“Excellent Break”

De Vere Horwood Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Horwood
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have just had a 2 night break, with friends, via a Travelzoo offer. The approach to the hotel is very impressive down a long drive. The hotel facade is an old manor house but the accommodation and faclities are in modern buildings attached to it. Our bedrooms were Executve Doubles. The rooms are a reasonable size and quite comfortable. The biggest asset of the hotel are the staff. From the receptionists to the staff in the restaurant and bar , nothing was too much trouble. On the 2 nights we were there the hotel was not very busy and at breakfast, instead of the hot buffet breakfast, we were offered freshly cooked breakfasts of our own choices.
They also allowed me to park my classic car outside reception.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MGBV8
GuestRelations2013, Guest Relations Executive at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that your first impression of Horwood House was impressive. The old manor house is the centre piece of the hotel and an extension has been added to accommodate the 185 bedrooms that we have available. The manor house itself holds our guest suites and some conference rooms. Although the extension is a modern building it is surrounded by acres of beautiful countryside and adds to the overall experience of our guests. I am pleased that you found your room to be of a good size and comfortable.
We welcome all feedback at Horwood House, as it is through constructive criticism that we can monitor and maintain our high standards and I shall pass on your comments to our head’s of departments so that they can share with their teams and allow them to appreciate how their hard work and dedication help to ensure our guests experience an enjoyable and comfortable stay at the hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Horwood House in the future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel was clean an the staff where very good, the swimming pool was freezing and the sauna not much hotter. The rooms where very small and the beds not great, very little sleep. We had dinner in the restaurant , my husbands food was great, but I went for the seafood paella which had a lack of any kind of fish.
Cheap night away buys that's about it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted you found our facilities and staff to be of a high standard and that your experience in our Tempus restaurant was a good one. We have a variety of different size rooms available within the hotel and our Front of House staff or Duty manager would have been more than happy to look at re allocating your room if you required a larger room.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to submit your review and we would hope to welcome you back to Horwood House in the future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I visited this hotel with my husband for a corporate occasion. The rooms were unspectacular although fairly modern. To find the room was a feat in itself though, and unfortunately which given original wrong directions and it took 20 mins just to find the room which hotel service staff chuckling in groups every time we went passed them!! The bar and function room were very pleasant and the outside bar area was really nice sat in the sun! The breakfast was reasonable although one cd fried egg left which was not filled up for 45 mins while we were in the dining room, mushrooms tasted like yesterday's, a staff member did say they were not used to the amount of people in the dining room.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for your feedback, and I am pleased to hear that the weather was kind on your visit and you were able to enjoy the outside bar area sitting in the sun.
However, I am disappointed that there were certain elements of your stay that marred your experience. I apologise that the directions that you were given to get to your room were not clear and I have requested that our Front of House manager review reception procedures to ensure that all guests are given clear instructions of how to find the bedrooms and facilities around the hotel.
All feedback is welcomed at Horwood House, as it is through constructive criticism that we can monitor and maintain the high standards that our guests expect. I shall pass on the points you have made to our Head’s of Departments so that they can review our service culture and ensure that these issues do not happen in the future.
Thank you once again for taking the time to submit your review and we would hope to welcome you back to Horwood House in the future to ensure that you experience an enjoyable and comfortable visit.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Impressive facade and well appointed arrivals area, but only one person on desk and had to wait quite a while for service. Room well appointed, clean and comfortable, but located in the next county through a maze of corridors. Numbering of rooms is seemingly almost random so if you get lost cannot use room numbers to find your way. WiFi is charged at £5 for the first hour; this is unacceptable! It should be free as it is in just about every pub, restaurant and B&B in the country. Dinner in the restaurant was OK nothing exceptional. Breakfast was a little chaotic - no buffet as advertised - and very flustered help.
Not sure I will stay again. The highlight of the visit was the staff - friendly , efficient, helpful and accommodating. Pity the facilities are not of the same standard

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank AubreyP695

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that your first impressions of Horwood House were impressive and exceeded your expectations. I am pleased that you found your room to be well appointed, clean and comfortable. The centre piece of Horwood House is our stunning manor house. An extension was added on to the main manor house so that we could accommodate 185 guest bedrooms. Even though the hotel extension is a newer section it is surrounded by acres of stunning countryside.
All guests can receive free WiFi for 30 mins and then have the choice to extend this facility where a charge will be incurred.
I am pleased that you found our staff to be friendly, efficient, helpful and accommodating to your needs to ensure that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We would hope to welcome you back to Horwood House in the future so that we can restore your faith in the hotel and look after you in our impressive and comfortable surroundings and ensure that your experience is an enjoyable one.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Jacuzzi not working, pool dated but clean, sauna was clean, very small leisure area for the size of the hotel. The rooms were situated away from the main event rooms which was great. Double bed was too small. Table lamp wasn't working and had to change rooms as flush wasn't working in first room. Staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is situated in beautiful grounds make you sure you have a walk around.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestRelations2013, Guest Relations Executive at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that your first impressions of the hotel and our beautiful grounds were positive and that our staff were friendly and helpful.
We have a refurbishment plan in place which includes the facilities in our leisure club and I apologise that certain areas may have marred your experience with us. Our duty managers are available day or night to help with any issues that may arise for our guests and would have been more than happy to help with the points you have raised with regards to your room.
I hope that we can welcome you back to Horwood House in the future, so that we can help you to experience a comfortable and enjoyable break.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Yet another hotel in the chain that offers Murder Mystery Weekends and I must say it has improved greatly since our last visit. The outstanding feature of this visit were the staff. Everyone at the hotel worked hard to ensure the weekend was a success, from the reception staff on our arrival, through to the managers and the catering staff, all should be applauded for establishing a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The food was also outstanding and though we were there as part of a group there was varied choice for all meals, breakfast, lunch and evening meal. Even on the Saturday when there was also two wedding parties in the hotel the service was still exemplary. Didn't get time to use the swimming pool this time as we were too involved in trying to solve the horrendous murders that had taken place in the hotel but other guests who had used the pool and gym definitely thought they were a positive addition to the hotel. Why not give it a five point rating? Well we felt the rooms were a little on the small side and the heating didn't work, in fact the heating didn't seem to work in any of the bedrooms. I know that you spend little time in your rooms, especially on a Murder Weekend, and that the size of the rooms are really beyond the control of the management, the quality of the rooms is important. As for the Murder Mystery it was as challenging as ever. For those who have been before the mixture of games and fancy dress are all part of the weekend, something to add to the enjoyment. However, some first-timer found the additional entertainment, though enjoyable, could be distracting when you have to keep your wits about you with so much information to take on board. If you are going to be successful in solving the murders you have to try and keep abreast of all the new information that keeps appearing, that way you can at least not feel totally baffled. Of course you can always let it all fly past you, relax and enjoy yourself in a lovely setting and think the police should be doing their job and catch these criminals.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stewart M

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback with regards to your recent visit to Horwood House. The Murder Mystery weekends are very popular and I am deighted that your return to Horwood House exceeded all expectations. I am pleased that you felt that the whole team was outstanding and that they ensured that your whole weekend was spent in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. We receive many positive comments with regards to our Tempus restaurant and I am delighted that you have commented that the food choice was outstanding and that you throughly enjoyed your time here.
I must apologise that we had a boiler issue over the weekend that you stayed with us and I can ensure you that our maintenance team worked round the clock to rectify the issues so that nothing like that happens in the future.
Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Horwood House in the future.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

My son had his wedding reception at Horwood House and I have to say that it was absolutely fantastic. The staff at Horwood are so friendly, nothing was too much trouble and our wedding co-ordinator Matt was first class. Everything was handled so professionally that the whole weekend was just faultless.
The rooms are on the small side in a modern annexe type building but we only slept there. The breakfasts are fantastic with plenty to choose from. Sunday morning was very busy after after catering for three events on the Saturday and I don't think I have ever seen so many people down for breakfast at the same time but the staff were still smiling and very helpful.
The grounds of the hotel are beautiful.
My only criticism was that the bar prices are very high and we were all agreed on that.
Otherwise I can't fault the place. I would love to go back again one day.
Fantastic.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AnnaD66

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that your son's wedding reception exceeded all expectations and that we were able to ensure that such a special day was a fantastic experience for you. I am pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and that Matt and his team ensured that your weekend was faultless.
We hope to welcome you back to Horwood House in the future, so that we can once again look after you and ensure that you have an enjoyable and comfortable break with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Horwood
Woughton House - MGallery by Sofitel
Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill
Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill
#3 of 35 in Milton Keynes

Been to De Vere Horwood Estate? Share your experiences!