“I Married my Dream Girl at Horwood House”

De Vere Horwood Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Horwood
Milton Keynes
“I Married my Dream Girl at Horwood House”
Reviewed May 11, 2011

My now wife and I decided to have our wedding at Horwood House. So I should say now that I can’t really judge the place as a typical resident and will concentrate on how we found it as a wedding venue. I’d love to give you a list of all the things we took into consideration for our venue but just walking up to the front of the hotel was largely enough to convince us. The entrance is beautiful and was the most breath-taking of all the venues we checked. Wheelchair access was important as well and looked to have been well considered.
The old house is very picturesque though small compared to the hotel complex hidden behind it. They’ve screened off the larger complex very well. You get a nice mixture of modern facilities with historical glamour for photos. The ceremony was held in an area called the Manor Suite and we thought it looked wonderful on the day. Horwood House is set in some beautiful gardens so there’s plenty of scope for photos if the weather holds up.
Horwood House had two suites available for a wedding and we chose the Ayres suite. This gave us a dining area capable of holding 100-110 in comfort and an outer area containing a bar, several sofas and some built in seating areas. The outer area proved to be very agreeable to all our guests and I’d strongly recommend it to anyone looking for somewhere to host a party of similar size.
The staff looking after us were very helpful and did their best to ensure our day went without incident. They clearly know what they’re doing and we were glad to have no concerns about how the day would pan out.
We wanted a hog roast and this necessitated a buffet style menu for our guests. Horwood House were happy to accommodate our wishes though it appeared slightly unusual. The plan was that people would go one table at a time to collect their food but after a couple of tables had gone the rest just queued up. This caused quite a delay in some people getting their meal and, on reflection, it may have been better to set up two buffet tables. We certainly had the food to do it. As I mentioned though, our request was out of the ordinary.
Our bridal suite was very spacious. I saw another friend’s double room and there wasn’t much space around the bed. It looked a bit tight. Part of our wedding package included a special room rate for our guests. However, one of my friends tried booking directly and got an even cheaper deal. So check around if you’re planning on booking for a friend or relative’s wedding here.
I didn’t have time to visit the spa facilities so I’m afraid I can’t comment on them.
Horwood House has a very good mixture of old and new; giving a range of desirable features for your wedding. The staff there are well-versed in managing these events and ran our day very smoothly for us. So I’m more than happy to recommend Horwood House as a wedding venue and want to thank them again for all their help in making our day special!

Room Tip: Check online and directly with hotel
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank seldon9
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Thank you so much for your valuable response, we are always delighted to hear the good news but will also act on the areas to improve. I am delighted that we were able to be a great venue for your special day!

Lucy Talbot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2011

We had a two day stay for a family wedding reception with our two young children, the rooms were small to say the least and being in a court yard was inconvient. The worst aspect was that we had no HOT WATER for our entire stay. I personally complained and was ignored by the staff, a totally unacceptable condition for a stay in a hotel especially having young children. Having written to the management to complain about my stay i have been ignored with no reply. Do not waste your money on staying at this hotel when there are far cheaper ones in the area that will provide what you pay for and understand customer service.

Room Tip: Expensive rooms with no hot water
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Little Horwood hotels

Reviewed April 23, 2011

I thoroughly recommend this hotel. It's a lovely old building in a fantastic location, and probably the best service I've ever had. Excellent food, lovely lounges and an array of leisure facilities. The swimming, snooker, table football, golf putting, tennis, walks, old wishing well - were loved by all. They helped me celebrate my birthday in grand style, and could not do enough for us. Thank you.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Pianoman50
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2011

When I stayed at this hotel for the first time, I was shocked - hair (not from the head!) in the bath, dirty cups etc. I complained and received a complimentary stay.

The second time was better as we had a superior room. Some details were missing, but after all this is more of an average hotel, aimed at conference bookings mainly.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2011

The beds were dirty and the main bed broken which injured my daughter and the duty managers, Kenny, response when i invited him to look at it, was to say that I he was manning reception and the only person in the hotel who could and then he called me ignorant and laughted.

Travel lodges are better.

Room Tip: Stay ANYWHERE ELSE
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Felixstowe, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2011

why are you so negative. wonderful house. everything clean, good breakfast.lovely walks through the woods and garden. very peaceful .the swimming pool clean with fluffy towels and a sauna.great

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2011

The surroundings are beautiful, public areas very good. Far too many short flights of stairs between bedrooms and other areas. However, it is the service that lets this place down. Reception not staffed in early evening (said they were 'helping guests') but it is the restaurant that is the main faling. The worst was breakfast buffet on Sunday: no glasses for fruit juice, no bowls for cereal, no fresh fruit, no yogurt. And this was 45 minutes before the closing time. Several people asked about these items (including myself) and were made to feel a nuisance, and given some vague response. Gave up waiting for cofffee -went into the lounge to find the machine instead.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank cburni
Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Horwood
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell
Woughton House - MGallery by Sofitel (was Mercure Parkside House)
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes
#1 of 2 in Chesham
Chicheley Hall
Chicheley Hall
#1 of 1 in Chicheley

Been to De Vere Horwood Estate? Share your experiences!