301 which has an ideal distant view of lake and tea estate valley. Dat it self made our morning surprising. Actually we booked for deluxe room, but we got upgraded to higher category at no cost. Food was average. Only problem is that other restaurant options are limited in the locality. So we were forced to dine at same hotel on day 1. Second night we had from near by hotel known as Fort Munnar- but the price was too high. Rooms are clean and neat. Bed was superb. 301 have a wide balcony with an outstanding view of nature. Room service was ok. They had only limited parking. I recommend this hotel. Price for rooms are most reasonable too.

Room Tip: Room 301. Good view from balcony
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank priyeshdas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chinnakanal
Munnar Tea Country Resort
#3 of 14 in Chinnakanal
Great Escapes Resorts
Great Escapes Resorts
#7 of 14 in Chinnakanal

Been to Gateway of Munnar? Share your experiences!