My now wife and I decided to have our wedding at Horwood House. So I should say now that I can’t really judge the place as a typical resident and will concentrate on how we found it as a wedding venue. I’d love to give you a list of all the things we took into consideration for our venue but just walking up to the front of the hotel was largely enough to convince us. The entrance is beautiful and was the most breath-taking of all the venues we checked. Wheelchair access was important as well and looked to have been well considered.
The old house is very picturesque though small compared to the hotel complex hidden behind it. They’ve screened off the larger complex very well. You get a nice mixture of modern facilities with historical glamour for photos. The ceremony was held in an area called the Manor Suite and we thought it looked wonderful on the day. Horwood House is set in some beautiful gardens so there’s plenty of scope for photos if the weather holds up.
Horwood House had two suites available for a wedding and we chose the Ayres suite. This gave us a dining area capable of holding 100-110 in comfort and an outer area containing a bar, several sofas and some built in seating areas. The outer area proved to be very agreeable to all our guests and I’d strongly recommend it to anyone looking for somewhere to host a party of similar size.
The staff looking after us were very helpful and did their best to ensure our day went without incident. They clearly know what they’re doing and we were glad to have no concerns about how the day would pan out.
We wanted a hog roast and this necessitated a buffet style menu for our guests. Horwood House were happy to accommodate our wishes though it appeared slightly unusual. The plan was that people would go one table at a time to collect their food but after a couple of tables had gone the rest just queued up. This caused quite a delay in some people getting their meal and, on reflection, it may have been better to set up two buffet tables. We certainly had the food to do it. As I mentioned though, our request was out of the ordinary.
Our bridal suite was very spacious. I saw another friend’s double room and there wasn’t much space around the bed. It looked a bit tight. Part of our wedding package included a special room rate for our guests. However, one of my friends tried booking directly and got an even cheaper deal. So check around if you’re planning on booking for a friend or relative’s wedding here.
I didn’t have time to visit the spa facilities so I’m afraid I can’t comment on them.
Horwood House has a very good mixture of old and new; giving a range of desirable features for your wedding. The staff there are well-versed in managing these events and ran our day very smoothly for us. So I’m more than happy to recommend Horwood House as a wedding venue and want to thank them again for all their help in making our day special!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- De Vere Horwood Estate combines the best of a period Manor House, set in 38 acres, with the modern facilities of Tempus Bar and Restaurant, extensive meeting and function rooms and 185 bedrooms. Our swimming pool and gym are available for all resident guests to enjoy ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire and Cancelon so you can book your De Vere Horwood Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Horwood House And Leisure Club Hotel Little Horwood
- Horwood Hotel And Leisure
- De Vere Horwood Estate Little Horwood, Buckinghamshire, UK