“Very good”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
“Very good”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I think that when you enter tamarinds it is a very nice atmosphere and the waiters greet you at the door and take your coat and lead you to your table. There are always seats and the food is delicious. The cafe tamarinds is our local Indian in balsall common and I know many others who think the same, I would come here on posh night out but if your looking for a cheap meal this is not the place to go as although it is food value for money it is quite expensive.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“tamarinds”
Reviewed May 4, 2012

the food is ok but the drinks are extortionate. you pay about £7 for a pint and the bill is a real shocker at the end of the evening, it costs more for a drink that a meal. be warned

Visited April 2012
7 Thank tetley03
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Far out ways all the other Indian restaurants by far.”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We don't think twice about eating here the food quality is second to none and the garlic cheese naan is to die for. The boss is lovely and makes you feel welcome . I have read recent reviews and most comments about the staff aren't great. This is a shame because the staff are really nice and can come across wrong but it's not intentional, I used to have that opinion but it's just their way. For me the food is so nice I dont mind anything else. I recommend all my friends to go here and I've only ever heard highly positive praise most saying its the best they've ever had. We've eaten at the Masala but always been disappointed with the meal and my chicken was undercooked several times and considering we don't go often, it certainly put me off. The Bengal is very good
Also and have not had a bad meal there but tamarinds just has the edge.
Tamarinds is always busy when the other places are empty, so surely that speaks volumes.
Try it!

North Warwickshire, England
“Courteous service, great tasting food, as always.”
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Was surprised to see the recent negative reviews prior to my visit with my wife last night. So, am relieved to report that I found the service and food at Tamarinds to be as good as I've always found it. First tried it around six years ago and visit a few times a year and have generally found the service to be very courteous and efficient, while the food tastes incredible once you find what suits your own taste.

Only once have I experienced a problem and that was an order for a starter misplaced, but once in about a dozen visits isn't a major problem.

Last night the door was opened for us as we entered, we were seated at a decent table and asked if we would like drinks once we were seated. There was a decent interval between poppadoms, starters and mains and the waiters were attentive but not in your face.

Some of the starters are quite small but incredibly tasty (try the Zaffrani Tikka) and most are under £3. I've tried a few different mains but keep going back to the Rajastani Lamb. If you like lamb in a tangy, spicy sauce I CAN'T RECOMMEND THIS HIGHLY ENOUGH - IT'S AWESOME!!. My wife loves the Tandoori Garlic Chilli Chicken, which is quite hot but has lovely flavours.

To sum up, don't be put off by some off the recent negative reviews and give it a try. I've always found the waiters to be very polite and efficient and the service is generally very good.

• Visited February 2012
Meriden
“Birthday surprise that went horribly wrong!”
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I took my husband and children here for his birthday - we rang just before to rebook table for an hour earlier which we were assured was okay and advised we were on our way however on arrival they were quite short and said we were too early! They offered us another table but asked if we would finish our meal within an hour. The waiter was obviously annoyed and made us feel quite uncomfortable. On ordering the food he continued to be short and quite arrogant. At this point, in hindsight, we should have left. We then had a twenty minute wait for food leaving us only half an hour to eat and leave. The food was decidedly average and the quality of chicken for my children poor resulting in them leaving their meals uneaten. On paying for the meals the staff were again abrupt and left us feeling sad and disappointed. We far prefer the Masala Club for both service and food.

• Visited January 2012