“You get what you pay for!”

BelleVue Dominican Bay
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Boca Chica
Reviewed August 3, 2010

My family and I stayed at the Hotel Hotetur last week for 7 nights. I did my research and read many of the reviews posted on this site to prepare myself for what to expect. Quickly, a little background on my family. I am 33 yrs. old, (Caucasian American (Irish Descent), my wife is of Dominican Descent and our two children (6 and 4 yrs.) are bilingual as well as my wife and I. Speaking the language does help a great deal, however the staff were willing to make an attempt to communicate with us in English. (When they saw me, they automatically thought I did not know Spanish.)
The grounds were kept clean and the maids cleaned the rooms and did a great job at that. We listened to some reviews and I brought $100 in singles. Tipping definitely goes a long way at this place. We left the maid $3 each day and she kept the key card in the switch all day while we were gone so that we would have a nice cool room when we returned. The rooms are not 5 star caliber but you are not paying 5 star prices so you need to be understanding. The AC worked great; in fact, we woke up freezing in the morning because the room was set to 65 degrees Fahrenheit, and Jorge at the front told us not to mess with the gauge because that's how they go on the fritz. So my wife and kids slept with sweats on to stay warm.
I have one major problem with this place; It is not the staff, not the food, not the night life.......... The biggest problem with this establishment is not even their fault. The Locals stay at this place on the weekends because of how inexpensive it is. The locals were extremely rude and obnoxious. Kids cutting in line at the buffet, no manners..... Parents cutting in front of lines, then when I called them out on it, (In Spanish, ofcourse) they didn't make eye contact with me. As if I wasn't even there. I was astonished. So basically, the price is right for this hotel. The influx of people is extremely calm from Monday toThursday. However, it is complete madness during the weekend. Parents leaving their kids alone (3 yr. old kid) at the entertainment show at 10pm. The kids was screaming until a worker brought the kid on stage and they paged the mom to come up and get her child. She smiled as if it were no big deal. Wow, and coincidentally enough, she is the one that ignored my reaction when she cut the buffet line. Oh well, if you travel with children here; it is a nice place. Not the greatest, but nice. Just understand that the other children are NOT supervised, so pay extra close attention. We rented a car and drove into the capital every night to visit my wife's family. Weekend traffic took us 45 min. each way. Weekday 1 hour and 20 min. each way. They also drive like maniacs over there. Do not allow one person to squeak in during a merge, because they will not stop to let you go. There is no courtesy. Don't be surprised to see women holding babies on mopeds either. It is an experience! Sorry for the lengthy review. This Hotel is not as bad as people may put in the review. It is descent. We stayed in Punta Cana (Iberostar) 8 years ago and because of that, we set the bar high. This is nothing like Iberostar but we paid nothing like that too.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,948)

Reviewed July 1, 2010

I live in Dominican Republic and a Dominican friend came to visit from USA so we wanted to spend a few days on the beach and did not want to spend lots of money. This hotel had the best deal. $10 extra for early check in which was fine. The room was normal. Air was comfortable. Water was warm to cool but it is refreshing. The bathroom was clean but we did not bring soap or shampoo because most hotels have this. This hotel does not provide these things. The pools are average. The day passes people can but bring many locals into the place. Groups only and they take up all the chairs around the pool and we staying here can find no place to sit. The animation staff was friendly but it was just local type entertainment, nothing fancy. The beach was quiet but the water in Boca Chica is not the cleanest and when we entered the water we got really itchy as well as others we saw. Everyone was itching. The disco was OK.We were there during the week days and there was not much going on. The food was average. It was filling, did the job but there was nothing that we ate that was noteworthy.
So, all in all, I would say for the money it was good for a few days to get some sun. Staff friendly. Animation team was local, nothing spectacular. Room average but it would have been nice to have some soap of shampoo. Drinks did not taste very good but the beer was always cold.
Would I go back? For a few days yes, you cannot find a hotel all inclusive for this price but I would not tell tourists that have never been to this country to go there for a week. A few days is enough. I would rate it as average.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2010

After skimming through the reviews here and then staying at this hotel, The reviews here were pretty accurate so it seems its in how you look at it and what you really want/expect:
Our poolside room was very nice, the a/c worked great. Kind of like the idea of the cardkey to control the lights/ac, otherwise its such a big waste.
The food at the buffets and the snack bars was pretty good and available (except the diet coke was out the whole time). Their hours were flexible. Its not the Four Seasons but its not priced like it either.
On certain nites, they have a small market type setup outside the dinner buffet where you can shop for souvenirs. It was very reasonably priced and they didn’t hard sell you alot.
Employees were friendly and the animation team/shows were entertaining including the pool dance/areobics. Take a bunch of 1’s and some 5’s. A little tipping here and there goes a long way.
Grounds including pool were very well maintained.
The beach was a little walk but quite beautiful. There is a small area just for hotel guests but it does not extend to the water. The vendors wait for you to cross or kind of nag you over the wall especially once you’ve engaged them but its really not all that bad.
We took a walk into town in the day and evening too. We really never felt in any danger but were not drunk, staggering or looking for too much fun or trouble there either.
Our checkin/out was smooth but wouldn’t try that at 3p on Fri or Sat., the line looked absolutely Huge.
Yes, there was loud merengue music blaring at the pool thoughout the day/evening.
It gets old rather quickly.
They never really kept up with refilling the large public water bottles in each building. We’d have to roam to the next building (or 2 or 3) for water.
No matter how you slice it - an all inclusive within easy walking distance of a beautiful beach for <$100/day for a family of 3. It could be the best “Value” anywhere.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank jeff101d
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Putting it simply i thought this hotel was lovely. The staff are extremely friendly, although English is not a well spoken language, if you are good at speaking spanish you`ll be ok. Anyway it was fun making stupid sign language movements to try and explain things. The grounds of the hotel are kept to a high standard very clean and pretty. The rooms are not fab but with the time you spend there it does not matter much, the only thing that i did not like was the lumpy pillows. I found that if you had a problem it was dealt with straight away.
The food options at breakfast, lunch and dinner were amazing, spolit for choice. the snack bar at the pool was great however i was not a fan of the coffee very cheap and tacky.
The hotel has a section on the beach so you do not get hassled by the locals to buy things and all your bags are safe as you have a security guide watching it whilst you are in the sea. The beach is outstanding for such a small town

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chippy1976
Reviewed May 24, 2010

I keep seeing a few reccuring problems with people who visit this resort and I thought I would try and help with those items:

1. This hotel is located within the Dominican Republic, which by western standards is considered poor. It is a developing country. The Hotetur Dominican Bay is an all-inclusive bargain hotel located on the south shoreline, offering food and lodging at an extremely discounted rate. If you are unaccustomed to traveling within the Dominican Republic, or if you have specific travel needs, you really should be very sure of what it is you need versus what the hotel can supply. If you are a fairly flexible traveler, have no high maintenance needs and are not burdened with debilitating ethnocentricty, the hotel is good bargain.
2. The hotel is not located directly on the beach. It is a few hundred yards from the beach. It is accessed along a hotel-controlled walkway that has a 24-hour armed guard along it. The hotel does have a building located directly on the beach that houses the disco and activites area, as well as a porch that serves as the italian restaurant. The disco is not fancy by any means, but it is very loud and it did get fun when the locals showed up on the weekend.
3. The majority of the staff only speak Spanish. Be prepared for that. An inexpensive hand translator worked for me.
4. The check-in time is 3pm, if you want a room early, you will have to pay $10.00 per person. If you are traveling and had to arrive early be ready for this. If $10 is a make it or break it amount for you, you probably should not be traveling to begin with.
5. You have to use your card-key to run the room electricity. I cannot vouch for all rooms, but mine cooled very quickly after I returned in the evening. I had no problems. I had not stayed at a place that had this type of system before, but I certainly understand from a cost point why they do it. To keep costs down they have to keep expenses down. I was mainly worried about locking myself out, it never happened, but I assume you could go to the front desk and get them to let you in.
6. My bed was hard, I think all of them are. I was able to sleep on it, but if you require a soft place to sleep, I would definitely book elsewhere. One of the pillows was made of large foam chunks. It worked fine, but it just surprised me.
7. The water pressure and heat were not consistent. I was able to take a hot shower everyday, but there were a couple mornings where it was cold only. Changing rooms won't help. It is just something you either decide is worth the savings in money to stay here, or it is not and you should book somewhere else.
8. This is a popular place for Dominican locals on the weekends. Since I was in the Dominican Republic, it was great to be around the locals. It certainly made the disco fun. The locals were mostly families with their kids, being loud and having a great time. Travel during the middle of the week if you are looking for quiet. If you want a resort that has limited or no locals, it would be best to stay at one of the more expensive hotels that caters primarily to westerners.
9. You have to reserve seats at the "spaghetti" restaurant/area prior to noon and you have to go to the reservation desk to do that. I did go by when they were serving, but didn't have a reservation and didn't try the food there, but it seemed to me that it really wasn't worth the price (it was not included in the all-inclusive). The regular restaurant is buffet-style and it closes for short periods as it changes over from offering meals to just snacks to breakfast items. When you check in you are provided times when it is open and closed. The closed times are relatively short and easy to work around. Some of the buffet style food was great and some was wasn't.
10. The hotel runs a fairly strict policy visitor policy. They place a wristband on you at check-in and you wear it the entire stay. The gates are guarded and there is even an armed guard along the path to the beach. This is to protect guests from possible criminal elements, including prostitutes, as is common with resorts within developing countries. My fiancee is Dominican and her wrist band was checked. My fiancee also is older, but looks very young. I would hate for someone to assume she was a prostitute since she was with a caucasian American, but given the problem within the Dominican regarding prostitution, it's understandable. In my limited five day stay at this hotel I saw only one possible "working" girl within the hotel grounds, but she had a wristband on so I could have been making an unfounded assumption. I did see other Dominican/caucasian couples who were vacationing there like I was. There are also many attractive local Dominican women who were there with husbands or family.

Overall, if you are looking for all-inclusive and inexpensive, this probably is one of the cheapest stays that does provide a reasonable return in food and lodging. But along with that cheap stay come some trade-offs. If your room has problems, go to the desk and they will move you. If you get good service, tip the person. I brought $50 dollars in one dollar bill's just for tipping and that lasted throughout the airports and this hotel. I got very good service, the staff I came into contact with was happy and tipping is commonplace in the U.S., so why not there. Courtesy and preparation are key. If you are reasonably well prepared before you travel here and you treat the staff with courtesy and respect, you should be able to avoid most problems, and if they do arise the staff is much easier to work with.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TexasTravelinman
Reviewed May 17, 2010

This vacation we took to the Dominican Republic in Boca Chica Resort Hotetur Dominican Bay here I go, when we got to the hotel it was about 11:00 in the morning anyway check in time is 3:00 so we waited about 1 1/2 then I went to the reception to see why we have to wait until 3:00 to get into the room if the room is ready. The guy said that the room was not ready without even looking into the computer to see if the room was ready. I told him how did he know that if he did not even check. I told him this was ridiculous to wait exactly at three if the room is already paid for. Then we asked if we could walk the premises to check out the hotel and they told us no that we couldn't. If we wanted to walk around we had to pay each 10.00 dollars more I said no!!!!! Then we ask if we could walk outside of the hotel and they said no as well but no one in there seem to understand what we were trying to say everything was no! finally I asked someone else and they said it was ok to walk outside of the hotel. When we finally got to our room it was ok until the night came the only way your air conditioner would work is if you stay in the room because the same card that you use to enter the door is the same card you have to use when your in the room they have a slot to turn on the air conditioner lights etc. so when you leave the room you have to remove the card from the slot and everything goes out again. The bed was like if you were sleeping on a bed of nails hard my husband swore we were sleeping on a box spring. That night I even had nightmares. The air conditioner was not working properly. the next morning we went and complained they change our room they did give us a better room with a better view we did have a balcony and we had the view with the pool. Later on that evening we seen alot of young girls they could have not been more then 14-20 years old with older men. I finally figured out that these girls were prostitutes they were all over the hotel and outside of the hotel. Me and my husband took a walk where they have like a market place where they sell souvenirs etc. At night it becomes a market for prostitution unbelievable!!!! Going to eat our hotel was all inclusive the locals come in for the weekend big mistake if your looking for peace and quiet. I was so upset at everything that I was seeing and experiencing that I thought my flight was for friday the 14 we checked out of the hotel and went to the airport and the guy at the airport told me that our flight was not until the 15 saturday I thought he was joking and told him not to play around but he kept saying it and had to show me the voucher. I almost started to cry I even told him if we could go on stand by and he said they don't do that they were overbooked and that he couldn't even put us in first class because there were no seats. We had to return back to the hotel. Also when it rained the water would come down from the ceiling light onto the floor in the bathroom. the bathroom floor was always wet because of the rain falling and the water from the shower. I just couldn't stay there any longer i could not take it with there rudeness and all the trash female prostitution i saw it was horrible. The first room we had the chain to the toilet tank was broken. we had no phone service which i complained they never give us phone service. my daughter had called one day because our cell phones went dead and that's because the only time we could charge our phone is when we would be in the room the whole day, so when she called the hotel the guy at the front desk said that we were not picking up the line how could we when we did not have any phone service in our room! please take this hotel out of your company it will be bad business for you guys if other people book through you and later on find out how terrible there vacation went. thank you. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Subject: RE: Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 09:19:03 -0400

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank carroyo
Reviewed April 3, 2010

It's a nice place to go and get away for a few days if you're looking for some R&R. It's nothing fancy or modern but it's nice and clean and they treat you very well. The staff does it best to attend to you in many different languages. There is no ATM on site, but you can buy Pesos at the front desk to buy things in the local shops. You can also sign up for different tours in the lobby. Most everything you need is in the resort.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends