“A very enjoyable weekend break”

De Vere Horwood Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Horwood
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed our weekend break at this very impressive hotel. It was my first visit but the standards of customer care and accommodation were first rate and I would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to my friends and family.

1  Thank AndyP346
GuestRelations2013, Guest Relations Executive at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted to hear how Horwood House exceeded your expectations on your recent visit.
All staff here at Horwood House work extremely hard to ensure that all our guests receive the highest standard of service and will be pleased to hear how their dedication and hard work has been appreciated.
Thank you once again for your valued feedback and we hope that we can welcome you back to Horwood House in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,459)

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We also stayed here for the pre-mentioned Murder Mystery weekend, and after booking 2 nights, decided to leave after 1

This has got to rank as the worst place we have ever had the misfortune to stay.

I honestly wish I hadn't wasted the money, we were so disappointed.
We have complained to both the weekend organiser, and the hotel, but have yet to receive a response.

Upon arriving at Horwood House, all expectations we're met. "a beautiful country house combined with contemporary facilities including indoor pool, gym, jacuzzi, sauna, tennis court and 9 hole pitch and putt"
What we must have missed in the small print, was "but you will actually be staying in the Travel Lodge type extension out the back!"
This to be fair is a compliment, as the accommodation was not deserving to be in comparison to the renowned hotel chain.
Talk about misleading?
With a maze of corridors to find your room, poor signage, we literally got lost each time we ventured out of the room.
The room itself was big enough for a single person at the most, and absolutely freezing, as of course the heating had been left off (its snowing outside??)
Smaller than standard size double bed only added to a poor nights sleep.
Evening meal was mediocre at best, I ended up with sausage & mash, which I believe was on the menu @ £15.
The £5 for a pint of larger was in the same price region as the sausages.

Breakfast - poor service
We joined our colleagues from the previous night after filling our plates
We were informed a hot beverage would be with us shortly.
Food finished, no sign of any liquid. I asked the waitress where our drinks were, also could we have some toast please?
Tea & coffee arrived, ten minutes later some toast turned up.
Do we really have to ask for milk to add to our drinks? no butter for the toast?? for gods sake
By this point, both mine and my partners patience was wearing pretty thin.
We had arranged to go and look for some fancy dress costumes for the evening party on Saturday morning, but by the time we arrived at the shop, all had become apparent that neither of us were enjoying ourselves, and the premium price paid was certainly not reflected in what we received.
We returned to the "beautiful country house", signed out and left

In all honesty, we wouldn't stay there again if we were paid.
I've never come away from somewhere feeling tricked, or mislead before, but this place takes the biscuit.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestRelations2013, Guest Relations Executive at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, I am however disappointed that your stay here did not meet your expectations. I am disappointed that the Murder Mystery weekend was not suitable for your tastes, however we have received positive feedback from all of the other 41 Murder Mystery guests.
We have duty managers available day and night to help our guests should any issues arise with regards to their stay and the Murder Mystery organisers were on hand as an extra point of contact. Should you had reported your feedback to one of them we would have been more than happy to resolve the points that you have listed, and you may then have enjoyed the weekend much more and stayed with us for both nights.
Thank you once again for your feedback, we welcome all feedback here at Horwood House as it is through positive feedback that we can move forward and ensure that our guests receive the highest possible standards.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We attended as part of a Murder Mystery weekend organised by a third party, staying 2 nights over a weekend. The first impression is great, including the magnificent avenue of trees. The original house was built in the 1920s and is very small - perhaps twenty rooms in all. As far as we could see there are no bedrooms in this part of the old hotel. It was extended in the 1960s when a training centre for BT when some decent character bedrooms were built around the courtyard, and again more recently by the addition of yet more 'conference' market rooms. These seem to form the vast majority of what is now on offer - over 180 of them in total. All these are very much modern conference centre rooms - fine for one person on a course but a bit small in size for two, with a built-in working desk and single chair. No lounging in there then.
Provided one recognises this and it is not assumed that the handsome pictures of the old house on the website are what's typical inside, then fine.
The main function rooms are all in the modern part of the hotel. Great for a wedding reception or other organised event but perhaps limiting for a couple after a weekend break in a old 'character' house - that is not what this is. There is one single guests' bar area which is very spacious but modern, and one large guest restaurant, but no other guest lounge areas.

That much said, we were impressed with the food (wide choice for breakfast and our evening meal - which was table d'hote terms). Well cooked and presented.

Room Tip: Vast majority on two floors in an H-pattern. Some have views over open farmland.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that your first impressions of Horwood House exceeded your expectations.
The main house holds several suites and conference rooms and the rest of our 185 bedrooms are situated to the back of the grounds. The majority of our rooms are equipped for our conference guests, although if somebody requires a slightly bigger room or if a guest is here for a weekend break our front of house staff would be only more than happy to try and allocate one of the larger rooms or upgrade you to one of our suites.
I am glad that your dining experience here was so enjoyable and we hope to welcome you back to Horwood House in the future.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

The first impression of this hotel is the magnificent original main building which is approached by a long drive with an avenue of trees, the main accommodation is in newer blocks all situated out of view from the main frontage of the hotel. check in was smooth and swift with a pleasant young lady who was friendly and chatty.

The room I was given was a newer one out the back down a maze of corridors, it did take a bit of finding initially as the signs could be better.

The room was pretty standard, corporate hotel style although the bed was a very small double bed and would have been a tight squeeze should I had my wife with me. There was very little noise around the hotel even though on the first couple of nights it must have been almost full.
The bathroom was fine, with a shower over the bath. The hot water was a bit of a mystery as there was plenty the first couple of days (when the hotel was full) but it was only tepid on the third day when the hotel was pretty quiet and then hot again the fourth day once again when the place was almost empty.

The leisure facilities were ok, smallish pool, compact gym and sauna. The gym has air con but does not seem to be working as it felt hotter than the sauna.

The breakfast offering was all buffet style, the staff were really on their game being both friendly and very efficient in their duties. The breakfast food was great. The evening food was overpriced for what was offered as it was very simple dishes and not particularly generous in portion sizes. What did turn up was reasonably ok but let's face it how can them mess up pâté and burger and chips?
The remote location and consequent captive market was most apparent when it comes to their pricing in the bar,the drinks prices are very much at the top end, £4.50 or so for a bottle of Becks is a bit outrageous.

The wifi works ok but is a severely limited service unless you pay for it. It is a very low speed and only allows 30 min before you have the hassle of having to log on as a new user every time. I do not know what they charge for the upper speed (still not very fast) always on option, but it seem very petty to have such a policy when the price for my week was £400 + .

I would definitely use this hotel again as I slept we'll due to the quiet surroundings but if you like to drink and eat in house it may be a disappointment and potentially costly affair. The price we paid for what was on offer was very reasonable especially considering the location. The staff in my experience were all very friendly and good humoured, even when we caused uproar by asking to order restaurant food in the bar, although why this is such a drama in the first place is beyond me as it is all cooked in the same place and they are only 15 yards apart.

Overall a pretty good experience in a more than acceptable hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
GuestRelations2013, Guest Relations Manager at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for your enquiry, I am delighted that your first impression of Horwood House was a magnificent one and that our front of house staff were friendly and provided you with a smooth and swift check in.
I am glad that your room met your needs and that you were not disturbed by any noise from other guests in the hotel. I will investigate the water pressure point that you have raised to ensure that this does not happen in the future and I will also investigate the air conditioning unit in the gym, as I have not been made aware of this. We have duty managers available day and night should you need to report a fault and they would have been more than happy to have resolved any issues you had when staying here.
I will pass on your positive feedback to our restaurant staff who work hard to ensure that our guests receive a high level of service and they will be pleased to know how their hard work is paying off.
It is unusual to receive negative feedback with regards to the food here at Horwood House, but we welcome all feedback as it is through constructive criticism that we can move forward and ensure the highest level of service to our guests. Generally £25 for 3 courses compares well with local hotels and pubs.
Thank you for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for a wedding 1st December 2012 and stayed for two nights.
There were around 20 of us staying the bride booked a meal for us all at 7pm but on arrival we were told we had to change it to 8pm (even though no-one else was in the restaurant) the food was cold and we witnessed the events manager making the bride cry.
All our rooms were spread out amongst the hotel, even though we were the only bunch staying, we also had no offer of help with our bags.
Rooms are small and crowded, décor dated and old TVs, shower barely sprayed any water and was cold for second shower.
There is no facility to get a cold drink over night and no room service, we did go looking for a member of staff at 2am but found no-one.
Arriving back at hotel after wedding ceremony we asked for a hot drink but were told this wasn't possible and could only have bar drinks. The drinks prices are outrageous and unjustified. We were not informed of any facilities such as games room or use of pool and the WiFi option just doesn't make sense!
Very disappointed not only for us but also the bride who was clearly stressed and embarrassed.
Massive room for improvements needed.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank JABDLL
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations.
There has been a change of management here at Horwood House and we are making positive steps with regards to addressing our service culture to change our business and maintain high standards that our guests expect.
Thank you for your comments which are valued & will be utilized to improve future service

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed here with my fiancee found it a bit hard to find but when we got there it was lovely the room was lovely nice decor and staff very friendly would reccomend and will be staying here again. The food we had in the resturant was nice and the views are lovely to .

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank mel r
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that you found the hotel, décor and restaurant to be of a high standard and that our friendly and helpful staff created such a memorable stay for you and your fiancée.
I look forward to welcoming you back, if you get the chance to stay at Horwood House again

Reviewed January 22, 2013

For a hotel that caters to a very large volume of corporate clientele, I was extremely surprised at the lack of awareness of their own staff.

There was no,attempt at clearing snow from the car park or drive outside - so you walk through a slushy mess (ruining work shoes). As I am recovering from a broken arm I still struggle with lifting anything heavier than a handbag, so I was very pleased when a member of staff opened the door for me. When I mentioned my arm there was no further offer of assistance with my case to my room.

The place is a huge maze and the signage is very poor - I got directions to the room and then got lost when she said turn left at the restaurant, there are two left turns! Another member of staff gave me more directions and then the lovely room staff (who I have to say were better than any of the front of house staff) then guided me to my room. Imagine my sheer frustration when a colleague told me that he was given a map by reception, along with a login for the wifi. A sign that the staff seem unconcerned was when I was struggling down the stairs with my case when a woman (with a name badge I didn't get) ushered past me with two men in suits, who thanked me for waiting. Chivalry is definitely lost here.

It's cold! Bloomin cold! Made worse in the lounge by staff 'popping' out one of the French doors opposite us several times for a smoke. Radiators didn't seem to be on in some corridors and didn't exist in others.

Whilst I was in a larger room it was miles away. The bed rolled every time you touched it. The shower sprays a fine mist of lukewarm water. There is no heating in the bathroom. The toilet ran water all night. Pillows that were the size of scatter cushions and a thin duvet on top of a mattress that rolled me to the middle of the bed every time I moved. On the plus point the towels provided were large.

I had the 'special' for dinner, roasted pork chilli. Massive chunks of dried pork, with little sauce. Very unappetising. Lunch on the other hand was very good and breakfast hearty and nicely cooked.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel as somewhere to stay any more than one night and I certainly would not return.

If you read many of my other reviews you can see that I am fair and give praise where it is due. I try to see the positives in my experiences and point out what would make them better. I have to say that it would take a fair bit of work here, but my suggestion would be to start with improving the signs to the rooms and offering assistance to single people arriving who are clearly struggling with their luggage.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank BlueWoman

Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry that there were so many aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. I would like to resove this with you, please contact me so that I can gather more information about the points that you have raised. We welcome all feedback here at Horwood House as it is through constructive criticism that we are able to monitor and maintain the standards within our hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Horwood
2 mi away
The Bell Hotel
The Bell Hotel
#1 of 1 in Winslow

Been to De Vere Horwood Estate? Share your experiences!