“Ian Jelf experience”

Ian Jelf Guided Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #3 of 7 things to do in Smethwick
More attraction details
Owner description: Guided tours for people who don't "do" guided tours! I’m Ian Jelf, a professionally qualified ‘Blue Badge’ tourist guide for three regions of England: London, the Heart of England and the South West. I’ve been involved in tourism for over 20 years and have had a lifelong passion for sharing knowledge about places I love. Today, as a full-time professional tourist guide, I provide informative and interesting walking tours, coach tours or even trips on a canal boat!My area of qualification covers a vast swathe of English culture and history: London with all its history and contemporary life; Shakespeare’s Stratford-upon-Avon, beautiful Shrewsbury, learned Oxford and Georgian Bath; and vibrant cities busily reinventing themselves like Birmingham and Bristol. And there’s lots more, believe me! From industrial history to beautiful countryside, from large city to remote village, I can provide a personalised tour tailored to your group’s own interests and needs. I look forward to hearing from you.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have been enjoying the Ian Jelf walks for about twelve years now. He does two hour walks around towns and cities introducing the most unusual facts and history ,pointing out everyday things that people never notice. he also does day trips and weekend trips in various places in the UK and I think he also does Europe. He has certainly opened my eyes whenever I am out I always look up to see the old buildings,I look now for the unusual and am thankful Ian has such a passion for his subject that it has enriched my leisure time.

1  Thank 15MaryH

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Ian's amazing knowledge, delivered in his own unique and inimitably witty style, make all of his walks both informative and enjoyable.
In Leicester even the cold and the pouring rain followed by snow, did not distract from the enjoyment of the occasion. Who would have guessed that there is still tangible evidence of Saxon and Roman times within the city centre as well as a peek at 'that car park' to keep up our interest. there was indeed far more to Leicester than Richard 111!
All of Ian's walks are thoroughly recommendable as are his whole day trips further afield.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

What can I add that hasn't already been said ? A fountain of knowlede, funny, irreverent - especially about the french - can't really think why except perhaps because they chop kings' heads ? but then again so did the British - and he loves his 2CV - and buses - and quirky telephone boxes - but don't get him started about the Science Museum, I'm warning you, I'm always worried he'll have a heart attack. Anyway if you've never been on one of Ian's tours, whether a two hour one or a day trip, I can only encourage you to give it a try. The man is a legend and he should be preserved at all cost.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

An excellent tour - well thought out and presented. Ian Jelf is more than well-versed in local knowledge and made the tour both interesting and amusing. His sense of humour is brilliant as were his interactions with the party he led. I am Coventry born and bred and love the history of my city but enjoy seeing the city through another's eyes. Ian made it extremely interesting, covering all aspects of the Medieval city and it's history taking us to parts that often remain hidden unless you know where to look for them. I would most defintely recommend his tours whether or not you think you know the area as he is so refreshingly amusing and interesting.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Ian Jelfs walk's never cease to interest me with interesting facts to places I thought I knew, and the opportunity to visit new places. His knowledge of local and more distant places is amazing but fun to try and remember. I have done some of the walks more than once and often we go somewhere after the talk for a drink or a meal. I like to take photo's and there is opportunity to do that.