De Vere Horwood Estate
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Milton Keynes Hotel(Deanshanger)
  • Restaurant
1,506 results
All reviewshorwood housebeautiful groundswedding venuepool and saunaleisure facilitieswedding breakfastlovely settinga lovely staybuffet stylebletchley parkgroupon dealtempus restaurantjuliacountryside
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The first impression of this hotel is the magnificent original main building which is approached by a long drive with an avenue of trees, the main accommodation is in newer blocks all situated out of view from the main frontage of the hotel. check in was smooth and swift with a pleasant young lady who was friendly and chatty.

The room I was given was a newer one out the back down a maze of corridors, it did take a bit of finding initially as the signs could be better.

The room was pretty standard, corporate hotel style although the bed was a very small double bed and would have been a tight squeeze should I had my wife with me. There was very little noise around the hotel even though on the first couple of nights it must have been almost full.
The bathroom was fine, with a shower over the bath. The hot water was a bit of a mystery as there was plenty the first couple of days (when the hotel was full) but it was only tepid on the third day when the hotel was pretty quiet and then hot again the fourth day once again when the place was almost empty.

The leisure facilities were ok, smallish pool, compact gym and sauna. The gym has air con but does not seem to be working as it felt hotter than the sauna.

The breakfast offering was all buffet style, the staff were really on their game being both friendly and very efficient in their duties. The breakfast food was great. The evening food was overpriced for what was offered as it was very simple dishes and not particularly generous in portion sizes. What did turn up was reasonably ok but let's face it how can them mess up pâté and burger and chips?
The remote location and consequent captive market was most apparent when it comes to their pricing in the bar,the drinks prices are very much at the top end, £4.50 or so for a bottle of Becks is a bit outrageous.

The wifi works ok but is a severely limited service unless you pay for it. It is a very low speed and only allows 30 min before you have the hassle of having to log on as a new user every time. I do not know what they charge for the upper speed (still not very fast) always on option, but it seem very petty to have such a policy when the price for my week was £400 + .

I would definitely use this hotel again as I slept we'll due to the quiet surroundings but if you like to drink and eat in house it may be a disappointment and potentially costly affair. The price we paid for what was on offer was very reasonable especially considering the location. The staff in my experience were all very friendly and good humoured, even when we caused uproar by asking to order restaurant food in the bar, although why this is such a drama in the first place is beyond me as it is all cooked in the same place and they are only 15 yards apart.

Overall a pretty good experience in a more than acceptable hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
GuestRelations2013, Guest Relations Manager at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for your enquiry, I am delighted that your first impression of Horwood House was a magnificent one and that our front of house staff were friendly and provided you with a smooth and swift check in.
I am glad that your room met your needs and that you were not disturbed by any noise from other guests in the hotel. I will investigate the water pressure point that you have raised to ensure that this does not happen in the future and I will also investigate the air conditioning unit in the gym, as I have not been made aware of this. We have duty managers available day and night should you need to report a fault and they would have been more than happy to have resolved any issues you had when staying here.
I will pass on your positive feedback to our restaurant staff who work hard to ensure that our guests receive a high level of service and they will be pleased to know how their hard work is paying off.
It is unusual to receive negative feedback with regards to the food here at Horwood House, but we welcome all feedback as it is through constructive criticism that we can move forward and ensure the highest level of service to our guests. Generally £25 for 3 courses compares well with local hotels and pubs.
Thank you for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for a wedding 1st December 2012 and stayed for two nights.
There were around 20 of us staying the bride booked a meal for us all at 7pm but on arrival we were told we had to change it to 8pm (even though no-one else was in the restaurant) the food was cold and we witnessed the events manager making the bride cry.
All our rooms were spread out amongst the hotel, even though we were the only bunch staying, we also had no offer of help with our bags.
Rooms are small and crowded, décor dated and old TVs, shower barely sprayed any water and was cold for second shower.
There is no facility to get a cold drink over night and no room service, we did go looking for a member of staff at 2am but found no-one.
Arriving back at hotel after wedding ceremony we asked for a hot drink but were told this wasn't possible and could only have bar drinks. The drinks prices are outrageous and unjustified. We were not informed of any facilities such as games room or use of pool and the WiFi option just doesn't make sense!
Very disappointed not only for us but also the bride who was clearly stressed and embarrassed.
Massive room for improvements needed.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank JABDLL
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations.
There has been a change of management here at Horwood House and we are making positive steps with regards to addressing our service culture to change our business and maintain high standards that our guests expect.
Thank you for your comments which are valued & will be utilized to improve future service

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed here with my fiancee found it a bit hard to find but when we got there it was lovely the room was lovely nice decor and staff very friendly would reccomend and will be staying here again. The food we had in the resturant was nice and the views are lovely to .

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank mel r
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that you found the hotel, décor and restaurant to be of a high standard and that our friendly and helpful staff created such a memorable stay for you and your fiancée.
I look forward to welcoming you back, if you get the chance to stay at Horwood House again

Reviewed January 22, 2013

For a hotel that caters to a very large volume of corporate clientele, I was extremely surprised at the lack of awareness of their own staff.

There was no,attempt at clearing snow from the car park or drive outside - so you walk through a slushy mess (ruining work shoes). As I am recovering from a broken arm I still struggle with lifting anything heavier than a handbag, so I was very pleased when a member of staff opened the door for me. When I mentioned my arm there was no further offer of assistance with my case to my room.

The place is a huge maze and the signage is very poor - I got directions to the room and then got lost when she said turn left at the restaurant, there are two left turns! Another member of staff gave me more directions and then the lovely room staff (who I have to say were better than any of the front of house staff) then guided me to my room. Imagine my sheer frustration when a colleague told me that he was given a map by reception, along with a login for the wifi. A sign that the staff seem unconcerned was when I was struggling down the stairs with my case when a woman (with a name badge I didn't get) ushered past me with two men in suits, who thanked me for waiting. Chivalry is definitely lost here.

It's cold! Bloomin cold! Made worse in the lounge by staff 'popping' out one of the French doors opposite us several times for a smoke. Radiators didn't seem to be on in some corridors and didn't exist in others.

Whilst I was in a larger room it was miles away. The bed rolled every time you touched it. The shower sprays a fine mist of lukewarm water. There is no heating in the bathroom. The toilet ran water all night. Pillows that were the size of scatter cushions and a thin duvet on top of a mattress that rolled me to the middle of the bed every time I moved. On the plus point the towels provided were large.

I had the 'special' for dinner, roasted pork chilli. Massive chunks of dried pork, with little sauce. Very unappetising. Lunch on the other hand was very good and breakfast hearty and nicely cooked.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel as somewhere to stay any more than one night and I certainly would not return.

If you read many of my other reviews you can see that I am fair and give praise where it is due. I try to see the positives in my experiences and point out what would make them better. I have to say that it would take a fair bit of work here, but my suggestion would be to start with improving the signs to the rooms and offering assistance to single people arriving who are clearly struggling with their luggage.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank BlueWoman

Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry that there were so many aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. I would like to resove this with you, please contact me so that I can gather more information about the points that you have raised. We welcome all feedback here at Horwood House as it is through constructive criticism that we are able to monitor and maintain the standards within our hotel.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

A family member just got married at Horwood House. (Jan 2013) The venue was decorated beautifully and the staff couldn't do enough for us.
We have a young boy (21 months), unfortunately he was very ill during the evening and 3 bedrooms later and everything washed and dried for us for no extra cost I was so impressed.
I was expecting to at least pay for the washing of our clothes and our sons bed linen and maybe a bit for changing rooms twice!
All staff from reception staff, bar staff and porters were on hand to assist us with our son.
Brilliant wedding and weekend!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lee B

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that you found Horwood House to be a great Wedding Venue and that our staff were friendly and helpful. I shall pass on your comments to our staff so that they can appreciate how their hard work has paid off and made such a special occasion even more memorable for you.