Be Live Experience Hamaca Suites
$85
$66
Hotel Garant(Boca Chica)
$50
Hotel Mango(Boca Chica)(Great Value!)
$34
$31
NEPTUNO'S REFUGIO(Boca Chica)
$45
Casa Coco(Boca Chica)
$29
$26
  • Pool
Parco del Caribe(Boca Chica)(Great Value!)
$32
Hotel Zapata(Boca Chica)
$62
  • Beachfront
$84
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,592 results
All reviewsbig smile on his facebasic understandingexcellent housekeeping servicesenglish languagelong overdue vacationsanto domingo areago hand in handsolving problemsyour hard earned cashsalt waterfacing the oceanswim up barhotel complexfew wordsspecialty restaurantsprivate beachbeach restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 3, 2013

March 11-19/2013
Nightmare Resort/Area DON’T GO!!! Do yourself a favour & go to Punta Cana area instead.

Last October I visited Punta Cana & fell in love with the Dominican but after our trip to Boca Chica I have a totally different view on the DR as a whole which upsets me because our experience in Punta Cana was one of the best we've ever had.

Positives: weather, swim up pool bar, buffet (staff at buffet & swim up bar were the only good part of the resort) Snack bar on beach

Negatives: To long to list but here’s a few reasons why you shouldn’t stay here
FYI: Don’t believe professional pics resort has displayed here. Many of them are not current & the items shown no longer exist on property ie. Beds in water/beach

Check-in (a sign of things to come)
- Upon checking in the ceiling directly above the check-in counter began to leak all over the counter & guests signing in. (Not a new leak…ceiling cracked & discoloured from water damage)
Room
- No bathroom door, lightswitch on ceiling (my boyfriend found it after 2 days…slept with light on until we found it)
- No phone in room to contact front desk to report any concerns
- Patio door didn’t lock (safety/break-in concern & yes we heard many stories from others who had their rooms broken into)
- Cockroaches in room (daily occurrence)
- Door frame not on properly….could see hallway through the cracks (another break-in concern)
Housekeeping
- Had to ask 3 times for water & only received it after we left maid a lg tip with a note asking for water (mini bar is supposed to be restocked daily with water, 2 beers & 2 pops) Beer & pop were restocked only once during our 8 day stay
- Shower never had hot water; lukewarm at best
- Shower head broken
- Bed cover stained
- Blood on curtains

Resort Property
- Garden & pool suites are separate from main resort (This is where the buffet is located)
- You have to cross the street where you will be harassed by locals on motorcycles every time you cross who constantly beep horns at you & try to offer you drugs/prostitutes etc & yes..they will follow you until you go inside building again
- Prostitutes (male & female) on the resort
- Excursion operators allowed on site constantly walking around the resort & beach trying to offer to get you drugs etc. Doesn’t matter how many times you say no, the next day they will ask you again (multiple times per day)
- Constant harassment from vendors & staff trying to sell you on their resorts located in other areas (watch out for the guys in white polo shirts)
- Lots of corridors that are unlit (very unsafe)
- Security guards on property useless as they were asleep at their posts on many occasions. Also, any person not staying at the resort can get past security as there is an old lobby going to the garden/pool suites that is unmanned

Beach
- Small beach area covered by chairs
- 1 area completely blocked off with a fence even though it is part of the resort (makes beach even smaller)
- Industrial area, all you could see to your right was industrial plants (makes the water that much more undesirable to swim in)
- Topless allowed

Animation Team/Nightly Shows
- Under staffed. Not many activities
- Shows virtually non existent. Out of 8 days only 3 shows, rest of the shows they did what most resorts do as ice breakers as their whole shows. Shows scheduled & listed were changed without explanation or replacement

Disco
- Located on property but used mostly by locals
- Entrance free but you must pay for drinks
- Basically a place to pick up a prostitute. We were warned not to bother even going in as the locals were trying to sell drugs/prostitutes

Boca Chica Town a block away from the resort…DO NOT GO!!
- Every person who walked to town was robbed by intimidation. By this I mean a couple or more locals will “befriend” you & follow you around. They will lead you to a store, bar or restaurant. After you’ve eaten or drank they will try & overcharge you (yes we asked how much the beer was & was told $2.50 per beer) When you try to pay what you owe they will start intimidation tactics to rip you off. This is usually done by having huge locals circle around you yelling & shouting. We were lucky as after a 10 minute screaming match, I threatened them with the tourist police at which time they quickly took the $10 we owed & let us leave (They tried to charge us $85 for 4 beers. Claimed that we owed them money for the table we sat at, the canopy we were under & the company of the locals who sat with us). Many couples we talked to were not so lucky & ended up paying $200 or more to be “allowed” to leave
- Another tactic they will try is claim that they do not take US$, lead you to what appears to be a currency exchange kiosk (they line the streets) at which time they will exchange your US currency with counterfeit bills

My boyfriend & I spent many evenings in our room due to not feeling safe on the resort. Many friends we made while there had their rooms broken into & valuables stolen. Already planning on going away in April to try to make up for such a horrible vacation.

The only good part of this trip was leaving the resort/boca chica locals & area for an excursion to Santo Domingo for the day.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank NatalieC975
Reviewed April 2, 2013

DO NOT stay at this hotel. Everything they advertised wasn't actually how it was. The place was so dirty, the staff was rude and unwelcoming, they did nothing to right their wrongs. I even wrote the hotel and someone replied with this is how you find things in the Caribbean. I am so glad I know that not to be true, otherwise I would never go anywhere in the Caribbean. There are so many other different options that will be so much better that this hotel. I can go into more detail, but to be honest it just makes me mad that I wasted a vacation on this dump. Not only is the hotel gross, and the staff is rude, but they allow prostitutes access to the ground, if they get caught without an all-inclusive bracelet they have to go to the front desk and purchase one for $50. They also allow "weekenders" which are locals to come and stay for $50 a night (which we heard some complaining that its so much higher than it used to be) the resort thinks that this is a plus that adds to the atmosphere, but just like the solicitors on the beach it makes for an unrelaxing experience that makes it seem like so much less than an all-inclusive. I expected a little compensation for my frustrations with the resort, but they obviously are used to having this happen because I was told to deal with it. There were holes all over where the buildings were falling apart... It was all over a horrible experience.

Room Tip: Don't stay here and you will be happier than any advice for a good room someone can suggest to you.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Rachel A
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Everything is pretty good except for the rooms ,no matter which one they put you in there always something either not working or not even there or the room is so full of mold and mildew everywhere ,It's not even the chambre maids fault the rooms desperatly need renovations and they need more staff for the upkeep
I was also amazed at how the male staff are towards women ,they really think we would want to bring them back to Canada with us(I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!)There managers should give them a wake up call,I found them very disrespectfull and very anoying.On the other hand the food was pretty good and the shows too.For the drinks well if your not a big tipper then you really get served last.The beach was ok not great ,well we got some lousy weather for the last four days of our stay but that's not there fault......Boca Chica is not a safe town so don't go by yourselves a few bad things happened while we where in town to some other ladies one lady had her purse snached by a guy on a motorcycle and because she didn't let go she was dragged and hurt and they tried it with someone else but they missed so watch out if you decide to go into town.

Room Tip: ask for the renovated section and insist on a fully renovated room and make sure you get everything that is offered with the room like the flat screen tv and the coffee maker and make sure everything is in working order too
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jessica Y
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The beds were double size and not in very good condition. Most of the furniture was broken, drawers were missing knobs, light fixture in bathroom was falling out of ceiling, toilet seat was missing screw to hold it in place, small TV with no remote, beds smelled musty and after we found mouse turds on bathroom counter the boys said smelled mousy, our door latch would not work so had to remember to check it when using door, not enough towels in room for 2 people let alone 4, no face cloths ever, water wasn’t replaced daily, fridge was restocked once during our stay, the handle broke off the shower in tub but they did come and fix it, the fridge was from the 70’s, patio door was difficult to open. Scared to use the drawers and closets because everything felt dirty.

We did complain about our room and were told they would write our name down and to come back tomorrow at 5. We did this and keep in mind that every time you went to the front desk you waited for at least a half hour, the room they wanted us to move to was worse than the one we had. So then you give your name again and come back and wait again and since we were doing an excursion the next day we didn't make it back, so needless to say we sucked it up and stayed in the awful room.

We also had problems at the front desk getting the tickets for the beach towels, the girl we asked left and maybe went to make them because we waited over 20 minutes and finally asked someone else who proceeded to find some quickly'.

The 3 hour bus ride from the airport was a little much and made for a long day of travelling.

On the brighter side the sand on the beach and the water was fabulous. The grounds of the resort were quite nice. The pool was great. The food was good especially the a la cartes.

All in all I would not recommend this resort to anyone. Although I would love to go to the Dominican again for the beach and water.

I forgot to mention that we even left tips to get adequate towel and drinking water and still that didn’t guarantee it.

I have pictures if your interested. We also spoke to Ney the Sunwing representative at the hotel but all he did was get our name on the list to change rooms.

Room Tip: Not in the 1800 block
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank bennyghc
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Before going on this trip, i read everyone's comment and I was scared.... but then my bf told me not to believe everything everyone says or else we won't be able to go on a trip and thank god I listened to him. We went from March 21-28 and we got a awesome deal leaving from Montreal for 690 per person. I didn't meet anyone there who got a better deal than we did, but it took alot of homework because I practically looked everyday until I got this deal.

Rooms: 3/5 we knew after reading the review that the garden side rooms were bad so before we even got there we decide to get an upgrade to the beach side since we paid less than 700 a person we could afford to pay an extra 30 dollars a night. When we arrived there were no rooms left that night at the beach front so we had to go to the garden view side but we got lucky, the room we had wasn't bad, it was really clean with a nice bed and etc but the only problem was the ac which wasn't working which isnt a problem for me but it was for my bf. The room we had was pool front in the garden side which they revenovated not long ago. My bf didn't like the walk from the lobby or beach to the garden because we always get lost and its about a 15 min walk. Other people we talked to in the garden side had bad experience though because they either saw roaches or they didn't have toilet seats and the ac didn't work. The garden side rooms can range from a 1 star to 3 stars depending if you are lucky or not.
Our second room which we upgraded the next day was beachfront, it was bigger nicer and cleaner. The ac was working fine but we had a problem with the leakage of water in the toilet, we called for someone to come fix it and we were fine for the rest of the week. Another problem we had in this room was that there were no remote control for the television and we called someone to bring one up but they never did. I didn't mind it too much because there wasnt many english channels so we just ended up leaving it on the english channel and never changed it. The view of the beach was beautiful and waking up everyday seeing the ocean was my dream come true so no complaints about that. The walk from the room to the beach was about couple of min, to the buffet is about 7 min, to the garden side pool was about 10 mins so it was good. One thing we hated about the room were the beds, we had a room with two doubles and it was small for the both of us to sleep in one bed. The pillow were not the most comfortable and the blanket had a smell, I actually like the bed in the first room more.

Food 4/5 I absolutely loved the food there, I don't know why people are complaining so much about the food. My bf and I just think that those people are way too picky. I didn't expect the food to be so good, everything was so tasteful and spiced up. The buffet was good, I love the fact that they serve fresh squeezed juice in the morning. At lunch I like to eat at the beach where they have the best bbq chicken and very good hambergers. At night we like to go to the a la cartes. The gormet was our favorite because they have a very good apple cinnamon ice cream desert. The pizza at the italian restaurant is something to die for. The beef salad at the mexican was my favorite. During the last night we went out of the resort to eat at this italian restaurant 5 minutes away to eat seafood. It cost 50 dollars for us to get a one pound and a half of a lobster including a side dish and a mix seafood plate.

Service 5/5 People say that the service was bad, but everyone was so nice to me, everyone greeted me such as in the hallway, toilet, shows etc. I like to tip because they do work hard for their money. Such as in the buffet, everytime i sit down like 4 servers ask me what i want to drink and once i finish the plate they take it right away. I like to leave my maid a dollar each time under the pillow to clean the room, they dont take it if you leave it on the table. I tip the bartender a dollar everytime we get a couple of drinks. I tip the restaurants like three dollars each time we eat.

Activities and Shows 4/5 We had a great time watching the shows, the had magic show, circus or acrobatics, beach party, ideal couple, international show, and karaoke night

The beach party was my favorite and we were contestants on the ideal couple show which we played a few games. The entertainers were amazing, they were nice, funny and welcoming. They were good at what they do and they are basically there everyday.

They had aerobics, games and dance lesson during the day for entertainment at the beach which was fun and a good way to loose the fat from everything you eat there.

Beach 5/5 The beach was beautiful, its a private beach so the outside cannot come in to bother you and hussle you trying to sell things. The only people who tries to sell are those who work at the hotel which isnt too bad but it gets annoying. Everyone they sell i find is a scam because the price is too high but again its a tourist place so what can you do? The beach had soft white sand which beautiful seashells you can pick up.

Lastly, I just want to say that we had a blast because we wernt picky people, the rooms were the only thing that is not a four star but overall the hotel itself is so they are not really scaming you. If you are a picky, high maintenance person then this is not suitable for you. If you are cool with everything then try to get a good deal and upgrade to a beach front like us.

Room Tip: upgrade to beach front or get pool side view for garden side
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple