“Piece of Paradise”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Zapata
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Boca Chica
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Found this hostel on the internet. Right on the beach with very good reviews at a descent price. I booked it for 3 nights until I could see what I was getting into. In less than 24 hours after my arrival I requested to extend my stay for the duration of my vacation. Although my room was dated with plenty of wear and tear, the cleanliness of my room and the entire facility was impeccable. The view from my balcony was a postcard. Within a couple of days the staff and ownership began addressing me by name and the services usually arrive before you request them. This is one very "on the ball" staff. The outdoor public area consists of hard packed beach sand with a matrix of cobble stone walkways. It is raked and cleaned at least a half dozen times a day. the area is discretely walled and fenced in with a sliding gate exit to the public beach of Boca Chica. The hawkers, hustlers and prostitutes on the beach are kept at bay and are not allowed entrance at will. Security is commendable and the front door to the hostel is locked 24 hours a day and you must ring in to gain entrance. The chef Doris, I'm told, was personally trained by the hostel's Salvadorian matriarch and she serves up a great shrimp scampi, as well as many other delicacies. I want to extend a heart felt "gracias" to Robert, Eduardo, to Mario (a man who wears many hats and makes a great Bloody Mary), Wilfredo and especially to Mercedes (my room attendant, who kept my room spic and span clean and, at my request, kept all my clothing and personal belongings well ordered). She was the star of the show. I'm fairly well traveled and my past preferences for lodging have leaned toward the luxury hotels. In the grand scheme of things this hostel is a 5 or 6 out of 10, but considering the location, price, cleanliness and service, it deserves at least an 8 to 8.5 out of 10. Because of the size and intimate environment, the guests seem to be ready and willing to strike up a good conversation or friendship with each other at the flash of a smile. I departed with at least 3 or 4 email addresses in my bag. I'll be back as soon as is possible. Bob G

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank robert g
There are newer reviews for Hotel Zapata

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Our one week stay in the 2nd floor Beachside Suite left us with much praise for the staff and management. Everyone communicated their goal was to make our stay pleasure-filled. Our balcony was an added treat. and a beautyful beach was only a few feet from our accommodations.

Room Tip: Pequena Suiza, a superior, inexpensve retaurant with an extensive menu and a talented cook was only...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rudolph H
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I loved my stay here, this is a very very clean hotel, the people are really nice, thanks mario. Anything you need they will bend over backwards to make sure you enjoy your stay. I am going back and i will stay here again. Im a single guy, and this hotel is female friendly just make sure they have ID

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank angelo w
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Great hotel, almost directly on the beach and close to the mainstreet. The hotel is very clean and the rooms are very nice. The management is very serviceminded and helpful (I forgot my iPhone at the hotel when I left and they sent it too me). The rest of the staff needs to learn a little bit more about beeing serviceminded and polite ;-)

Room Tip: Ask for one of the 2 rooms on the 1. floor in the building which is closest to the beach. You'll...
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I was here for four days, three nights in December 2012. I had a studio suite on the second floor, which was quiet, had a comfortable bed, reliable hot water and a new air conditioner. The room and hotel in general were immaculate and well-run by an extremely attentive, caring and friendly English-speaking staff. No request was impossible for them to fulfill. Also, they picked me up and dropped me off at the airport, which is only minutes away from the hotel. The Zapata is beachfront with a nice water view. It also WIFI, a bar and excellent home-cooked food. Kudos to Roberto, Jose, Israel, Eduardo, Marta and the cleaning staff. Though I was here by myself, I never felt alone. They really extended themselves and made me feel at home. So much so that I will definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Stargeezer353
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Wow, so I was a part of the first GIVE.SWEAT at Hotel Zapata from 1-18 to 1-21 and it was awesome! The service provided by Cristina, Rob, Jose, Israel, Junior, Marta and Ed was excellent. A group of friends and I traveled from NY to attend the GIVE.SWEAT event, which combined a beach workout with Equinox trainer Gerren Liles and working with Caminante an organization that works with the “Street kids” of Boca Chica to help enrich their lives and provide them with useful programming when they are not in school.

It was a good mix of fitness, service and of course beach and sun! We stayed in a large comfortable room with an awesome balcony that overlooked the courtyard area and with a killer view to the beach. After our workout and hanging with the kids we would either relax on the beach and have a few cocktails or just hang out with other people in town for GIVE.SWEAT. Hotel Zapta also made sure we got to and from Santo Domingo for a night of dancing and enjoying the nightlife via Ed, their awesome driver.

I would totally recommend staying at Hotel Zapata for the next GIVE.SWEAT event or any of the other packages they offer.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

As a U.S. Soldier who recently returned from a combat deployment I hoped to spend my R&R at 1) a comfortable hotel 2) along a gorgeous beach 3) surrounded by beautiful people, you know those things you don't find while serving a tour in Afghanistan ;) My buddy and I found what we had hoped for at Hotel Zapata!

Aside from other things you might find at other hotels along the Boca Chica Beach what you likely won't find is the integrity of Zapata's entire staff!!! After eating breakfast on Sunday morning, one of the staff members (Jose) brought my iPhone to my room which I apparently left on the breakfast table near the lobby area! After Jose discovered I was hungover from the night before he offered to mix some lemon juice and plenty of salt into a shot that actually did assist me to recover. Anyway, Israel and Mario were just as polite and helpful while maintaining daily operations in the lobby and providing security to the hotel each day and night. The owner, Roberto, even fulfilled my request for internet access, himself, in the middle of the night. As you might tell from this post I wasn't the "model" guest I'm sure Hotel Zapata is used to but was respected and felt appreciated just the same!

Roberto, you and your entire staff are awesome (even the diligence and integrity of the maids who paid attention to the smallest details)!!!

Room Tip: Any room on the 3rd floor of the main building or any room in the detached building will provide you...