“Pretty but deceiving...”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Boca Chica
Boston, Massachusetts
“Pretty but deceiving...”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed for three nights and four days. Many positives about the place. Very clean, the staff tries hard to please and the hotel is right on the beach. The problems: the beach is public and the locals are on it until 4:00 a.m. playing their music VERY LOUD until they finally go to sleep. It (the loud music) begins again at 9:00 a.m. If you walk to town, you are beset by every possible merchant practically forcing you to buy their wares. (pay exactly 1/3 of what they are asking and you'll get what you're paying for). The various restaurants available by taxi (don't walk - dangerous and merchants constantly after you) are quite nice and the food is very good.
We had a wonderful taxi driver, George, who was not only knowledgeable but honest and very interesting. He took us to Santo Domingo where we went to the "Three Eyes" caves that were incredibly beautiful and mysterious. Santo Domingo also had some of the best food we've ever had and we have travelled quite a bit and are pretty picky! S. D. is beautifully laid out and has gorgeous ancient buildings and it is a great place to visit WITH a guide. George kept the merchants at bay and told us so much about this beautiful city. The drivers in S.D. are crazy - driving scooters on the wrong side of the highway, stopping without warning, passing fast and furious. DO NOT RENT A CAR unless you are very experienced with Santo Domingo driving. Also, trash is a big problem in S.D. People throw their plastic bottles, diapers, wrappers and everything else out their car windows so trash is everywhere and that is a terrible shame b/c it is a lovely city in many ways.
We also took a snorkeling trip and that was a big disappointment. We went to an island for a buffet after the snorkeling (okay but nothing really unusual or exciting) and the one restroom had a toilet but no t.p. and no running water to wash hands. At the end of the afternoon there, people refused to go in and were relieving themselves in the bushes. The food was not good - my husband got ill from it. I only ate the very well cooked chicken and I was fine.
In all, we had very nice attention from Mario and even Robert (and his brother who picked us up at the airport and drove us back in - both times at 3 a.m.) who was on his laptop the entire time. George, our taxi driver was truly the best thing about our stay. Ask for him personally if you go.
If we do go back to DR we would probably go to Punta Cana or Punta Plata only because of the non stop sellers on the beach (you can not go 5 minutes without being asked to buy something), the loud music day and night and the inability to get money (atm machines not easily accessible at all).
The rooms at the Hotel Zapata were adequate. AC minimal but ok. Bed small (double) but again, ok. It was clean unless you made the mistake of bringing food into the room. Then, we were visited by a giant cockroach. But, until we brought the pastry into the room and dropped a piece on the floor, we didn't see any sign of any of the critters.
In all, if you want to see the real D.R. I think Boca Chica is a decent place to go. The people are very poor but kind and friendly. We did see many people who had serious health issues (permanently crippled by something or serious eye issues) and George told us that medical care is very expensive there. Poor people can't access it easily.
So, good luck. We liked it there but probably won't go back. It was a little too third world for us.

Room Tip: get a room between the beach and the street. beach is very noisy ALL night b/c it is a public beach...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank swampskater

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Kalamazoo, MI
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed at Hotel Zapata for 2 nights. Our group included 11 people. Check in was great as Roberto and staff working very hard to accommodate our numerous needs. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Location was great for access to beach as well as local restaurants. Only area of improvement that I can see is in food service. All food that we had was delicious but the timing and organization of ordering/serving could use a little work.

Overall a place that I will most definitely be back to stay in as I travel to the DR on a regular basis!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This hotel is a wonderful hotel. The hotel is right on the beach, extremely clean, attentive staff and quality service. The owners treat me like one of their family. I love to visit and can't go enough. Marta makes a wonderful vegetable or chicken soup.

The staff is extremely helpful and courteous. Rooms are very clean. Food is good. There recommendations on activities are great. They provide transportation to and from the airport, a safe comfortable environment and relaxing surroundings.

The owners and staff go above and beyond to make your stay comfortable. I was vacationing there recently and a friend had a medical emergency. If it wasn't for the help of the owners, it could have been disastrous. For ten days one of the owners accompanied my friend and me to the hospital and helped us negotiate the language and medical issues.

This place is a home away from home for me. I always feel well rested after my stay here. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Glenn L
Washington State
Reviewed June 12, 2013

After reading many Trip Advisor reviews of hotels on Boca Chica beach I selected Hotel Zapata for my stay. I was between flights and needed a two night rest. Hotel Zapata was perfect. They sent a car to pick me up from my 3 am arrival. Settled me into a small, clean room with a balcony facing their garden and beyond that the sea. This is indeed a jewel of a beach. Shallow water perfect for families with children. This particular hotel has a fenced in beachside area which allows sun bathing and beach viewing without being approached by the myriad vendors who were pestering the folks at all the other hotels. And because it is at the far left end of Boca Chica is looks out onto a sweet little island...not at the tall working cranes the hotels further up beach view. If modest and quiet suits you I suggest this little hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Seattle07
Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Great place to stay, right on the beach! I stayed a total of three days and I would definitely stay here a when I return to Boca Chica, Great staff, right on the beach. What more can I stay... If your going to Boca stay at the Zapata!

Room Tip: A pleasure....
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ShawnMrP
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I've already been to Hotel Zapata twice this year! It's one thing to have quality service, but it's another thing to be made to feel like family. Marta Molina and the staff are gracious, always greet you with a smile, and the food?!?! I'm typically an extremely picky and annoying health-conscious eater, but all bets are off when I go to HZ! Marta's food is the absolutely best, I wanna put her in my suitcase and take her back to New York with me LOL... The place is clean, right outside from the beach, and you can't help but get into a relaxed mood when you're there. I plan on going again at some point later in the year, Hotel Zapata is my home away from home...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Gerren L
Sanford, Maine, United States
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I recently stayed at hotel Zapata for a total of 12 days and I will definatly be going back. the hospitality was over the top amazing. specifically, Mario and Wilfredo, treated me like a princess.
The cleanliness, blew me away, not only did housekeeping tidy your room daily, but they washed your floor and your lobby floor every day. The cook was amazing. Everyone always had a smile on their face and were eager to get me, whatever I wanted, including, coming to the shore of the beach to bring me my delicious homemade pina colada ! Rob was also amazing and very open to conversation and made me feel like true family.
staff even raked the sand for the most beautiful view , all of the time no matter where you sat
This was an excellent choice for a very reasonable amount of money.
Book today and enjoy a little bit of paradise .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo