For a hotel that caters to a very large volume of corporate clientele, I was extremely surprised at the lack of awareness of their own staff.
There was no,attempt at clearing snow from the car park or drive outside - so you walk through a slushy mess (ruining work shoes). As I am recovering from a broken arm I still struggle with lifting anything heavier than a handbag, so I was very pleased when a member of staff opened the door for me. When I mentioned my arm there was no further offer of assistance with my case to my room.
The place is a huge maze and the signage is very poor - I got directions to the room and then got lost when she said turn left at the restaurant, there are two left turns! Another member of staff gave me more directions and then the lovely room staff (who I have to say were better than any of the front of house staff) then guided me to my room. Imagine my sheer frustration when a colleague told me that he was given a map by reception, along with a login for the wifi. A sign that the staff seem unconcerned was when I was struggling down the stairs with my case when a woman (with a name badge I didn't get) ushered past me with two men in suits, who thanked me for waiting. Chivalry is definitely lost here.
It's cold! Bloomin cold! Made worse in the lounge by staff 'popping' out one of the French doors opposite us several times for a smoke. Radiators didn't seem to be on in some corridors and didn't exist in others.
Whilst I was in a larger room it was miles away. The bed rolled every time you touched it. The shower sprays a fine mist of lukewarm water. There is no heating in the bathroom. The toilet ran water all night. Pillows that were the size of scatter cushions and a thin duvet on top of a mattress that rolled me to the middle of the bed every time I moved. On the plus point the towels provided were large.
I had the 'special' for dinner, roasted pork chilli. Massive chunks of dried pork, with little sauce. Very unappetising. Lunch on the other hand was very good and breakfast hearty and nicely cooked.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel as somewhere to stay any more than one night and I certainly would not return.
If you read many of my other reviews you can see that I am fair and give praise where it is due. I try to see the positives in my experiences and point out what would make them better. I have to say that it would take a fair bit of work here, but my suggestion would be to start with improving the signs to the rooms and offering assistance to single people arriving who are clearly struggling with their luggage.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- De Vere Horwood Estate combines the best of a period Manor House, set in 38 acres, with the modern facilities of Tempus Bar and Restaurant, extensive meeting and function rooms and 185 bedrooms. Our swimming pool and gym are available for all resident guests to enjoy ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your De Vere Horwood Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Horwood House And Leisure Club Hotel Little Horwood
- Horwood Hotel And Leisure
- De Vere Horwood Estate Little Horwood, Buckinghamshire, UK