“All my pet hates rolled into one!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of De Vere Horwood Estate

De Vere Horwood Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Horwood
Folsom, California
“All my pet hates rolled into one!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

For a hotel that caters to a very large volume of corporate clientele, I was extremely surprised at the lack of awareness of their own staff.

There was no,attempt at clearing snow from the car park or drive outside - so you walk through a slushy mess (ruining work shoes). As I am recovering from a broken arm I still struggle with lifting anything heavier than a handbag, so I was very pleased when a member of staff opened the door for me. When I mentioned my arm there was no further offer of assistance with my case to my room.

The place is a huge maze and the signage is very poor - I got directions to the room and then got lost when she said turn left at the restaurant, there are two left turns! Another member of staff gave me more directions and then the lovely room staff (who I have to say were better than any of the front of house staff) then guided me to my room. Imagine my sheer frustration when a colleague told me that he was given a map by reception, along with a login for the wifi. A sign that the staff seem unconcerned was when I was struggling down the stairs with my case when a woman (with a name badge I didn't get) ushered past me with two men in suits, who thanked me for waiting. Chivalry is definitely lost here.

It's cold! Bloomin cold! Made worse in the lounge by staff 'popping' out one of the French doors opposite us several times for a smoke. Radiators didn't seem to be on in some corridors and didn't exist in others.

Whilst I was in a larger room it was miles away. The bed rolled every time you touched it. The shower sprays a fine mist of lukewarm water. There is no heating in the bathroom. The toilet ran water all night. Pillows that were the size of scatter cushions and a thin duvet on top of a mattress that rolled me to the middle of the bed every time I moved. On the plus point the towels provided were large.

I had the 'special' for dinner, roasted pork chilli. Massive chunks of dried pork, with little sauce. Very unappetising. Lunch on the other hand was very good and breakfast hearty and nicely cooked.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel as somewhere to stay any more than one night and I certainly would not return.

If you read many of my other reviews you can see that I am fair and give praise where it is due. I try to see the positives in my experiences and point out what would make them better. I have to say that it would take a fair bit of work here, but my suggestion would be to start with improving the signs to the rooms and offering assistance to single people arriving who are clearly struggling with their luggage.

3 Thank BlueWoman
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry that there were so many aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. I would like to resove this with you, please contact me so that I can gather more information about the points that you have raised. We welcome all feedback here at Horwood House as it is through constructive criticism that we are able to monitor and maintain the standards within our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

A family member just got married at Horwood House. (Jan 2013) The venue was decorated beautifully and the staff couldn't do enough for us.
We have a young boy (21 months), unfortunately he was very ill during the evening and 3 bedrooms later and everything washed and dried for us for no extra cost I was so impressed.
I was expecting to at least pay for the washing of our clothes and our sons bed linen and maybe a bit for changing rooms twice!
All staff from reception staff, bar staff and porters were on hand to assist us with our son.
Brilliant wedding and weekend!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lee B
Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that you found Horwood House to be a great Wedding Venue and that our staff were friendly and helpful. I shall pass on your comments to our staff so that they can appreciate how their hard work has paid off and made such a special occasion even more memorable for you.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

Pros:
*Room quite comfy, clean and quiet.
*Staff friendly
*Pleasant setting
*Breakfast quite reasonable
Cons:
*My biggest gripe is that I was there during the recent snow, and the route from the car park to reception was ungritted, very slippy and (unbelievably) unlit! There are lights there, but not actually working. This was my second visit to the hotel in a fortnight, and the lights were out on both occasions. Why on earth this isn't a priority for the management here is beyond me - you imagine one slip in the dark and they'll be forced to get the chequebook out...
*I just walked past a plug socket with a scorch mark on one of the holes in a public area - health and safety does not seem to be a priority.
*It is so obviously a business venue - it is just a conference centre with bedrooms really. There is no way I would go anywhere near the place for anything other than a business trip. The place is basically full of David Brents, and if that isn't your sort of crowd then the atmosphere isn't up to much.
*The TV in the room is a relic from the 1980s - a) it makes the place feel low budget as anywhere else you stay has a modern flatscreen/lcd TV & b) [personal thing] when I am away from home I bring my PS3 for something to do in the evenings, and this wasn't an option.
*The internet provision is poor. You have to keep logging in every 30 minutes (can't see a reason for this - it is just annoying), and it is also reeeeeeeally slow. This is not what you would expect from a business venue. It was particularly irritating as I was trying to do some university work this week. You have the option of paying a higher rate for a quicker connection, but I am not a mug and wouldn't do it out of principle.
*I just went to the bar for a diet coke and was charged £2 for a 200ml bottle. The hotel will probably claim this is 'competitive', but this is plainly not the case. At that rate it would be the equivalent of buying a 2 litre bottle for £20.

Horwood House is a very thin veneer of style over a rather paltry amount of substance. If you were looking for somewhere to be horizontal and unconscious for a few hours then I suppose it is adequate. Ultimately though I won't be coming back because a) they don't really seem to give a monkeys about whether you break your neck in their car park, & b) it is just the sort of soul-destroying place that makes you feel a little bit sad.

1 Thank Doghead19
Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that you appreciated our beautiful setting and you found our staff to be friendly and that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet.
However, I am disappointed that there were other elements of your stay that did not meet your expectations.
As I am sure you were aware during the latest spell of heavy snow and freezing temperatures, even main roads were difficult to keep clear at all times. We keep a supply of grit and main thoroughfares were gritted and cleared.
With regard to bedroom stock and additional services, our prices are regularly checked and in fact many of our competitors charge up to £15 per day for wifi.

Travelers are raving about these Little Horwood hotels

Stockport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Horwood house was a beautiful backdrop for my nieces wedding (Dec 2012). Initially I was a bit put out by how far our room was from the main part of the hotel but it didn't take long to get used to it. The room was standard size, big enough for a travel cot and single bunk (provided by Horwood). They were very clean and well maintained. The staff were really helpful, polite and accommodated us (family of four with two little ones) we felt like they couldn't have done more to help. The pool was brilliant and the kids loved being able to swim. The food was nice, lots to choose from. We had a fabulous family get together in nice surroundings.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you and your family experienced such a positive stay here at Horwood House, and that your children enjoyed using our leisure facilities.
I shall pass on your feedback to everyone, as our staff work very hard to ensure that all of our guests enjoy their time with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

My daughter recently had her wedding reception at Horwood house and it was fantastic. It's a beautiful venue and the helpful friendly staff made it even more so. A lot of the family stayed over for a couple of nights and all said how clean the rooms were. We had a lovely time and all enjoyed our stay.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that your stay here at Horwood House was so positive. Our team work very hard to ensure that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay with us and I shall pass on your feedback to everyone, so that they can appreciate how their hard work is paying off.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

I over-nighted there as part of a corporate event and can honestly say it was a very poor experience.
I have stopped in some of the best hotels in Europe and some of the worst and this (I'm afraid) is one of the bad ones. Very impressive on arrival, imposing reception but downhill from there on.
My room was small (after I had found it without any assistance with bags) along miles of similar looking corridors. Facilities were basic to say the least.
I dined in the bar area which was not at all what I expected form a hotel claiming to be a four star. The food was over priced and poor quality, considering the rates that they were charging. The good side:the staff were efficient, friendly and helpful throughout my stay.
As an independent traveller I would not think to book in here and find another hotel that truly lived up to its four star status.
Just my humble opinion but that was my experience as I saw it.

Room Tip: Find another hotel offering better rooms and better value
3 Thank David P
Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that you found our staff to be efficient, friendly and helpful.
I am disappointed however that your stay at Horwood House did not meet your expectations with regard to bedroom size. Our bedroom product generally suits our midweek business guests well, we do have some larger rooms however they are a little further away and we therefore allocate the nearest rooms first. If you have an opportunity to stay again, I would be happy to upgrade you to one of these rooms. Similarly it is unusual to find negative comments with regard to our food pricing or quality. Generally £25 for 3 courses compares well with local hotels and indeed pubs. Thank you for taking the time to share your views
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We spent NY here with a group of friends. It was great value - £99 pp got us a nights accomodation, 3 course meal, breakfast and some very dodgy champagne.
The venue is beautifully decorated and the staff were very poilte - well those we encountered (however, some of our friends had a different experience - 40 min to be let into their room; 20 min wait for a coffee to be told the machines were switched off and that she needed to get a notebook to take an order of 2 drinks...)
The room was exceptionally small with a bed that can be only described as an overlarge single (I stayed here for a conference before which on your own is fine, but sharing the bed with my husband was interesting!). The shower was only a dribble - very relieved I had washed my hair before we arrived as friends took to using the plastic cups to rinse the shampoo! However the decor was contemporary and the room was very clean.
The food was good - during the evening and for breakfast. The evening itself was great fun - but I believe this is down to company we had!
And yes it is a maze of hotel! We found friends wondering the corridors at 2.30am looking for their room (the hotel definitely needs to look at how they use their signage for hopeless cases - hahaha!)
Would we stay here again? - yes for NY. If we had friends getting married here - yes. Otherwise we would have no need. If you are choosing to come here, ask for an old room - they are huge (not as nicely decorated) but you'll be in better comfort! (although you may still have a dribble for a shower).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank HannahLB
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your NYE, however I am concerned that your friends did not share the same initial experience.
New Years Eve was a very busy time for us and our reception staff would have wanted to make sure that all of our guests were checked in correctly and this may explain the delay that your friends experienced. I will investigate this feedback to make sure that our check in procedures are working correctly to ensure issues such as this do not arise in the future as we welcome all feedback here at Horwood House to enable us to offer a high level of service.
Complimentary tea and coffee is supplied in all of our rooms, however if coffee is required during bar opening hours then our bar staff can provide this to our guests. Please let me know at what time your friends were unable to be supplied with coffee so that I can investigate this further.
We have duty managers available day and night to resolve any issues that may occur for any of our guests and they would have been more that happy to help resolve any problem with your shower.
Our housekeeping staff take great pride in making sure all of our rooms are of a high standard for our guests and I shall pass on your positive comments of how clean you found your room and how beautifully decorated the hotel was.
I am delighted that you had a great New Years Eve with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Horwood
Five Arrows Hotel
Five Arrows Hotel
#1 of 2 in Waddesdon
BEST WESTERN Buckingham Hotel

Been to De Vere Horwood Estate? Share your experiences!