“Horrible place”

BelleVue Dominican Bay
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Boca Chica
“Horrible place”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My best friend and I decided to take a brake in February and decided to go to the Dominican Republic. We got to the hotel around 3AM that Friday and although we paid for the best room, we were placed in a room that was completely inhabitable, it was dusty and the smell was horrible so I was congested the following day. We called to request a change of the room and the guy said that was the best room they had. They ended up switching our room three times; Room number one had a leak in the bathroom, the bathtub was dirty, it was definitely creepy. Room number 2, had a leak in the hallway that they "couldn't fix" so they moved us to room 3 that had no leakage at least, but we noticed that they had rented the room with the leakage and pretended that they didn't know about the problem. the beds were hard and the pillows felt like they had taken a bunch of old rags and stuffed the pillow case with it.
Now the food and drinks was the worse thing I have ever encountered in my life. The food selection was absolutely hideous, it does not reflect the Dominican food in the slightest way. The drinks were disgusting including the juices that tasted like cheap powder juice.
I recommend that if need a vacation, just pay a few more bucks for a place that you can actually enjoy.

Room Tip: Stay away from this place
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank dinety2k

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Buffalo, New York, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I are saving for a home but wanted an inexpensive getaway. When we booked this trip we both understood we were paying a great price to stay at a 2.5 star resort. If you go to BelleVue thinking you are staying at a 5 star resort you are going to be highly disappointed but if you go in with the understanding that you paid a reasonable price for reasonable accommodations you will be pleased.
• My husband and I are vegetarians so we ate a lot of rice, beans and vegetables. The food was fine, not great but just fine. Because we saved so much on the accommodations we did eat off site a few times (Italy & Italy is a must!)
• The room was clean (maids were friendly and through). I did bring my own pillow after reading other reviews but my husband did not mind the pillows provided.
• The beach was relaxing and well maintained. We took the kayak out and used the snorkel equipment (both free). There is a short walk to the beach, but it is a lovely walk.
• The pools are clean and enjoyable.
• Nightly after dinner my husband and I played cards by the main stage and watched the entertainment, it was cheesy but fun.
• Avoid the guys who hang out by the buffet around breakfast and lunch, they will try and get you to sign up for a vacation club. Just say NO!
• The drinks were not watered down as much as they were small; I usually just ordered two when I went to the bar.
• The only Spanish I knew was me gustaría and it served me well.
Overall the rooms are adequate (2.5 star quality) and the grounds are beautifully maintained.

3 Thank Amy C
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The staffs seemed uninterested in assisting the patrons

Sliding door did not work, therefore the room could not be secure, although it was reported no one came to fix the door.

Bath tub was rusty, water turned off in the middle of taking a shower

Food was unpleasant; the drink was bottled in old used container which was not sanitary, got sick from it-worst I came across in my travels

This hotel is equivalent to a run down motel with very bad service

3 Thank Dr CAMUY H

Travelers are raving about these Boca Chica hotels

Bronx, New York
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The food was the worst I have ever had in my life and I've had some bad food in my past. Now in the beach area you will find the locals making some off the chain fried fish and Couch but be careful if your like me and have a weak stomach. The AC never worked the drinks were watered down but it was fun when the group and I went to the disco which is the highlight. Be careful if your trying to get your freaky freaky on because you will get hustled if you get caught up with the wrong people. Women out there rating 5 out of 5. Hotel 2 out of 5. And food 0 out of 5

Room Tip: You can't bring guest from outside.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
USA-Virginia
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Read reviews before our stop at this hotel, so I was ready for issues.
Decided to stay here because we tookour cruise from Santo Domingo and needed to stay one night after cruise closer to airport and I picked this location to relax one day on the beach.
What to say? If you plan to stay here for several days you may pick a different location.
Why? This hotel I would barely recommend to most of people. There is pool buffet restaurant, rooms, beach, front desk and so on, but in all areas hotel need improvement and in some a lot.
I would give it 2 stars. Rooms run down, buffet with a small choice and not the best looking food which often run out, May be there is soup but no spoon for it and you need to ask staff if they willing to help you. Quality food in general low. Usually staff not very happy and smiley(who cares really). You want wine? No problem you can have it for dinner from a dispenser and who knows what kind and it does not taste right. But there is one red and one white if it is what you care. During our one night electricity twice went out, second time for good. Only one restaurant-buffet. Read that if you stay there more than 5 days you can go one time to another restaurant. What a lucky people. Stayed before in couple of all inclusive resorts in Mexico and it was very different experience in all component including service.
I am pretty sure that there is plenty great resorts in Dom. republic with it.

Beach. Not too bad and again if you not picky and view of port and hasslers bugging you every 2 minutes do not bother you. Do I forget to mention that resort not on the beach but may be 5 minutes walk. On positive said that is free drinks on the beach from resort and if you stay away from the beach and closer to resort hasslers would not bother you.

Entertainment. There is little bar near stage and show was surprisingly good for this resort and dancers impress us.

Price. We got really good price for one day and if it is your main concern may be you can stay here and if you have nothing to compare to you will enjoy staying there.
Also it attracts mainly young crowd mainly from Europe so it can be fun.

So my advise to people who consider this resort look in other directions unless you care only about price.

2 Thank kaluga67
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My best friend and I decided to take a break from the cold weather and go to the Dominican Republic for a few days, so we decided to save a few bucks and went to the Dominican Bay. Big mistake, this hotel was a nightmare! first we booked a "Premium room" we got there late at night and the host Juanicito put us in the worst possible room! it was dirty, it smelled like dust, the sealing was leaking, the pillows were felt like if they were filled with car-wash sponges. curtains were ripped, and there where only two towers and one was dirty. the furniture looked old and dirty. We complained and he said that he gave us the best room, we must wait until the next morning. On the next day we complained again and they put us in a better room, but this room had problems as well, the sealing was leaking so much that when we woke up the floor was completely wet. We complained again and they sent someone to check the problem and came to the conclusion that they couldn't fix it, so they put us in another room that was very unsafe, the glass door of the balcony didn't lock so we felt very unsafe in that room, the next day we noticed that the room with leaking sealing was already given to some other guest instead of fixing it, that guest was also complaining about the sealing. food, same menu every day, by the third day you get sick of eating the same thing every day. A la cart restaurants where very cheap with their food. The drinks are free but horrible!! no fresh squeezed juises, nothing fresh, everything was from concentrate juices that tasted horrible and loaded with sugar.

Room Tip: Go to Be live Hamaca or any other hotel, dont book this hotel, but if you must, stay away from block...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Peripateticmuchacha
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I've stayed in budget hotels all over the world, many if those located in Latin America. Never have I ever stayed in such a horrible hotel. The hot water didn't work, the pillow felt like it had rolled up socks in it, the room was ancient, I'm talking real old, the TV sucked, the grounds kinda sucked, the food sucked, the people who worked there were okay, and the Internet was non-existent. All in all, I'd say stay away. But if your one of those morons who doesn't listen to a review that slaps you in the face with some truth, then please be my guest.

Room Tip: Ask for hot water. Seriously.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
#10 of 16 in Bayahibe
Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio

Been to BelleVue Dominican Bay? Share your experiences!