“so so”

BelleVue Dominican Bay
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Boca Chica
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The property is pretty and has access to the beach via a private bridge. That being said THE FOOD IS HORRIBLE !!!! Ok i get it that for the price I wasn't expecting too much, but cold nacho cheese from the can being passed off as cream cheese for breakfast ? If you stay here my advise would be enjoy the beach etc but eat in town with the money you are saving from booking a better hotel

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 7, 2012

My husband and l have just come back from this hotel, Its seems they care for the outside more than they do their accomadation, the beds were rock hard and we suffered with are backs for most of the time we were there, my room nether had a hairdryer and the sliding doors to the balcony did not lock, we reported this and was told they would sort it out in a couple of hours but never did. My husband was taken ill and ended up in hospital. So by the end of our holiday we were glad to get home. Who ever gives the star rating should re think. Most of the staff were very pleasant but wish they understood a bit more English.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lynda m
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I have stayed in some really nice hotels and I have stayed in some really crappy ones and typically I am not going to an A/I to stay in the room. I only use the room to shower and sleep and that is only after I drink and eat myself into sleep.

This property is a low budget All Inclusive!!!!! So, with that being said....let me begin.

A bit disappointed with the accommodations, the saying is so true, "you get what you pay for", but for $45.00 per night and 3 solid meals per day and most importantly all the adult beverages you can handle, you can't really complain. Or can you???

The room:
Bed rock solid, body hurt every morning, but the pain started to go away about 10:00 a.m., right when all the bars opened up.
Great balcony, facing the pool, lots of people watching. Lots of guests from European countries and tons of locals like to stay there too. The property is listed as being right on the beach, guess in a sense it is, but to me, it is more like, across the street, down the path, around the corner and through the tree house and then down the steps again. The beach is not easily accessible for folks who may require walkers and/or wheelchairs from what I could see.

Now that I have taken you down to the beach, let's talk about that:
Vendors, vendors, vendors......watch out and beware!!! If you do not want to be hassled about buying stuff, wear dark shades and don't make eye contact with them. They wear blue shirts and some wear yellow. They are selling cigars, necklaces, paintings, I think I might have even seen a couple of males selling themselves. Hair braiding, massages, pedicures, fruit, conch, shrimp, coconuts. And if they didn't have something you want, they sure know how to find it for you. The Vendors can spot new blood a mile away and they will swarm you like bees. So with that being said, the beach for the guests of the hotel, is blocked off by rocks, the vendors can't go inside that area, however...when it is time to go down to the ocean, you have to leave the rocked in area, so ignore the vendors or be convincing when you say "no" or run. Within the rocked in area, you will find a full bar, tip the bartender ONCE a day, give them anything from a couple of dollars to maybe a $5.00 and your drinks will be good and powerful!!!! Lunch at the beach is served at noon and the rice and beans are very good. Not sure what kind of meat they use for the hamburgers, so I typically stayed clear of those. The beer of the island is Presidente and that is always nice to have with lunch. Lots of flies and bees, so watch out, bringing those sweet drinks back to your lounge chair. The locals beg for food and drinks/water, if you choose to share, the Security Guard at the beach takes a blind eye to all of that. If you smoke or like to take in a nice cigar, the locals will ask for that too, just depends I guess, on how generous you want to be. The ocean is clear and very warm. The warmest ocean water I have ever felt. Just simply wonderful! Overall....my beach experience was great!!!! Now let's go to the dinning room and talk about the meal experience there.........

Dinning Room:
Quality of food was good and typical for the Caribbean. The potatoes chunks were always cooked too hard. They prepared some sauteed potatoes, which were very good, so look out for those. For breakfast, they have a chef that will prepare your eggs to order. They scramble the eggs too hard and mash and brown the omelets way too much, so if you are one who likes your eggs scrambled soft and your omelet with no brown on it and fluffy, you will need to monitor very closely and tell the chef when to get it off the grill. Same for your over easy's, they will cook those eggs to death.
Only ate in the dinning room for lunch once, it was okay and almost the same foods as for dinner being served. My biggest frustration with the dinning room, was there was no control. The food was put out and when it ran low and/or completely gone, the chefs were sometimes slow to replenish. The soup once gone, was never replaced and that would be the same for the hot cereal in the mornings. And worse of all, the flies!!!!! Uugh......flies buzzing around and resting on the beautiful breads, they had linen to cover the bread, but once a guest uncovered the bread to get some, they would usually forget to cover it back up. One morning I had pancakes, which were very good, until the fly got on my plate and on my pancake and stuck in the syrup. Uugh!!!!! So my overall experience in the dinning room was so-so. It just depends on the time of day that you get there for the meal. Typically if you go when the food is first put out and before the place turns into a mad house, it will be a good experience. I disliked the craziness of the guests, as if they had never eaten before and the sloppiness of their serving themselves and the mess not being cleaned up in a timely fashion, the flies every where were a turn off for me too at times.

I know that I am probably going out of order, but now we are going to talk about the lobby, which is the nicest part of the hotel and I will tell you about the pools too.

Lobby:
Lines and people everywhere, usually starts about 10:00 a.m. every single day. So hopefully you will check in before 10:00 a.m. and/or after about noon. There seems to be multiple folks working behind the desk, but only one guy seems to know what he is doing.

Pool:
There are 2 pools. One is the big massive pool where every one goes, mostly locals. I saw people in the water drinking cocktails, they were probably eating in it too and with food and drink you know what else they were using the pool for. The pool has chipping paint in the bottom. Off to the side, there is like a smaller round pool, not sure if that is supposed to be a spa type thing, but mostly children in it. Water looked foggy and had some leaves in it, which probably can't be help due to all of the trees in the pool area. One morning I got up and looked in the pool before the pool opened for the day and saw plastic cups in the bottom of it. Yuck! On the other side of the Lobby, they have another pool, which is supposed to be the "quiet" pool. It was much nicer, it appears that they put more time and upkeep into that pool. However...by mid day, it was not so quiet anymore, children were in the pool too. And it all goes back to what I talked about pertaining to the dinning room, there is a big lack of control here. Plenty of security guards walking around in the pool areas, but not governing who should be where and keeping your food and drink out of the pool. In the U.S., if there was food and/or drink found in the pool, the pool would be shut down and drained, cleaned and refilled. Not here, so watch out for and go in at your own risk.

I read that this place has a disco???? Never found that, but they do have a stage like thing and a DJ, so I guess that was the disco??? Anyway, I played a couple of rounds of BINGO, which was free, the prize(s) was Dominican Rum. I didn't win. LOL! And there was karaoke, which was interrupted occasionally due to the black outs. Oh, yes...I forgot to mention that. The power goes out, property wide once or twice every night. Have fun with that. Once the lights go out, if you are walking, just stop where you are, until they come on again. This place gets super, super dark, you can't even see the person next to you. They do a good job of getting the lights back on super fast though.

Overall....my stay was okay. I wouldn't out right recommend to my family, friends or co-workers. If they ask me where I stayed, I would give the name of the place and keep it moving and let them make the decision to stay there or not on their own. Would I stay here again? Not sure.

Put it this way, if I found another A/I place, for the same rate or even a few dollars more, I would probably check them out, before booking here again. Like I said earlier, you get what you pay for.

Oh yes...I forgot to mention...when you walk out of the dinning room, they have sales men, trying to get you to go on a presentation. A presentation of what property??? Dunno, didn't do it, couldn't do it, that was not what I was there for. I had enough sales any way from the vendors at the beach. Leave me alone!!!!! This was my decompress time!!!! I do not want any gifts, no free stays any where, I need none of that, but thanks though.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sd_callis
Reviewed June 14, 2012

First the good.
Ruth with costumer service did everything she could to try and make our stay comfortable and I thank you very much. Junior who I think is a manager in the buffet dining room is the hardest worker I have ever seen.
To the two of you, should leave that dump and get a job elsewhere. Anyone would be glad to have you as employees. Your services are lost in that compound they call a hotel.
Also most of the women who work in house keeping and restaurants are very concerned about you comfort.
Monday through Thursday this hotel is so empty you think you are at your own private resort.

Now the bad.
I have never written a negative review in my life until now.
I was traveling with my 77 year old mother and my partner. I had bought the Premium Deluxe package which was the most expensive package they have. It was not much more than the standard but I didn’t want any problems.
Don’t Bother buying the upgrade they only have one type of room. Crappy and crappier.
My first room Block 12 at check in was so beat up with bed linens that look like they had been around for 10 years. I thought what did I get my mother into. We could hear the music so loud in the room from the pool area we walked on to the patio to take a look. People were right up against our patio with their pool chairs to get out of the sun. plastic glass all over from the drinks served at the bar.
I will say the ground are beautiful except from Friday afternoon until Monday morning when you kick your way through the rubbish that the locals who come for the weekend leave all over.

I went back to the Front desk and talked to George and told him the room was not expectable and was too loud. His response was the music stops at six o’clock. I told him I don’t care I want another room. I left my mother in the room with the luggage and my partner and I went to he second room. We walked in the room in Block 15 the music was much less noticeable but the room was still a dump. When I say dump I mean filthy walls and closets and bed linen I saw no bugs for my entire vacation. I thought this must be the way the hotel is and what can I expect for the price. I went to turn the hall light on and it didn’t work I went to check the light bulb and the fixture was full of water I don’t mean a little water I mean full of water from the ceiling. I left the room got my mother and our luggage from the firs room and went back to see George at the front desk.
I told him I bought the Premium Deluxe package so I didn’t have to experience these Kinds of problems. He told me “WE ONLY HAVE ONE KIND OF ROOM” I told hIm what I have seen was unacceptable and he gave me a key for Block 19. I left my mother in the lobby and went to take a look. The room was clean their was a small empty refrigerator in the room (which stayed empty the hole week I don’t know what it was for. Most all inclusive usually stock with beer) The bed linen was newer and the speakers to the music was facing away from the room. Their was no towel rack (Broken) there was no toilet paper roll holder ( broken) everything was setting on the sink. But at least the room was clean.

I gathered my mother because we had been traveling all day and excepted the room and figured I would deal with everything else in the morning. Morning came I asked to see the Manager and was told his name was Palo but all complaints must go through Ruth. Like I said earlier she got the problems with room fixed in a matter of two hours.

I never saw the Manager the whole week or heard from him at all. I complained to my travel provider about being charged for a room that doesn’t exist “Premium Deluxe” That the hotel itself said they only have one kind of room and I wanted a refund for the difference. They got a hold of the Hotel manager and he talked to them because they are a mega booking site. And he Lied. Told them that they gave me the best building and the best room all the room in build 19 are “Premium Deluxe” and he would not refund the difference. He forgot to mention the two crapy rooms he first tried to push off on us. The Travel site has sense rectified the problem to my liking but a word to the wise.

DO NOT STAY HERE
If you ignore this post you get what you deserve.

But all said and done even a bad experience is an experience.
Peace and good travels

Room Tip: Keep asking until you get a room you can sleep in.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Richard A
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Dear Richard, It seems there was a mistake with your booking, since this hotel only has double rooms. I sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences. Feel free to contact us directly to discuss the matter further. We do appreciate the feedback.
Dominican Bay team

Reviewed June 3, 2012

I'm not hard to please, but I found this place disappointing. The room was disgusting- lots of mold, fallen-apart ceiling, broken locks, etc. It took a lot of running around and hussle to get it change to something just slightly better. No advertised amenities were ever provided ( room mini fridge, hairdrier, tv) and drinkable water scarce.

That, and the three and a half hour ride to the airport in a sketchy guy's van, which showered up two hours late and nearly made us miss our flight.

I love world cuisine, but the food was unimpressive as well, and just simply odd at time. The french fries were the first to go, because they were 'safe'. This place obviously lacked proper cooking ingredients, and replaced them with the next-best, like their traditional, american coleslaw, only they didn't have the dressing and used the vanilla flavoured yogurt leftover from breakfast. GROSS. PLEASE TAKE MY ADVICE AND BOOK ELSEWHERE!

Room Tip: Just don't, and book a trip elsewhere.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
BlueBayBelleVue, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at BelleVue Dominican Bay, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Dear Marta,
All rooms are equipped with TV, hairdrier, air conditioning and other facilities, though no mini fridge is advertised, I am sorry for the misunderstanding. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience. I appreciate your feedback which helps us get better.
BV Dominican Bay team

Reviewed June 1, 2012

We had a convention at the place. Lobby was very modern and nice. Grounds and garden very well kept and attractive. Meeting room was comfortable and appropriate. They had a quiet pool which was appreciated. All the noise was in the main. pool. But the rest... Rooms need a total renovation, paint chipping, mattresses hard, lumpy pillows, leaky faucet. Decor very outdated and old. Had a Lizard and killed a roach. AC was noisy. No drinking water in the room, had to go out to dispensers to get water. They said they would provide an iron upon request.They didn´t have an ironing board. I asked for an iron 3 times. The third time I requested it to Frank, the supervisor. I am still waiting for it. Nobody brought one and nobody called me about it. The food was poor. Very long lines, they would run out of food and nobody would bring out more. At one point the dessert station had nothing. They left only 2 bath towels, I requested hand towels, I am still waiting for them. They have a walkway to reach the beach, there is no direct access. Nice beach. I do not recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank NRaquel

Dear Raquel,
First of all, I would like to thank your appreciations regarding hotel facilities. We feel we provide good value. I have discussed your comments with staff and it seems there was a misunderstanding with your room. Please accept my apologies.
BV Dominican Bay team

Reviewed May 31, 2012

We were a group of 3 persons traveling for a business purpose. Our routing led us to stay one night in Dominican Republic.
We chose BelleVue Dominican Bay according to the distance to the airport. This was an error.
It's just hard to believe that there are still some comments talking positively about this hotel (hotel staff ?). I had a radically different experience.

It took some time to check in at the front desk.
Each of us finally got their room.
In the first room, a family was already there, with a youngster sleeping in the bed.
In fact a door separated two different rooms and people just established there.
The door of mine could not open with the magnetic card.
The third one was "acceptable". Not that it was a good one, but regarding the others room, we all found out our 3rd colleague to be very lucky.

Both of us who had problems with our rooms went back to the front desk.
The staff totally ignored us for 3/4 of an hour.
Then I got my magnetic key fixed and my colleague was been given another room.
He was very surprised to see that in his room there were some kind of work in progress : dust everywhere, rubbles... He had to go back again to get another room where he could decently sleep.

Mine was populated with an amazing number of cockroaches. The bed's sheets were not what I would call "clean".
I gave up going again to the front desk and decided I would sleep with my clothes on and play a bit of "survivor".
I decided not to take a shower : I would have accepted to share a shower with cockroaches, but was too afraid of contracting tetanus.

About the foods : there was a buffet included in the price. It was pretty basic but still, you can eat it.
I just gave up the idea to take some dessert, because of the queue.

Animation : I can tell how animated the hotel was. But it was not really the kind of animation you would expect.
I just could not sleep. Music 'till very late, well okay it's a touristic area.
When the music stops people come knocking at your windows, your door. People shouting outside and inside, moving around.

I was on the ground floor and got no intimacy. Just some kind of curtains.

To be fair, I must admit I had one joyful moment at this hotel : when I checked out early in the morning the next day.

Just a word about taxis : do not request under no circumstance a Taxi at the airport.
They are thieves, used to work with tourists and will charge you 30US$ to go to Boca Chica, which is very very expensive for a 10 minutes drive, especially considering the country standards.
We negociated a 20US$ trip with one, and once arrived he kept on claiming 30US$. The hotel staff was totally helpless and you can not rely on the police, that is totally corrupted.

Instead of being swindled, just arrange a taxi from Boca Chica to come to the airport and to pick you up.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business