“a review of two halves...”

De Vere Horwood Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Horwood
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I was involved in a training event and this was my first visit to this hotel. The approach up a long drive is very attractive - but what a strange hotel this is! The original old house is beautiful but it has a series of ugly extensions and it rather labyrinthine - you need to leave a trail of breadcrumbs to find your way round (as several of my fellow guests commented to me!). It feels more like a training centre than a country house hotel - if I had booked the hotel for a special occasion I would have been rather disappointed. The welcome at reception was ok - not overly warm but not unfriendly either. I was surprised to see people at reception watch me through a window struggle across the forecourt with a wonky case, bag and briefcase but not open the door for me to help me come in. I liked my room (255) - it was quite small but well appointed with a comfortable bed and small study area with desk and chair adjacent to the bathroom. However, I was less happy when I realised how poor the soundproofing was to the corridor - a company was having their Christmas night out and I was awoken by drunken revellers at 12.30, 1.10, 1.50, 2.10, 2.30, 2.50 and 3.30 - although i appreciate that It's not the hotel's fault that these guests behaved so thoughtlessly. The conference facilities team were excellent - responsive, polite and helpful. There was a flashing strip light in the room I was using (Eyre) which I reported at breakfast and was fixed before I started my morning session. The restaurant staff were also very good - friendly and helpful and the food was delicious - a wide choice, fresh and tasty and well presented. The main lounge bar is an attractive space and good quality teas and coffees are always available so you don't need to fix a break time which is very useful. So this is NOT the place for a romantic weekend I would say - but good for a corporate event (like training) if you don't need anywhere too 'swanky' and want good value for money.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that our conference team were responsive, polite and helpful and I shall pass on your feedback so that they can appreciate how their hardwork pays off. I am also delighted with your positive feedback of our restaurant and so glad that you enjoyed the food and beverages available to you. I am also pleased that your room was comfortable and suited the purpose of your visit.
I am, however, disappointed that your initial welcome did not meet your expectations and welcome your feedback, so that I can ensure our front of house staff are given the correct support and training to ensure that our guests are welcomed in a warm and friendly manner.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

As I speak I am in my hotel room steaming from a run in with a very rude member of staff. I am here for a business meeting and Xmas party. The rooms and beds are minuscule unless you complain and then get moved to a slightly larger room with no hot water when you have to complain again and find in your third room a live bug on your bed!! One round of 6 drinks cost £33 and I have just been charged £10 for a salad only after I complained that it was going to cost me £20!!
Poor quality venue, rude staff and very overpriced. Do not consider this hotel for anything and remember looks can be deceiving .

2  Thank M G
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Thank you for your feedback, however I am disappointed that your stay did not meet all your expectations. We understand that you were accompanying a guest at the NHBC meeting.
Our lunch buffet in our Tempus restaurant is charged at £20 per head, this charge covers a soup, salad and hot main meal (inc vegetarian choice) and dessert buffet and is enjoyed by all of our guests that are here for lunch. As the service is a buffet, it is charged as a 2 course meal as we cannot control what guests choose.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

This is being written from Horwood House, where I have been staying overnight to contribute to a training course. Fom the moment I arrived, staff could not be more pleasant and helpful. The conference facilities are superb and my room is modern, spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The food is excellent - we had an Indian buffet this evening which was quite oustanding. I don't recognise the place from the poor reviews - perhaps I have just been lucky, but I would not hesitate to recommend!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that your stay here at Horwood House was so positive. Our team work very hard to ensure that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay with us and I shall pass on your feedback to everyone, so that they can appreciate how their hard work is paying off.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Good facilities for running residential training courses in an olde-worldly country house. In keeping with this theme, rooms are basic and more functional than luxurious. There is a good communal bar area for groups to take coffee and biscuits or have break-out sessions. For a 3 day stay it was a nice choice of venue, it's miles from anywhere so a longer stay may bring on a bout of cabin fever though. Good food in the restaurant, warning; you're sure to leave a few pounds heavier!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that our conference facilities met your expectations and you enjoyed your stay and dining experience, apologies for the extra pounds!

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed for three nights last week and can honestly say that this was a very depressing experience. Despite the very friendly welcome at reception things rapidly went downhill. I did not wish to eat in the bar or restaurant that night so on checking in asked if there was a room service menu only to be advised that this facility was not offered !
It took me ages to find my tiny room (even with the map given out at reception ! ) going up down stairs and along numerous corridors, this was the most disorientating lay out of a holel I have ever experienced. Once I had struggled to my room with my bags and suit carrier I set off to try and get something to eat. I ordered in the bar but then had to trek back to the room with a tray trying not to drop my dinner or spill my drink, not a great experience.

I then discovered I had no TV remote and due to the age of the TV wondered it if it actually came with one. Another trek back to reception to get this sorted out.

Eating in the restaurant, over priced very average food, was again not an experience I would consider recommending. Both starter and main courses I ordered were unavailable and this was after being turned away from the place as the chef couldn't cope ! A colleague of mine ordered the last portion of mussels and they literally didn't even cover the bottom of the pan they were served in. If I had been staying voluntarily I would have walked out of the hotel and found somewhere else but as I was attending a work seminar this wasn't possible. I hope never to have to return. By the way, don't expect to be able to use your mobile, there is no reception in the building at all, not great when it's freezing outside !

The only good aspect was the dining room and reception staff who are to be highly congratulated on their good nature and stoicism in doing what must be a very difficult job.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank martin f

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you find the team throughout to be friendly, hard working and guest focussed.
A property with 185 bedrooms will always be a little tricky to negotiate, apologies of course if you found this detracted from your comfort. Similiarly, I would like to apologise that the bedroom check had not picked up the missing remote control, we have porters on duty who, if called would have saved you the journey.
With regards to your food feedback, it is highly unusual that guests do not find something from our extensive breakfast & lunch buffet or from our Tempus restaurant or Tempus bar menus which they enjoy. We were particularly busy on one evening and it is just this kind of occasion that we have had to make the decision not to offer room service.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

My wife and I decided to celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary by doing our first Murder Weekend. It was a large event with over 90 people taking part in the event, the staff, and I do mean all of them, were under constant pressue over the whole weekend and never once did any member of staff stop smiling or complain about the people or event. Nothing was to much trouble for them and the hotel itself was well attired and comfortable. The food was excellant, however, the bar is really expensive (so take your own!)

Room Tip: If you are infirmed ask for a room close to the reception because there is alot of stairs through ou...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that your stay here highlighted lots of positive points. Thank you for taking the time to relay your enjoyable stay here at Horwood House, it means a lot to our team who work very hard to provide a pleasant and efficient service. We have a Quality Wins scheme at Horwood House which promotes excellent customer service from all our staff members to ensure that our standards remain high and I will make sure that your feedback is shared at our next meeting. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

A very average hotel. Finding your room takes an age along a warren of corridors. The bedrooms are incredibly small, the bath fills very slowly and the cleanliness isn't wonderful in the bathroom. The food at dinner was very unadventurous and the breakfast buffet nothing exciting. I would certainly find somewhere better to stay if I visit the area again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank EnglishRuthless

Thank you for your feedback, although of course, I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your experience. We do have a duty manager available day and night and they would have been available to help resolve the issues that arose with your room. Please would you contact me regarding the food feedback that you have given, as we rarely have negative feedback regarding the food on our menu here at Horwood House and would urgently like to gather more information in order to investigate the issues fully and ensure that all matters are rectified.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Horwood
#1 of 1 in Winslow
Novotel Milton Keynes
Novotel Milton Keynes
#7 of 35 in Milton Keynes

Been to De Vere Horwood Estate? Share your experiences!