“From 1st to worst”

Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Boca Chica
Boston, Massachusetts
“From 1st to worst”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I have been going to the Hamaca for over 15 years. I purchased a vacation club when it was a great place to go. I can't believe how bad it is now. You have to pay extra to be by the beach , but can no longer get breakfast on the beach. You have to walk a half a mile for a cup of coffee and a muffin in the morning. If you rent the condos and pay even more, you have to walk even further. When it was the Coral, the Hilton and the Oasis, you could get a nice light buffet breakfast on the beach. The wonderful Dominican coffee would be served to you by the nicest wait staff. In the afternoon there was a great lunch to choose from. Now if you hurry, you may get a piece of barbecue chicken. Not to mention the terrible attitudes the "chefs" have. Later they would put out nice little trays of cookies, it was like having high tea. The pizza stand would open after lunch and serve the best pizza until at least 6 pm. Now it's a towel stand where you have to put a $10 deposit for a beach towel. The BeLive has taken away so many of the nice amenities that made it the great place it used to be. You would spend the whole day on the beach. Isn't that what vacation is all about? Of course, you have to be on the beach at 6 am now to get a canopy. There are too few and those they have are getting old and dirty.
Years ago they had a wonderful little garden lounge next to the casino with a piano player every evening. We would meet there before dinner or for a night cap. They got rid of it to make a larger casino. They then moved the bar right off the lobby which was okay. Now they got rid of that and put their new vacation club salespeople there. If you would like to have a cocktail you have to go all the way down the beach. They do not in any way whatsoever make it easy for the elderly or handicapped whether it be for breakfast or a cocktail in the evening.
The vacation club people are a real pain in the butt. They are totally over bearing.
In the evening Hamaca would have the strolling musicians who were so much fun. Now they got rid of them. If your older or you do not like the loud disco late at night you can forget about a drink and some nice music. The musicians, Jorge and Somale, were there for years. They were great. Now they has nothing. The beach bar was open all night. Now if you want a cocktail after midnight , you have to go to the disco They have cut, cut and cut and gone up, up and up on the price. Try to contact customer service and you can forget about that too. If the BeLive doesn't go back to the great place it was and care about their clientele, they will be a 1 star. Please, please go back to the wonderful resort that you used to be.
I don't understand it. A beautiful location like this and BeLive is bringing it down.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank atjp143

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 21, 2014

After waiting for 45 mins to get my room they finally gave me one, after leaving my luggage and went to the beach at my arrival water was coming down the celling and damagged my luggage and everything inside, when I went to the main desk, they did not care much and any kind of complaning form was provided to me even after I asked . the next room I was given did not have lights in the bathroom the bed sheets were dirty, i checked in on April 13th 2014 and my room towels were changed after I asked on april 16th 2014. I decided to leave on April 17th 2014 when my initial reservation was until April 20th 2014. The outside of the hotel is not safe at all people are waiting for tourist to come out to offer them ilegal things.

Room Tip: if you want to enjoy this beautiful conuntry do not go to this hotel or Boca Chica
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Jose M

Travelers are raving about these Boca Chica hotels

Bayside, New York
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I recently had the experience of staying at the Be Live Hamaca Resort , and it truly was a horrible experience. Instead of going through step by step, I will summarize the experience.
There is absolutely NO early check in. My room had to be switched 3 times when I was ready to be checked in. Each room was just as disgusting as the other. Bathrooms are filled with Mold and fixtures are either completely broken or held together with bandaid materials. The mattresses resemble that of a homeless shelter. They are old thin and yellowish in color. Curtains are broken and will fall apart if you try to move them. The TV is similar to the one I owned when I was 17, and I just turned 45. The reservation process for the restaurants on the site is a complete sham. You have to be present at one of the restaurants only reservation desk, between 7-10 am. I tried doing this on two occasions to find out that by 9 am, either everything was booked , or some of the restaurants were closed. The basically funnels everyone into the Buffet restaurant, where they serve the same food day after day. Service was lacking, and the communication between the upper ranks is non existent. The beach and pools are about a 4 from a scale of 1 to 10. They have two pools, and both were always filled with leaves and bugs. The beach is a very small fenced section that was not very appealing at all. As you look from the beach area , you can not help but look at what looks like a power plant across the bay. :(
This was a horrible resort all in all. I am curious how Travelocity originally had them rated at 3.5 stars????? At the very most , they are deserving of 1 Broken Old Yellowish Star.
Run from this Resort, and pay a little more for somewhere else.
I completely wasted my birthday vacation week at this dump.

Room Tip: Best tip, is to book somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Adrian S
Quebec
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This resort is deceitful. We were so disappointed when we saw our room and very angry. They advertised beautiful rooms with all the amenities and nice beach lounges but when you get there they put you in a very discussing dirty room with one fluorescent light over the bed and lights over vanity not working so you couldn't see to wash your face it was so dark. Curtains were hanging off the curtain rod and cobwebs hang from ceiling. I don't think the floor had been swept. We had none of the amenities advertised such as minibar or coffee maker. They wouldn't change our room until late the next day after our TMR rep. (Eddy) went and complained with us. A big thank you Eddy! We were told that the resort had three types of grades and I guess we were on the lower end as we weren't allowed to use certain parts of the beach! We were constantly approached by people trying to get us to go for a tour of the resort to buy in to the VIP side(timeshare!!!) none of this was ever mentioned in their add. If we had known we would certainly not have booked this resort.i must admit that the gardens are very nice but it is the only really nice thing that I can say about this place. We Will not come back and will pass the word on to all to be aware of this place!!!!

Room Tip: Stay on the ocean/beach side as I think the rooms are better but I did not get to see them so can...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank quebecr2008
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

This is the most bad hotel im visit in Dominican Republic, the guest service was horrible, not hot water on the rooms, they offer stuff when you make the reservation and you never get it. We supposed to check in at least 3 and that don't happen until 5:45 p.m. And they give us a room with people have the same room. When I try to go inside was a couple and the was on th bed having sex and they and me was surprised. That hotel was the most bad experience do I have on my vacation time.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Jonnathan C
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

I went to spend a friendly weekend with my family. It was a big mistake. The staff is useless, the room was dirty, the shower was horribly dirty. And to top it off it was full with old men with hookers. Not a good stay.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank robn321
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Just want to thank you and your hotel staff for the excellent service I have the opportunity to experience from March 25 to march 30 everyone in your hotel when we'll above the call of duty to make sure I had a wonderful time. I want to thanks specially Miss Ana Mercedes Morillo Sanchez for her excellent attention to detail. I will stay at your hotel again I am extremely satisfied with everything my room was wonderful excellent food.
I will recommend your hotel to everyone I know they will have a wonderful time please let's your staff know how much I enjoy there services... I give you A Ten over all..
I will see you again soon
Carlos Echevarria

Room Tip: Corner suites are larger and quieter, feel free to asked staff for help they will make sure your sta...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa
Be Live Collection Canoa
Be Live Collection Canoa
#10 of 16 in Bayahibe

Been to Be Live Experience Hamaca Garden? Share your experiences!