1,866 results
All reviews horwood house beautiful grounds pool and sauna wedding venue leisure facilities lovely location a lovely stay buffet style bletchley park groupon deal countryside yvonne
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Had a bargain B & B Sat 21/09 for £54! Have never ever paid that kind of price for B & B in a hotel!
I read reviews before I booked & thought for the price I couldn’t go wrong.

Lovely looking building on the approaching drive. Plenty of parking a short walk away & drop off zone at reception.

RECEPTION
Check in was efficient & we were given a map of the hotel to find our room, which was explained. Still a bit confusing when looking for it but a nice member of staff helped us. Basically follow the writing on the walls saying “bedrooms” -> then there’s plaques with numbers & arrows.

ROOM
Our room was a standard double.
Very small double bed and small room.
Bed linen clean fresh. Room clean.
Corporate looking. Had everything we needed , iron & ironing board too.
Shower over bath was a bit slow & towels hard. Mould on tiles but clean.
Yes in need of updating but perfectly adequate for a one night stay.
I would book a better grade room if staying longer.
Hubby had a job to sleep as there was ticking & banging from air con or vents.
Room very warm.
Bed, despite being small was comfortable.

FOOD & DRINK
Had a nice meal in the bar that evening.
Fish & chips £16.50-same price as restaurant (but I guess they’d add service charge)
Brother in law had pizza which was too spicy or salty for him. It came covered in a pile of rocket lettuce-He picked it off. Basil on a pizza I can understand but not rocket. Leave it off it’s not needed and we weren’t the only ones leaving it.
Fish meals were lovely-even though they varied greatly in size of fish!

Single Hendricks £5.50- a price I consider to be lower than a lot of hotels.
They had a murder mystery weekend so we were warned it would get busy. It did.
Had to ask to turn air con off as we were cold as were other guests who also complained.
This was done immediately.
They were understaffed at the bar & with the large group of murder mystery guests it was a fair wait for drinks.
Staff need to be more aware of who’s waiting as my brother in law had to point out people were getting served before him - yet he’d been waiting longer.

BREAKFAST
Breakfast at 9am was chaotic with only one lady replenishing buffet & they quickly ran out of things. They worked hard to replace but couldn’t cope with demand & there was a constant queue for the buffet. As well as food they run out of bowls too. Not enough staff for pre booked guests?
Despite this, breakfast was nice & I had everything I wanted. For £54 I couldn’t complain but maybe if I’d paid more?

STAFF
Staff we encountered were all pleasant.
One young gentleman deserves a mention- Joe who noticed us hovering outside the restaurant deciding wether to ask for fresh milk for the room. He asked how he could help & immediately offered to bring it for us.
Two rooms, extra biscuits & milk delivered promptly by a smartly dressed & polite young man. Thank you.

CHECK OUT
One lady trying to cope with a long queue. Called for help which quickly alleviated the issues.
Again staffing levels?
That’s the only thing I could see that affected our stay.
Having said that, we enjoyed our stay.
The gardens are pleasant & we sat in the garden which was nice as the weather was lovely.
I’d stay again but pick a superior room with king size bed.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Joanne W, General Manager at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear DMichadoo

Thank you for your review of Horwood House Hotel.

I am delighted that you were able to stay with us finding the rate very pleasing.

I am pleased you received a great welcome and upon arrival to your room you found it to be clean and had all the essentials for your over night stay.

During some weekends when hosting events, our venue can get busy but should not be at the expense of our guests not in attendance of the functions taking place. I appreciate your feedback as it helps us learn and improve.

It is pleasing to read that the team were on hand to assist and when the team asked for help to assist the guests, that they were on hand quickly to alleviate any issues

I hope we can welcome you back in the future

Best Regards

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Impressive main building set in beautiful surroundings. The accommodation is spread out over many levels and I was allocated a room furthest away from the reception with many stairs to negotiate as the lifts weren’t working. The twin room was very basic and very tired looking. Bar area was OK, WiFi worked well and they served food there is also a restaurant available. Breakfast was buffet service and you could get omelettes made. Food was good with plenty of selection. I was only there one night on business and it served my purpose but wouldn’t opt to stay here for pleasure (unless better rooms were available.

Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear chrisallmo,

Thank you for taking the time to review Horwood House Hotel

I am pleased that you we impressed with our main house and the wonderful surroundings we have. We have a wonderful team who work hard to maintain its beauty.

As stated our rooms are a later addition to the main house and I am disappointed that due to a failure in our lifts, the journey to your room wasn't as easy as it should have been.

I am pleased to inform you that our venue has been purchased with plans for a wonderful bedroom refurbishment and hope you will come and check these out in the future

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our teenage children booked my wife and I into this place as a Wedding Anniversary spa surprise.

For which we were most grateful and it was great to see the kids had saved their pocket money to send us on this.

The hotel is not something that we would have booked ourselves but we were very touched and moved by their gesture.

The hotel was pretty much what I expected - nothing exciting but a huge potential. As an Architect's practice we have undertaken many boutique hotel and branded hotel refurbishments. This place certainly has great possibilities to be great!

What we loved about this place was one individual and one individual only - Kim Ferguson. She was indeed the queen of customer service. We met Kim for our afternoon tea and this was actually the best afternoon tea we have ever had! and this includes some of the most premium places we had been to.

It was so lovely to have met Kim and to have had the opportunity to spend time with her. Both my wife Sofia and I enjoyed spending time with Kim.

Her hospitality skills were incredible and she was so well versed with conversation of any kind!

We would go back to this place each and every time just to see Kim!

Dear NaveedA617,

Thank you for taking the time to review Horwood House Hotel

I am so happy to read that your children saved up and chose us as a place for you to spend your anniversary!

Kim, is a wonderful member of our team and will be delighted with your comments which will be shared amongst the team!

We have been very fortune to have been purchased recently by a wonderful owner who has some great refurbishment places. We are so very excited for the next 12 months and hope that you will return to see our changes.

Best Regards

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Never ever stay at this hotel when weddings are held here, you will have a very interrupted nights sleep with people up and down the corridors loudly laughing and shouting, fire doors being opened then banged shut so these unruly people can get outside to the private courtyard area to smoke, talk loudly using foul language and threaten to urinate through the open windows of the low laying rooms surrounding this courtyard, there are no staff to deal with these horrendous guests, they have total run of the place, after complaining to the hotel manager I got the usual “very poor and grovelling response” with no offer of a refund or anything to pacify my anger, the place sells itself on its stunning location, this STUNNING LOCATION is why it’s always hosting weddings so please be aware if you are simply visiting the area stay away from this dreadful place where the staff do not care unless you are part of a wedding, De Vere group should withdraw their good name as this place is privately owned but pay to use the De Vere brand name. Good luck if you ignore this warning!

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear claire771,

Thank you for your review of Horwood House Hotel

We are a venue that love to host a wedding, our most favourite event. But these should never be at the expense of our other guests. I will review the process of allocating bedrooms as all wedding guests should be allocated away from our leisure guests to make your stay more comfortable.

The venue has been purchased by a wonderful owner who is extremely keen on restring our venue to its best and we look forward to sharing our refurbishment news within the coming months

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were very excited to visit the hotel celebrating a 40th birthday. Our initial response after parking at the venue was wow. The check in was very slow and disorganised that was very frustrating after paying a premium for the room.Dissapointment no 1. Dissapointment no 2 was the bar, an absolute rip off with extortionate prices for a captive audience. Dissapointment no 3 is that there was a door man constantly at the bar area that was very intimidating for a private party.Dissapointment no 4 was quite serious and very very rude and again intimidating from the staff. My wife was celebrating a personal occasion with her mother and brought along a bottle of prosecco from our room. The lady ( a polite way of describing her) asked to look at the bottle and more or less grabbed it from my wife and demanded that it was removed from the table upsetting my wife and her mother. The same person came back to check if it had been removed being very rude. This totally un proffesional behaviour totally ruined our experience. We actually checked out early next morning without the breakfast we had paid for. Never Again.This place needs to educate it's staff on customer satisfaction and being proffesional. Absolutely gob smacked with the experience.

Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear Mick M,

Thank you for your review of Horwood House Hotel

I am disappointed to read that we failed you on several aspects of your stay.

There are times were our check in can be busy and delays caused but you should always be met with an apology and warm welcome.

I understand our bar is not 'pub' pricing, the prices are set by our central office, and set against our local competitor hotels. As with all licenced bars, drinks brought in from outside and not purchased on site cannot be consumed, but I am disappointed in the way this situation was handled and will review the terminally with the team and process for removing such items going forward.

I am sorry you decided to check out early