“Overnight stay”

and 1 more site!
Haigs Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Balsall Common
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We found the staff extremely friendly and efficient and the hotel is very clean and tidy. Our room was a bit tired but we had everything we needed for an overnight stay.
If you are arriving late and they are having a busy time in the restaurant you may find it difficult to park.
The breakfast was good and service very quick. Just what you need when you are on a busy schedule.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Performance in the hospitality business depends on how customer centric a hotel is.

I am sorry to say that I have never come across a less customer friendly hotel than this. Made a reservation two weeks ago indicating that I would be a late arrival. Rang them the night of arrival to confirm again, since my arrival time was delayed a bit further due to traveling arrangements.

They simply cancelled on me.

A hotel that rejects booked customers the same night of arrival? I have never come across anything poorer than that.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank yannikknipprath0704
Haigs, Manager at Haigs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

We will take your comments on board but please note when booking, our confirmation letter states that check in time is up to 11pm as we don't have a 24 hour reception. We were happy to keep reception open until midnight as agreed with you but then we close as we open again at 6.30am. Unfortunately when you contacted us, there was nobody able to stay until 2.30am in order to check you in. Although check in usually isn't a problem as guests are aware of our policy, we note this situation would have been most inconvenient for you so this we regret

Regards

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Thank you so much McKees, for doing such a wonderful job for my recent 'significant' birthday celebration. Everyone has said how much they liked the food, the atmosphere and the service and courtesy given by the young staff. It was a really relaxing time for the whole family, and started the week off on a high!!
We've never been disappointed whenever we've been here, whether it's just a simple dinner for four during the week, or for a large family party at the weekend.
We always think of booking you first for any important gathering, as it is so easy for people to find and so accessible from anywhere around the Midlands.
Keep up the good work, and a big 'Thank You' again to all the staff.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank johnwroden
Haigs, Manager at Haigs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Thank you for your feedback, it's lovely to hear such kind comments

Hope to see you again soon

Regards

Reviewed March 6, 2014

I booked this through LateRooms as an overnight stay with my wife to avoid too long a journey to Kent on the one day from Glasgow. It was £38.50 for bed and full English breakfast. A two course meal from the a la carte menu was £18.00 but the second two course was free-£9.00 a head! I had crab fishcakes to start with rack of lamb as the main course, absolutely beautiful. The restaurant was busy with local visitors, a good sign. The staff, nearly all family are very attentive and pleasant. The rooms were clean with bottles of still and sparkling water, teas, coffees, biscuits. Large thick bath towels in the bathroom. No complaints and great value for money.

Room Tip: I was in room 19 facing the car park, a great night's sleep.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Haigs, Manager at Haigs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Thank you for your kind words, it is much appreciated

We hope you will stay again with us, if you are in the area

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We stayed here for just one night and that was definitely enough! The staff at reception were very friendly and the food in the restaurant was good - both dinner and breakfast - but the rooms really let the whole place down. Ours was very dated, with dusty old curtains and mismatched furniture. That isn't a massive problem, but the bed was like a block of concrete, there were dead insects under my pillow, stains on the bed sheets (and a number of holes) and old crisp packets under the bed. It was one of the least clean hotel rooms I've encountered (and we've spent the night in some battered old youth hostels in the past!). From the mixed reviews here it seems like there must be better rooms (ours was right at the top in the attic), but I couldn't recommend the place based on our experience (apart from the restaurant, which is much, much better than the accommodation).

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JAH1980
Reviewed February 8, 2014

When travelling on business, all I want from a hotel is a clean, quiet room where everything works so I can get some work done in the evening and get ready in the morning with no hold-ups. I paid just under £100 here for two midweek nights, plus breakfast, in a week when everywhere else was fully booked (always a risk near the NEC), which is about what I'd normally shell out for the Yardley Travelodge. Check-in was friendly and efficient but it all went downhill from there. Your key - for a key it is - comes attached to an eight-inch length of brass; who wants to lug that around with them all day? Sure, leave it with reception and hope there's someone available to return it to you when you come back. Never mind, not a huge problem, just somewhat unexpected, that's all.

The stairs are narrow and steeper than I'd like to lug a suitcase up or down but if that bothers you, ask for a ground floor room (I think there are some). Generally, the hotel has the air of somewhere that's been subject to only the bare minimum of necessary maintenance over the years, with the decoration looking worn and faded. Closer inspection reveals runs in the paint, badly-filled holes and things that have been painted over rather than removed and properly prepared. My room had quite a thin door - fortunately my fellows were a quiet bunch else their noise would have penetrated quite easily. The mattress was comfortable enough for sleeping, but a 15-stone bloke like immediately noticed that, by sitting on it, I could hit the baseboard beneath. The radiator valve had been mounted the wrong way so it was impossible to see what setting it was on - this might explain why, when I arrived, the radiator was fully on and the window open.

Enough of the sockets worked for me to get some work done, but not those that were easy to get to. Neither did the shaving light with inbuilt shaver socket. The general feel of a lack of maintenance pervaded, despite the smell of fresh paint, and a check of the top of the wardrobe revealed a weird, decayed alien blob (see photo) that defied all rational explanation. The shower gave up water only begrudgingly (see photo) and the TV was the same size as my laptop but, being mounted almost six feet up the wall, was only watchable from a standing position immediately in front of it (see photo).

I can't speak for the breakfast as I start work at about the same time they start serving (07:00) but if it can compensate for the above then they must serve unicorn steak and wine made from grapes trodden by Dionysius himself.

All in all, it was fairly acceptable value for the money, I suppose, but I can get better accommodation elsewhere. And I will.

Room Tip: Go the Premier Inn just down the road.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank MikeMayUK
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Very pleased with this hotel - an absolute bargain for somewhere to stay and to eat close to the NEC. For 2 perople staying one night, a 3 course dinner (including monkfish) and cooked breakfast we paid a total of £76 so we felt more than happy to put up with the dated interior. Rooms were clean, staff were very friendly and very hardworking, restaurant was full and atmosphere very welcoming. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Room Tip: Stairs are quite steep so if unsteady then ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
#2 of 2 in Hockley Heath
Quality Hotel Coventry
Quality Hotel Coventry
#19 of 39 in Coventry

Been to Haigs Hotel? Share your experiences!