“Nice but needs modernisation”

De Vere Horwood Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Horwood
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

The main house is beautiful, lovely grounds, free tea and coffee in tempus lounge but £15 for 24hr wifi (for work). I think wifi should be free or at least cheaper in an expensive hotel. My broadband at home us £7.50 for a whole month!!

Room very dated as in an old fashioned block, and numbering meant it took us ages to find. Needs modernising and smartening up, but functional.

Nice pool (jacuzzi obviously used to the there a long time ago but now covered over - a shame). Empty, so plenty of chance to swim and relax in sauna. Signs mentioned steam room, but I couldn't see one.

Nice breakfast, good sausages!

Stayed on a weekend and wedding guests were still smoking outside our room (416) at 12.50am and talking / singing LOUDLY. This went on all evening so at bed time I phoned reception and they went very quickly.

A nice stay, close to mk.

1  Thank AmandaAndDave
GuestRelations2013, Guest Relations Executive at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that Horwood House and grounds exceeded your expectations and you found the Manor house beautiful.
I am pleased that you enjoyed our leisure facilities and were able to enjoy a peaceful swim and relaxed in the sauna.
Thank you once again for taking the time to submit your comments, we look forward to welcoming you back to Horwood House in the future.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I booked in to stay the night on the 24th may as my cousin was getting married there. The whole day was amazing and the staff were incredibly welcoming and could not do more to assist or please us. They were all amazing and made everything special.
The hotel itself and the grounds are stunning. Everything you could need and more. However as special as the setting is it is the amazing staff and the effort they put in to everything that will remain with me and make me return if in in the area again.

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that the whole day of your cousin's wedding was amazing and that all staff were incredibly welcoming and could not do more to assist you and made everything special.
The team at Horwood House are dedicated to ensure every guest receives a high level of customer service and enjoy a comfortable and relaxing stay with us. I am glad that this was achieved and made such a special day even more memorable for you.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Attended a conference here. Never saw the Manor House; rather accommodated in a modern block (ex-BT training centre). Architecturally chalk and cheese! Staff friendly, polite and helpful. Room fine, if very 'corporate', except for ancient CRT TV - in 2013? Food nicely presented and efficiently served. Bedroom numbering confusing, and signage deficient in places. Apparently code for swimming pool in leisure centre changed, inconveniencing early swimmers.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay at Horwood House.
Horwood House has been extended to accommodate the 185 guest bedrooms plus conference rooms that we have available. The Manor house itself is utilized as the centre piece of the hotel and holds 3 guest suites, Manor lounge and a few conference rooms.
I am disappointed that you felt your room was not suited to your needs, our duty manager or Front of House manager would have been more than happy to look at reallocation of your room if you were not happy.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This Hotel deserves more than 2 stars and could easily be 4 or 5 stars on my review but for the shockingly undertrained staff, lack of staff and shockingly bad management

On a one night stay, we had a no drink bought to the room as promised, waited 20mins for a drink then had no ice, waited 20mins again to be seated at dinner when tables were empty.. all day and evening tables were left clogged with glasses and plates and ashtrays left full in the garden

I don't blame the very young staff they had been so poorly trained it was just as embarrassing for them and I didn't see one single manager the whole time I was there!

the Wedding guests for both weddings looked far from impressed either which of course is far more disappointing than a brief getaway

Easily solved with some clear training and supervision and this could be a lovely destination

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestRelations2013, Guest Relations Executive at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. Our aim at Horwood House is to ensure that every guests receives the highest level of service and enjoys a comfortable getaway in relaxing surroundings, I am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.
We welcome all feedback at Horwood House, as it is through constructive criticism that we can monitor and maintain the high standards that guests expect from the hotel. I have shared your feedback with our Head’s of departments in order for them to review with their teams and ensure that all staff are given the support they need to deliver the highest level of service to all of our guests.
Thank you once again for taking the time to submit your review and we hope to welcome you back to Horwood House.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed over the bank holiday weekend for a wedding, even though the view is amazing and the appearance of the manor house is also amazing the one thing that lets it all down was the lack of staff and their attitude towards paying guests. When a table decoration falls onto a guest and is reported to a senior member of staff the response was "speak to the bride" We were not prepared to speak to the bride on her wedding day as it is up to the hotel to make sure that everything in place is up to standard! Would I stay there again, No!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Clare P

Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased that you found the appearance of the Manor house and surrounding views amazing.
I am disappointed that that there were elements to your visit that marred your stay with us. I will pass on your comments to our Operations manager so that a review of staff training can be initiated to ensure all future guests receive the highest level of customer service.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Booked this hotel via Groupon and got an excellent deal. It consisted of 2 nights B&B and first night 2 course evening meal with a glass of wine each and chocolates in the room. The hotel is a stately home with the addition of a well designed 150 bedroom extension that does not look out of place with the manor. The bedroom was small but adequate and comfy bed. Pillows not the best more like beanbags. The bathroom was lovely and modern. The food was delicious but expensive eg starters started at £6.95 and mains £15. And the drinks were also expensive as a pint was £4.95. There was wedding on both of the days we stayed but there was no noise as the parties were separate from where we stayed. My husband spoke to someone at the bar who had bought 2 bottles of house wine and a pint of beer and it had cost him £80, so be aware if you are on a budget. The staff were lovely and friendly and the hotel itself is lovely and clean. Well worth the Groupon price but expensive hotel if not on a deal.

Room Tip: Staff seemed to put wedding parties in same location so other guests are not bothered with noise and...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that your experience at Horwood House exceeded all expectations and that you had a pleasant dining experience in our Tempus restaurant.
I am pleased that you found our staff lovely and friendly and that the hotel had a high level of cleanliness.
We hope to welcome you back to Horwood House in the future.

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

After reading this year's other reviews, I was a little concerned. But accommodation in the area is sparse and I continued with the booking. I was pleasantly surprised and pleased with the bedroom itself, though it bore no resemblance to the pictures. The bedroom was in the new block, which is a vast multi-levelled modern lego-like appendage to the side of the original house. So the booking confirmation which stated garden views actually meant a quadrangle of lawn surrounded by shrubs with other bedrooms looking straight back at us. I had thought of the formal gardens I had seen on photographs.

The staff we encountered were all very young and keen to help, their lack of experience brought naïf charm to the lack of professionalism. Confusion arose when we asked for more bread, it could have just been brought to us.

At one point we shared the public bar with a wedding party and our order was delayed and put after the large party, although we had ordered first. It would have been professional to supply napkins and cutlery rather than have guests ask for them.

In conclusion the restaurant and food is competent but for the cost I'd rather have gone out for a pub meal.

The accommodation feels odd, the huge new part of he building seems far more suited to an urban environment. It takes no advantage of being in the countryside and including the parkland in the guests experience. Although the parkland offers activities, guests have physically get out there: Nothing wrong with this, but a few large windows and views would have enhanced the experience greatly.

All in all a hotel which does the job. Had the pictures and description been an accurate description of the hotel I would have been more comfortable with what I had purchased.

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that your expectations with regards to your room allocation were exceeded.
Horwood House has been extended to accommodate 185 guest bedrooms, the Manor house itself is utilized as our centre piece and includes our 3 guest suites, Manor lounge and a few conference rooms. The newer part of the hotel is surrounded by picturesque countryside and is in keeping with the PH group standard throughout.
I am disappointed that there were issues with your dining experience and I have passed on your comments to the Restaurant manager to review staff training procedures and ensure that a high level of customer service is experienced by every guest.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Horwood
Novotel Milton Keynes
Novotel Milton Keynes
#7 of 35 in Milton Keynes
Best Western Garden Court Aylesbury

Been to De Vere Horwood Estate? Share your experiences!