“4 stars you're having a laugh!”

De Vere Horwood Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Horwood
Reviewed December 8, 2009

This hotel looks nice on websites and also while driving in, set in some nice grounds in a manor home I had high hopes. Unfortnately they were dashed the moment I saw my bedroom - a tiny space, small bed (almost a single) and no hot running water in the bathroom.

The facilities were all dated and badly maintained, men's changing rooms were disgusting.

Rating this hotel as 4 star is like describing Vanessa Feltz as a supermodel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank acfalla
There are newer reviews for De Vere Horwood Estate

Reviewed December 6, 2009

Thoroughly agree with xiaolata. The website and the hotel's 4 star rating is hugely misleading. Lucky it is set in nice grounds, as this is its only remotely redeeming feature. I can only compare it to an oil painting... driving down the stunning long driveway to the house is impressive. Reception and checking in isnt too painful either, the issue is with the rest of the hotel. It genuinely took several minutes to find our room in the endless maze of poorly sign posted corridors.

The leisure facility was terrible. The ladies changing rooms looked like they hadn't been cleaned for a couple of days. There were no towels available, and the showers were cold. The swimming pool was dirty and unmaintained. The gym had only 6 machines and was in a 10ft x 10ft room!

We stayed in a standard double bedroom, which was the size of a shoe box. They had only provided one set of towels, so we had to request another set from housekeeping. Thankfully they were on their way to see us anyway as the shower water temperature was no hotter than luke warm. This seemed to be a boiler issue as the water was hot again in the morning.

Thank goodness we were on a 50% off deal, as I would have felt totally ripped off paying £59 a night.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank clw376
Reviewed October 21, 2009

I agree with some of the other reviewers on this site, this place is nothing more than a conference centre with some university like accommodation tacked on. It needs to be made clear that the picture is very misleading. Sure there is a long drive leading up to what appears to be an attractive manor house, but you can forget all that as soon as you enter the building.

We had to crawl through endless winding corridors to finally get to our tiny room. If we had not got a deal on the price I would classify the standard rates as extremely expensive. While in a nice country side setting the location is far from convenient. Worst of all we had to cut our stay short, and the hotel refused to refund the remaining days even partially.

This hotel seems to do it all, which I guess is where the 4 star rating comes from. Unfortunately it does it all with a 1 star rating, nothing about the place exudes quality and the staff were non existent most of the time. I would never recommend this place to anyone, and while it may suite some peoples needs just fine; I would recommend anyone should carefully consider an alternative to avoid disappointment.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank xiaolata
Reviewed August 29, 2009

Nice looking country house style hotel with a large conference centre and bedrooms attached - pretty grounds with putting green, tennis courts plu pool. We had a "family" room which I think was just a normal room with an extra bed. There were a number of weddings taking place at the time we stayed and they take over the hotel with some rooms being out-of-bounds (which they should tell you when you book).

The soundproofing is shocking - we heard clonking from the boiler all night plus all the doors bang and crash - and as there was a wedding party staying the kids seems to be going in and out of the rooms all night! - the hotel should just fit soft door closers!

Breakfast was ok (basic quality) and the reception staff very helpful.

Value for money - yes, considering what you pay.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 25, 2009

I stayed for one night for a wedding at a very good rate, on 24 May. I've stayed in other conference properties in this group, before they were taken over, and I've always been impressed by their high standards. I had heard that these had slipped after the takeover. Check in was swift and efficient, but there was no map to show me the way to the room.
The room was larger than I was expecting, but apparently I was in an executive room. There was a smallish double bed, which was very comfortable. Plenty of wardrobe and storage space and ample room in the bathroom to store my things.
The room was hot and both the windows appeared to be locked, but when I went to reception to ask for a key, I was told a porter would be sent. This duly happened.
The deal was bed and breakfast, and as always the breakfast was excellent, tho' the hash browns and fried eggs had run out.
The bar prices were extortionate, a large glass of house red, double Baileys and three diet cokes came to almost £18!
The rooms and public areas seemed to be well kept, but the view from the bedroom window, showed weed covered paths and gravelled areas, something which would not have been tolerated under the old management. So standards have slipped a little, but it was still an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: May 2009
1  Thank mktraveller
Reviewed May 5, 2009

The service we received wasn't really bad, it was just the fact that due to weddings we had to eat in a Bar and was given a menu for Bar food even though we had paid an extra £80 to receive a meal which was supposed to have been restaurant style.

I liked the size of the room but it wasn't fancy, it's location was really far from the reception so be careful not to get lost. We didn't really get to use any Amenities as we wasn't advised of any times for their use & there wasn't any info in the room to advise.

I liked the Hotel itself and it's location and we enjoyed the breakfast. We didn't like the fact that we were not informed that there was a wedding going on & that was the reason why we had to eat in a Bar on Sunday. The town centre was also quite far.

I had asked for our sheets to be changed as we didn't like the smell as they didn't smell fresh, but the staff that we had asked just looked at each other and told us a polite no.

Most of the staff was friendly and we did enjoy the looks of the hotel. The surrounding well looked after grounds was welcoming and we saw cows through our bedroom window. It was a good view.

We would recommend people to stay at the hotel at their own advices but try and avoid weekends as there are weddings taking place and no access to the restaurant. There is no fridge in the room so make sure you bring your own water. Also ask for ground floor rooms or floors that the lift actually stops on & keep away from quiet rooms as they are far from the reception.

Overall a good weekend minus the food fiasco.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2009

Had the unfortunate experience of staying at this sprawling conference centre for a wedding reception. Draught beer was poor at £3.30 per pint and when the gas failed to work they charged over £3.35 for a bottle of Bud.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Horwood
Woughton House - MGallery by Sofitel (was Mercure Parkside House)
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes
#1 of 1 in Chicheley
Five Arrows Hotel
Five Arrows Hotel
#1 of 2 in Waddesdon

Been to De Vere Horwood Estate? Share your experiences!