“Sunday roasts are back at the Shoulder”
Review of The Shoulder Of Mutton - CLOSED

The Shoulder Of Mutton
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 18, 2014

What can I say, beef, big Yorkies, super veg and REAL gravy! Great value for money at £8.95 for two courses. My Bread & Butter Pudding was so good, but I couldn't eat it all so I took the rest home in a 'doggy box' and warmed it up for tea!

There are newer reviews for The Shoulder Of Mutton

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

It's official, this unassuming pub served me the best burger I have ever eaten - and I know a good burger when I have one. Apart from the food the shoulder of mutton was very welcoming and looked great when kitted out for Halloween. We will be making the 75 mile round trip again for sure!

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed at Horwood house but didn't want to eat there so we had a drive round the area and spotted The Shoulder of Mutton. The building is absolutely lovely from the outside so we decided to have a look at the menu online while in our hotel and saw it had good reviews so we booked a table. When we arrived we were greeted by the barman who was very friendly. We didn't have to wait long to be served and the food came out promptly. It was also of excellent standard. I had fillet steak it was the tastiest peice of meat I'd ever eaten. My boyfriend had the gammon which he said was superb. The atmosphere was relaxed and cosy, just our cup of tea. the staff couldn't do enough for us. We will definitely be visiting again if we are in the area.

1  Thank misshollycl
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Me and my partner were staying at horwood house, after we were shown to our room, we decided we would go and explore.... Climbing over a stile we came across the shoulder. Walking in we didn't know what to expect but the locals and staff were so friendly and greeting. We had a lovely meal and drinks in the large beer garden. It was such a fantastic experience we plan to return next month

2  Thank Smutty94
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were visiting friends in Milton Keynes for the weekend and staying at Horwood House. We arrived early and our room wasn't ready so we opted to go out for a drive and have a bite of lunch while we waited. Not sure were to go we checked Trip Advisor and stopped in here as it was nearby.
Have to say wow! This place is a little slice of traditional heaven and catches you off guard
When we arrived we were welcomed with big smiles and a cheery greeting from the staff and a couple of locals which took us by surprise, can't remember the last time we were in such a friendly village.
It was a nice day so we opted for a drink in the garden while we looked at the menus, have to say we were only intending to have a light snack but the main menu was so tempting we caved and went the whole hog.
The staff were attentive and when we asked for five more minutes they asked if there was anything we would like explained about the menu which I have to say is rare these days.
I opted in the end for the lemon sole and my better half ordered 'The Jawbreaker' one of the home made burgers.
Again with the wow factor the burger when it arrived was colossal! oozing with juice and flavour and dripping with cheese and bbq sauce, accompanied by a side salad and lovely thick chips. ( I had to laugh as he sat there trying to work out if he really could manage to take a bite out of it without cutting it first!)
The sole was also lovely and light and the homemade sauce delicious with the prawns and new potatoes..
I'm not sure what I have come to expect of small country pubs over recent years but this one is certainly bucking the trend! and I can quite see why they are so well reviewed. It does what it says on the tin and at over 500 years old thats pretty impressive. Its obvious how passionate the landlady is about her food and family orientated service provided and having chatted to one of the waitresses the gradual restoration of this lovely old pub to its former glory.
The prices vary from basic pub to slightly more expensive but its worth it and there is something for everyone.
We will definitely be back and bringing our friends! Highly recommended for any age group.
P.S try the waffles they are yummy ;)

1  Thank jessica r