“Would most definately stay again!”

De Vere Horwood Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Horwood
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I planned a surprise five days away for my partner and I, which included going to Woburn Safri Park, Woburn Abbey/Gardens and Deer Park, along with Stowe House/Gardens. Also an ideal location to stay if you are going to Milton Keyes or Silverstone race track.
The photgraphs on their offical site do not do Horwood House justice and I truly do not understand people giving this stunning Hotel bad reviews.
I asked for a modern room on the top floor, overlooking their beautiful landscaped gardens, and that is what we were given.
The breakfasts we had each morning were delicious, you could have as much as you wished.
We spent each day out and about, in the evenings though there was so much to do... We played tennis, had a go on the putting green, played table football and pool. The swimming pool we had to ourselves as well as the jacuzzi, both were just heavenly.
We both found the staff to be very polite and extremely helpful.
Because this hotel does have a business centre and caters for weddings, you do not really get that many families stay here, so not many children. We saw just two the entire five days, which was great as I just wished to stay somewhere which was in a very rural, quite location... and that again is what we had. It was so peaceful and lots of wildlife in the gardens.
Most definately would stay here again if we are ever in the area.
Finally... what you get for your money is truly amazing. Especially when you consider what other hotels charge and they have no where near the facilities Horwood House has and some even charge breakfasts separately.

Room Tip: Ask for the type of room you would like.
2  Thank Shaz555
Write a ReviewReviews (1,448)

Reviewed June 13, 2011

I wouldn't have paid full price but under £80 for B&B for the two of us was good value. We arrived early afternoon so made full use of the tennis court and swimming pool. We decided against eating in the restaurant as they had a couple of weddings on so we thought we might not get the best of attention - and a friend had recommended a nearby pub which was very good even if it meant I couldn't have a drink.

The hotel looks very grand when you arrive and check in but our room was in the newer extension used for conference bookings. However although it was small it was absolutely fine. Shower was excellent and the bed was comfortable. The hotel's fairly large and on several floors to cope with the hill it's built on which gets confusing at times! Breakfast was the usual - but we were happy with that. We'd come back if we needed to be in the area again. It was handy for Stowe Landscape Gardens, the Spy Academy and Waddeson Manor. Reception staff were friendly and helpful.

Reviewed June 5, 2011

A realyl imposing drive up to a lovely building. Enjoy it............it is the best bit. Once inside it is a very normal corporate type operation. The management clearly believe they are operating an upmarket venue and use the bar prices to remind you. Profiiteering is the only word that fits.........

No doubt the wedding party room cost was quite high and then they rob the guests......and our british manners stop us moaning!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tl892
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2011

Thank you for your feedback. I am of course disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay. We do regularly review our bar tariffis to ensure that we are competitive with other hotels and wedding venues. We do ask guests to use our Talkback questionnaires so that we can capture all feedback. I will add your comments. Thank you for taking the time to highlight this. Lucy Talbot

Reviewed June 4, 2011

Me and my girlfriend booked a last minute weekend at this lovely to look at hotel on the bank holiday weekend. It looked amazing on the drive up but after we checked in we was in a tiny 70s/80s decor room and as usual it was soooooo hot!!! We booked a table for dinner and the food was excellent I have to say. the bar staff didn't know how to serve people and didn't know what Tia Maria was. I would stay here again but if the room had a refurbished touch and they took the conference feel out of the hotel then it would be much better. the leisure facilities were not bad. the guy on reception was very informative and quick.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed May 29, 2011

If u require toiletries or towels then take your own as even if you are lucky enough to receive them they will be of little use. Don't be in a rush to find ur room as u won't find it in a hurry. Don't expect to find friendly or helpful staff because u won't. A wet suit maybe useful when using the swimming pool because the water is freezing! The rooms are very small not good if u suffer with claustrophobia. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained and the food was edible. Sorry guys but disappointing!

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Miss_sunshine24

Thank you for your feedback, we are always grateful to know where we need to improve. I am of course very disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay. I cannot find any feedback here from the date range and wonder whether you brought these issues to the attention of the management team on property. I am concerned re swimming pool temperature particularly as we test this on several occasions per day and cannot find any readings below normal. Thank you once again for bringing these areas to our attention, it is the only way we can grow. Lucy Talbot

Reviewed May 11, 2011

My now wife and I decided to have our wedding at Horwood House. So I should say now that I can’t really judge the place as a typical resident and will concentrate on how we found it as a wedding venue. I’d love to give you a list of all the things we took into consideration for our venue but just walking up to the front of the hotel was largely enough to convince us. The entrance is beautiful and was the most breath-taking of all the venues we checked. Wheelchair access was important as well and looked to have been well considered.
The old house is very picturesque though small compared to the hotel complex hidden behind it. They’ve screened off the larger complex very well. You get a nice mixture of modern facilities with historical glamour for photos. The ceremony was held in an area called the Manor Suite and we thought it looked wonderful on the day. Horwood House is set in some beautiful gardens so there’s plenty of scope for photos if the weather holds up.
Horwood House had two suites available for a wedding and we chose the Ayres suite. This gave us a dining area capable of holding 100-110 in comfort and an outer area containing a bar, several sofas and some built in seating areas. The outer area proved to be very agreeable to all our guests and I’d strongly recommend it to anyone looking for somewhere to host a party of similar size.
The staff looking after us were very helpful and did their best to ensure our day went without incident. They clearly know what they’re doing and we were glad to have no concerns about how the day would pan out.
We wanted a hog roast and this necessitated a buffet style menu for our guests. Horwood House were happy to accommodate our wishes though it appeared slightly unusual. The plan was that people would go one table at a time to collect their food but after a couple of tables had gone the rest just queued up. This caused quite a delay in some people getting their meal and, on reflection, it may have been better to set up two buffet tables. We certainly had the food to do it. As I mentioned though, our request was out of the ordinary.
Our bridal suite was very spacious. I saw another friend’s double room and there wasn’t much space around the bed. It looked a bit tight. Part of our wedding package included a special room rate for our guests. However, one of my friends tried booking directly and got an even cheaper deal. So check around if you’re planning on booking for a friend or relative’s wedding here.
I didn’t have time to visit the spa facilities so I’m afraid I can’t comment on them.
Horwood House has a very good mixture of old and new; giving a range of desirable features for your wedding. The staff there are well-versed in managing these events and ran our day very smoothly for us. So I’m more than happy to recommend Horwood House as a wedding venue and want to thank them again for all their help in making our day special!

Room Tip: Check online and directly with hotel
1  Thank seldon9

Thank you so much for your valuable response, we are always delighted to hear the good news but will also act on the areas to improve. I am delighted that we were able to be a great venue for your special day!

Lucy Talbot

Reviewed April 24, 2011

We had a two day stay for a family wedding reception with our two young children, the rooms were small to say the least and being in a court yard was inconvient. The worst aspect was that we had no HOT WATER for our entire stay. I personally complained and was ignored by the staff, a totally unacceptable condition for a stay in a hotel especially having young children. Having written to the management to complain about my stay i have been ignored with no reply. Do not waste your money on staying at this hotel when there are far cheaper ones in the area that will provide what you pay for and understand customer service.

Room Tip: Expensive rooms with no hot water
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2 mi away
The Bell Hotel
The Bell Hotel
#1 of 1 in Winslow

Been to De Vere Horwood Estate? Share your experiences!