“Spectacular”

Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Boca Chica
Santo Domingo Province, Dominican Republic
“Spectacular”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I was on vacation with my family here. We all had an amazing time. The food and the rooms are amazing. The pools and the beach are relaxing, beautiful and exciting. The best part were the animators Richi, Claudio and Maximo. They will get you entertained. Definitely

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Emerly T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed July 15, 2014

I had a really good vacations in dominican bay , the service was super nice with everybody, the thing that for me was the best is the animation team special: richi maximo claudio, I recommend this resort, you won't regret it.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank jailengs
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Stayed a week in this all-inclusive resort in Boca Chica while doing some volunteer work for a local church. Very nice and helpful, mostly college-aged, people working in the customer-facing positions, and most had a decent command of English. We never had any trouble getting everything we needed handled despite my embarrassing lack of Spanish.

Food was available at designated times served buffet-style in a spacious cafeteria building located roughly in the middle of the campus. The main service area is flanked by 2 large dining halls where you select an available table after serving yourself from the line. The food was usually very tasty, with some hot and cold selections and fresh fruit available for every meal. It did tend to get crowded, with quite a bit longer waits, on the weekend days we were there (they seem to allow more people in to enjoy the food and amenities on the weekends).

Well-brand liquor drinks and Presidente draft beer were unlimited, and our group made good use of them. Name brand liquor is available at a cost. There is a self-serve keg of Presidente in the cafeteria as well, but they won't let you take their glasses out of the building. There are 3 or 4 bars located around the campus, usually near a pool, where you can walk up and order anything you'd like. They do seem to accept tips for the more complicated drinks but it doesn't feel expected or mandatory at any time. Fresh water is supplied in coolers at the bottom of every staircase by the hotel rooms, and it is encouraged that you bring your own canteens/coolers to keep a supply for yourself. You'll need it after a night of "free beer"!

They offer a beach club area across the main road from the hotel/dining campus, with armed guards watching out for your safety as you cross the public-access street. You'll see young guys on scooters zipping up and down this stretch of road as they make deals over the fenceline and run off to fetch whatever their new friend requested. From the offers they shouted, anything and more was on the table. I would expect to be ripped off at the VERY best making deals this way, but maybe it works. There was no lack of action in plain view, so it would appear to be tolerated, if not encouraged. But I digress! The beach area has its own bar, and buffet, with limited seating under cover and a great view of the beach and waterfront area. There is also a dance club in this section of the resort that plays Latin, EDM and Hip-Hop late into the night with their own bar services inside.

The resort maintains a very short rock wall that marks their property, and the Hustlers are not allowed to enter. They are not shy, however, and will stand against this rock barrier and entice you to partake in whatever they are selling (goods, services, excursions, vehicle rentals, companionship... you name it). We were never in danger when we left the resort property, but there was an almost constant sales pitch or proposition from someone or another as you moved through the town. I would suggest non-local ladies travel in groups, but there were plenty of women minding their own business who were not being molested any more than everyone else.

We had a great time, and had no complaints other than losing the unearned feeling of exclusivity when it got crowded on the weekends. I would definitely consider staying here a 2nd time if/when we return to the DR. Neighborhood directly outside of the resort can be a bit rougher than some Vanilla types might prefer, but I never felt we were in any real danger (and it can be avoided entirely by simply staying on campus).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank TGilmer75
Francis R, Public Relations Manager at BelleVue Dominican Bay, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Guest, On Behalf of Bluebay thanks to spend your holidays with us! I have reviewed your comments with the staff and we are really happy to review that all our efforts are appreciate by our invaluable guests. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,
Miami Gardens, Florida
Reviewed July 4, 2014

The Bellevue Dominican bay hotel is great. I recommend that hotel to anyone who wants to go on vacation to boca chica. The hotel is clean, the people are very nice, humble, and friendly. The many varieties of food. There are many games for adults and children. I recommend a few people if someone come go to Bellevue Dominican bay hotel to ask for first, the animators: Richie, Estefany, Vladimir, Maximo, Claudio, Yonior, Milagros, and Ricarena. The Circleone: Carlos, Francois, Marie. Security : Jameson Louis.

Room Tip: Ask for Francois or Carlos, Marie
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

On Behalf of Bellevue Dominican Bay staff thanks for spending your holidays in our hotel! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Cordially,
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I stayed at this resort for one night with a group of 25 because of its proximity to the Santo Domingo airport. The lobby and initial impression is very good. The employees were all pleasant and helpful. My second stop after the lobby was a resort restroom nearby that indicates that it is a very nice place. The grounds are pretty. The dining hall is pretty but the food was not good. The rooms were very shabby. Many among our group have various complaints about the accommodations, from smoke smell to mold to broken toilet seats, shower heads that came right out of the wall and flooded the bathroom, etc.

My biggest complaint and warning to all, however, was the snorkel experience 14 of us paid for. I believe it was a first-time snorkel experience for all of us. The tour was cheap (only $10 each...should have been a red flag). We paid up front, found snorkels and flippers for everyone (except one person...they did not have enough flippers for all) and loaded the boat. There were no life vests on the boat nor were there any in the office. The driver dropped anchor in an area of water with white water waves breaking nearby and offered no instruction other than "put the tube in your mouth and breathe." He did not get out of the boat. We entered the water. With no snorkel experience and swiftly moving water, many of us (including 7 teens) began struggling immediately and realized we were in a dangerous situation. The men of the group struggled to get the youngest and smallest back into the boat, but we had already moved quite a ways from the boat and were fighting current. The rest of us helped each other but it was quite a scary situation. The driver offered no words of apology but said he would take us somewhere more calm. The next location was definitely calm and more shallow, and he told us to get out of the boat. Only a few actually did, but found themselves getting nearly run over either by our own boat (as the driver had not turned off the engine) or other boats coming right by us. With everyone back in the boat, the driver said we were out of time...then had the nerve to remind us to tip him. Thankfully we all made it back to shore but honestly, this business should lose its license... if it even has one. DO NOT TAKE THE SNORKEL EXCURSION!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank karenmomx2
Francis R, Public Relations Manager at BelleVue Dominican Bay, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing our hotel as your holiday destination.

I have reviewed your comments with the staff, and we sincerely regret any inconvenience.

Here at Bellevue Dominican Bay we always take on board all feedback that our much valued guests leave with us, as this is an excellent way of the hotel moving forward and making
improvements, we will specially follow the situation with the snorkeling company as they are an outside provider, so with that in mind we thank you kindly for all of your comments.

Best regards,

Travelers are raving about these Boca Chica hotels

North Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Reserved a room a week prior to arriving, when I got there the hotel was booked. I was taken to another hotel for the night. The manager in charge of the front desk was very disrespectful, he didn't care about my reservation, I was told the next day that I had to leave the other hotel. I had to carry all my luggage about a mile walk back to Bellevue Dominican Bay. I demanded a room, when I was given the keys, the tv didn't work, the ceiling above the shower was dripping water. No towels to take a shower, had to find someone to give me one. I had a very bad experience, the food will give you diarrhea. The only good thing was the bartenders, they were great, especially Glenny. The entertainment was okey, and the beach was awesome, except for the drugged up people begging for money. The only reason I would return is because it is a cheap cheap priced hotel.....I was there two weekends ago.....

Room Tip: There is no good rooms, everything is out out of date.....
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 241elvisr
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 18, 2014

So, this was a budget hotel. The cost was 169. befor tax with everything included. It was a Transat Vacation.

If you're someone who enjoys laying around in the luxury of a 5 star hotel room, you may be a little disappointed. The rooms are run down, someones panty hose were drying on the lamp shade when we came into the room. I've been all over the world and never seen that before. We had to change rooms because the A/C died. The beds were hard, some of the rooms smelled a bit. For us, these were all very minor things.

We walked around Boca Chica, we put together our own tour, we met great people from all over. Americans, Canadians (us), Venezuelans, Briazilians, German, British, Russians all met there and having a blast. We went into Santo Domingo, which I highly recommend.

It's fair to say that this hotel needs a little TLC but for the price and the great location, its well worth it, if you're looking for a budget vacation. If a little dirt, some mould, weathered furnature, or someone elses pantyhose throw you off, you may want to pass.

We are a gay couple and had no problems finding other gay people to hang out with. We even paid the local cops for to watch and keep us safe while all 15 of us skinny dipped.

This was a great vacation.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
#10 of 16 in Bayahibe
Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio

Been to BelleVue Dominican Bay? Share your experiences!