“TERRIBLE ROOM!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Horwood
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“TERRIBLE ROOM!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed here a while back in an "executive" room and it was tiny!! No way would we class that as an executive room! So we had to walk right back to reception with our suitcases and the staff said that all the executive rooms were that small, they did give us a different room in the end but they furniture was very worn and dated. We would not recommend staying here. It has not improved since we stayed here many years back, when again we were very disappointed with our stay. The worst thing about our stay the first time is that we witnessed one of the duty managers literaly shouting and swearing at a staff member In front of other guests!!! We later found out from another staff member that the manager in question was
called Mark Bedell. Anyway we would never stay here again and would defiantly not recommend it to anyone!!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Carl4446
GMHorwoodHouse, General Manager at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Carl4446

Thank you for your review of Horwood House.
I am disappointed that your stay in June last year did not meet your expectations. My management team and I came to Horwood House towards the end of last year and I can assure you that if you made a return visit to the hotel now your experience would be a much more positive one. Reviews and checks have been put in place across all departments to ensure that every guest who stays here experiences a high level of service and it is very rare to receive any negative comments with regards to our service ethos.
Once again thanks for your review.
Chris Steadman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

I almost ended up sleeping in the corridor after arriving from a 36 hour flight from NZ to find myself totally lost. And of course the key wouldn't open the door when I finally did find it. avoid unless you enjoy staggering around a maze of corridors and stairs with all your luggage

• Stayed February 2014
Gary O

Thank you for your brief review of Horwood House following your stay with us.
I was very disappointed to hear that your stay failed to meet your expectations. I am pleased that a member of our team were able to help you access your room after your long journey.
Once again thank you for taking the time to review.

Travelers are raving about these Little Horwood hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for business in February, The hotel is in very impressive grounds and is a lovely building to pull up to.
The first challenge is finding your room with the map provided, it's a rabbits warren of corridoors in the extensions added to the original building!
On entering the room the first thing you realise is how tiny it is!
There was no heating or heated towel rail in the bathroom which made it rather cold.
The 'shower' was one of the worst I have ever experienced, it's more like someone pouring a watering can onto you!
There was mould around the top of the wall/ceiling above the bath.
The bed was far too soft for my liking and the pillows felt like very cheap foam and we're lumpy and deformed.
The worst thing though was the constant hissing type noise which sounded like a boiler heating water that was present all night and woke me up at various times!
The food was ok, I had the £15 Wild boar and chorizo burger!
It tasted ok but was no better than the £5 beer and a burger you get from Witherspoons which was disappointing, it was £4.30 for a pint of Boddingtons.
The breakfast selection was pretty good and tasted ok.
The 'free wifi' is a nightmare, I must have logged in with my name, address, email, tel number etc 20 or more times to try and use it but my phone kept disconnecting me as the signal was so weak!
I wonder if I had used the paid 'scratchcard' version I would have had no problem getting connected?
Come on a decent free wifi is par for the course everywhere you go now.

To sum it up for me I would say that
the hotel looks very grand and impressive when you come down the drive, but the whole experience goes downhill from there on.
I left feeling glad my company have booked a different hotel for my next visit to Milton Keynes.
I would have been grateful of a Premier Inn to spend the night in instead.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Vince_and_Michelle
South_Coast_Lovers

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Horwood House.
I am delighted that your first impressions of the hotel exceeded your expectations. However, I am very disappointed to hear that there were certain elements of your stay which failed to meet your expectations. I can assure you that we take all guest feedback very seriously and will share your comments with the team so that we can monitor and maintain the high standards of service that all of our guests expect from Horwood House.
Once again thank you for taking the time to review.
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Well, I have never experienced such professionalism from a hotel and all of it's staff. From the minute we arrived to the final meeting, we were spoilt beyond expectations. Chris, Anna and the whole team were attentive to our every need, were adaptable and always happy to help out.

With a large group of 90 + at times every comment made was positive. The Red Bull, chocolate bar and mints were well received and much needed after the Gala dinner - thanks for making this special for everyone.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
GMHorwoodHouse, General Manager at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dazzab1

Thank you for your 5 star review of Horwood House.
It is very pleasing to read that the whole experience of your event at Horwood House was such a positive one and all the comments you received from your attendees were also positive.
I am delighted that the whole team looked after you and made the whole event special for everyone and you were all spoilt beyond expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Horwood House in the near future.

General
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

I stayed here in Feb 2014 as I had a meeting in Milton Keynes the following day. When I saw the price paid to stay I thought I might be in for a treat although have to admit to being disappointed. The service was patchy: great on reception but a little slow and perfunctory in the bar and restaurant. The room was fine however the bed was really soft which did not make for a comfortable night's sleep. The final indignity was being charged £15 for breakfast which constituted one slice of (cheap) brown bread and a small bowl of tinned grapefruit. I'll probably look for somewhere else next time I stay in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Bathwickdave

Thank you for your review of Horwood House, I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations.
It is unacceptable for any of our guests to receive a less than satisfactory service in any area of the hotel and I am disappointed that you felt the service you received was patchy. All feedback is welcomed at Horwood House and I will discuss your comments with my team to ensure that standards of service are kept to the highest level.
Breakfast at Horwood House is a buffet style service from which you can choose from full english and/or continental options. The Tempus restaurant, which holds every food service, is an area in which Horwood House rarely receives poor reviews. I am disappointed that you were unable to experience more of the food options available to you.
We hope to welcome you back to Horwood House in the near future so that we can restore your faith in the hotel and the service that we can provide.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I have been to spend Valentines Day and the overall experience was terrible. We booked a superior double room and when we arrived they gave us a single room adapted for two. Bed was very small and the size of the bedroom was very small. When I went to the exception to complain they told me that all the superior rooms were the same size so I showed them the picture of the superior room on their website and the picture of the bedroom they gave me. After complaining and complaining the receptionist called the manager and they gave us what we booked for. The deal I got was the night with breakfast and dinner (70£ voucher with menu a la carte) but when we have been to the restaurant there was just the fixed menu at 50£ per couple and at the checkout I had to pay as well the drinks ( some of them didn't arrive after being ordered) although I overpaid the dinner and I didn't have the possibility to get the menu a la carte. When I asked an hot chocolate for breakfast this morning they told me that it wasn't possible and that I could get it somewhere else in the hotel but not there although I was in the breakfast room. I'm very disappointed for the experience had and the poor customer service and I highly do not recommend this hotel.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank rencap137
Rencap137

Please accept my sincere apologies that your recent stay at Horwood House did not meet your expectations.
Thank you for contacting our head office and I will contact you personnally to respond to this post.

Kind Regards
Suffolk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Stayed recently on business. Food expensive and average at best. Bar prices extremely high. £5 for a pint of Peroni, London prices. Shower was woeful. Dribbled at best, and water takes ages to heat up. Two stars from me as it was clean and tidy. Would never stay for leisure, and would suggest that anyone thinking of doing so seriously considers another hotel.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Pauloenglish

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Horwood House, I am pleased that you found our hotel to be clean and tidy.
I am concerned that you felt our food was of an average standard as this is an area in which Horwood House is highly commended, poor reviews of the food in our Tempus restaurant are very rare. I have taken note of your comments with regards to our bar prices and can assure you our prices are in line with other 4* hotels in the area and this is something that we regularly check to ensure we deliver value for money.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Horwood
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes
Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill
Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill
#2 of 34 in Milton Keynes
Mercure Milton Keynes Parkside Hotel (soon Woughton House - MGallery by Sofitel)
The Bell Hotel
The Bell Hotel
#1 of 1 in Winslow
Five Arrows Hotel
Five Arrows Hotel
#1 of 2 in Waddesdon

Been to De Vere Horwood Estate? Share your experiences!