“Great stay!! Groupon Coupon!!”
Review of Haigs Hotel

and 1 more site!
Haigs Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Balsall Common
Christchurch, United Kingdom
“Great stay!! Groupon Coupon!!”
Reviewed July 7, 2011

What a hidden treasure right from booking in we were treated wonderfully' Our room was basic BUT spotlessly clean it contained a bath/shower which I like we had teamaking facilities and 2 bottles of water. Dinner was superb the young lady who is the manager doubles as receptionist /serves drinks in bar/ took our dinner orders whilst we relaxed with a drink and then we went into the dining room. the chef has won awards for his cooking skills and also gives cookery demonstations on certain evenings.
the menu was varied and we had a 3 course of which we gave 10/10 coffee was cheerfully topped out without having to ask. Breakfast again full marks we both had the full english again I have to say probably the best hotel breakfast I have had the toast was brought at same time as breakfast most hotels plonk toast down before serving breakfast and it gets cold so this was just right. Any faults( minor one )its an old property so squeaking floorboards which we only heard at night most guests retired to bed by 12am so no problem. Thanks Groupon you did us proud

Room Tip: We chose back of hotel as front is a bit busy traffic wise
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Manchester
Reviewed June 25, 2011

Stayed here courtesy of a Groupon voucher of all things! And WHAT a bargain it was. The deal was dinner bed and breakfast for under £50.

When I drove up to the hotel, my expectations were not high - their website had left me feeling pretty unimpressed and it really does need to be improved to represent the wonderful place it is.

Check in was friendly, efficient and thorough - a tour of the hotel was included so I knew where everything was.

The room was very well appointed, extremely comfortable and for me, most importantly, spotlessly clean. And this included the overflow and around the taps...areas often let slip by housekeeping! It overlooked the garden and outdoor area which was well kept and appealing.

There were toiletries in the bathroom and complimentary spring water with the tea and coffee making facilities. A local magazine and scrumptious biscuits were additional added value.

The file with information pertaining to the hotel was extremely thorough and I thought the sheet with Sat Nav information if you were to explore the area was a wonderful idea.

Dinner was a three course feast from a monthly set menu - normal price of £19.95 and was exceedingly good value. There was even a complimentary appetizer of cream of broccoli soup! The portions were good, the mains came with two types of potato and a selection of three different vegetables. Faultless.

Sadly I chose a lie in rather than breakfast but I have no qualms in imagining it too was excellent value for money.

I'd especially like to mention the staff who found nothing too much trouble. They were all friendly, approachable and efficient without being intrusive and a really strong part of what made the overall experience restful and pleasurable.

The Groupon voucher was such excellent value I'm sure the hotel made no profit whatsoever...but - it is a very clever marketing ploy. I would most certainly book to stay here again, even if I were to pay a little more than other hotels because my experience was so positive.

It is perhaps worthy of note, that everyone was offered the appetizer and those not using a voucher were also offered a free glass of wine with their dinner.

Bravo The Haigs - I'm your new biggest fan.

Room Tip: Not needed!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Paignton
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Stayed for one night prior to visiting the NEC. The room, although at the front and overlooking the main road was surprisingly and pleasantly quiet, I agree with a previous review, a shelf in the bathroom would have been nice but overall the facilities were adequate for a small hotel and a short stay.
The best features are the restaurant, where our evening meal was superb value for money with a couple of surprise extras and the ease of getting to the NEC - literally 10 minutes.
We have used the Quality Hotel in Coventry as a budget hotel on previous visits to the NEC but will be using Haigs Hotel in the future.
The only downside was that the TV didn't work and if I'm being picky a light bulb needed changing a small thing that a good chambermaid would have noticed

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My partner and I stayed at Haigs Hotel while visiting friedns in the local area. On arrival we were greeted by a friendly member of staff.

Our room was clean, comfortable and had amenties we required. For the price we paid we were very pleased.

We decided to eat in the restaurant Mckees Brasserie and we are glad we did. Both the food and service were excellant. I would highly recommend this restaurant and our overall stay was most enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Stayed at Haigs whilst exhibiting at the NEC. Staff in all areas were ultra helpful and pleasant; the restaurant food was good without bowling me over, better than most, breakfast was excellent.
I asked for a double room, having experienced the small singles here; paid for the privilege. The bed was comfortable and the overall room good, the complimentary wi fi
was much appreciated.
On the down side, the bathroom was not really adequate for 3*. Basin without a shelf so no room for toiletries etc, just a gap were the shelf had been. The ancient electric shower, over the bath was not up to par being impossible to fix the temperature on, varying from freezing to boiling; the only black mark on an otherwise pleasant stay

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Roger G
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2010

We recently held our wedding at this hotel and it was almost perfect. The staff were polite, efficient and cannot do enough for you, the food (both the wedding breakfast and the evening buffet) was excellent and very well priced. The bar is reasonable for a hotel bar and the surroundings comforable and attractive while still being low key. We stayed in the honeymoon suite--room 18--which is a good size, has a wonderful bathroom and was spotless. They left fresh flowers and chocolates in the room for our arrival and were very flexible about allowing our guests to check in early. The full english breakfast was delicous and the fresh fruit and croissants went down very well with my toddler.
My only critisisms were that the main room is a slightly awkward shape for a wedding and so the aisle was a little too narrow and the ceremony music could have been a bit louder.

• Stayed July 2010
Durham
Reviewed November 29, 2009

Stayed here for 1 night while visiting the NEC. A good choice if you don't want to stay in a 'chain' hotel. Service was very good and our room was spotlessly clean. We paid extra for an upgrade and, to be fair, I am not sure what we were paying for as there wasn't anything special about the room, although it had probably been decorated recently. The TV reception was poor and the set dated (not that we had much time to watch TV) and the pillows thin and cheap - apart from that the stay was fine, for what we needed. However, the most important thing about this hotel is not the rooms but McKees restaurant which is excellent. Great menu; 3 courses with coffee for £18.50, although some dishes attracted a small supplement - nice touches too like complementary taster starter and home made petite fours. Service was good and the wine list extensive enough and reasonably priced. If you stay here don't leave without trying the restaurant - but book as it gets full of locals, always a good sign.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Quality Hotel Coventry
Quality Hotel Coventry
#20 of 39 in Coventry
Best Western Plus Birmingham NEC Meriden Manor Hotel

Been to Haigs Hotel? Share your experiences!