“Little gem in a great location”

Best Western Moore Place Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aspley Guise
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed here on a Saturday night on BW points. Our room was at the back of the hotel which was nice and quiet apart from two things. 1. The extractor from the next door restaurant is quite noisy but this was turned off at a reasonable time. 2. Another extractor came on at about 0530 which on a Sunday morning was a bit unnecessary. Apart from these two things the whole experience of the hotel was excellent.

Our room (39) was spotless and nicely decorated. The room was a little cold but turning up the radiator solved this problem. We had two nice touches in the room 1. The rubber duck in the bathroom was appreciated and 2. The mini decanter with whisky (complementary) made for an excellent night cap.

Breakfast was lovely with a full English being served along with a selection of fruit and cereals. Excellent attentive staff.

The bar was good with a nice comfy area to sit down and not overpriced.

We will try to return hopefully in June.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Des_Gruntled
Edward H, General Manager at Best Western Moore Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay. I am glad you found your stay a pleasant one and I will investigate the extractor fan noises. I will also pass on your good comments to the team regarding the service and I look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully, in June.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Well, what can I say! I stayed at this hotel yesterday for the reason of a murder mystery evening. The murder mystery was via a separate company and was superb. The murder mystery evening included a 3 course meal served by the hotel. I had acted as most people would knowing that they would be eating a 3 course meal and had a breakfast and lunch. I was amazed at the courses served to around 70 people. My starter was named as a goats cheese tart and had an cheese in the small tart case which amounted to the size of a frozen pea. The tart case I think was bought in and was solid and dry. Into this was 3 small pieces of vegetables and this crumb of goats cheese. Dry as a bone. Then the wait in between this small, dry terrible starter and the main course was far too long and when it came I was astounded. I had a normal main course size plate presented to me with an unbelievable lack of food on it. I have to stress that mine was not unique. All the meals around me were tiny. I counted my meal. There was one and a half small boiled potatoes (which had then been fried or roasted) with 2 lonely looking pieces of mange tout and just half a carrot. On top of this was 2 tiny fillets of red mullet. I was so amazed by the size of the meal that had been centralised on the plate and had been spread out that before eating a mouthful I pushed it all to the edge of the plate to see how much of the plate it covered. I then took pictures as I was soooo amazed. I will be posting the pictures to show. I would say it covered around 20% of the plate and i felt it futile to complain as I had the correct portion as everyone got the same. The belly pork square which my partner had was slightly bigger but came on this same ridiculous amount of veg and potatoes but had 2 tiny florets of cauliflower in addition. My mum had chicken and this offered slightly better value with it looking like a small full breast. The thin scrolls of butter on the table ran out before even half of us had any on our bread rolls. My mums pâté starter tasted lovely but the Melba toast it came with was burnt. My main course was made all the worse as one of my 3 tiny half boiled potatoes, which had been roasted, was burnt. Pudding for me was cheese and biscuits. 3 thin biscuits, 3 tiny bits of cheese of which 2 were Brie style and a white slice which was uninspiring and had more rind on it than cheese. I am talking one slice of cheese was no larger or fatter than my small finger. The accompaniments to the cheese were unreal. No chutney or sauces but it was served with a piece of spring onion HOWEVER the one 3inch piece of spring onion that was on my plate was the end piece that millions of people throughout the UK would throw in the bin. I have to say that the bits and tastes of some of the other things on the plates were ok, but were let down by incredibly small portions and lack of attention to detail. We retired to the bar and I had to buy a bag of kettle chips as I was starving. I ate my main course in around 2minutes. The guy from the couple next to me ate his quicker than that and he said that his fish had amazingly managed to be smaller than mine. I have to stress that I am a 4ft 11 female with a normal body frame and normal appetite so my poor boyfriend and most of the men eating there last night must have been really disappointed. In the bar we were able to relax and we drank until the early hours and the bar staff were great and at around 1am a couple also staying at the hotel came in the bar and sat talking to us about the wedding they had just attended and we told them about our fabulous murder mystery, I also just had to show them the pictures of my dinner and i said i couldnt wait for breakfast as i was so hungry still and they looked at each other and laughed and proceeded to tell us that they had eaten breakfast there that morning and that I shouldn't get my hopes up as they had received a plate that morning with a tiny piece of food with the woman describing half a piece of bacon and a spoonful of beans (she said 4 beans and we all laughed).. Long and short of it is that the hotel was an ok 3star hotel, bit tired and staff could have smiled more, the thin sheets (with snow falling outside) show a lack of understanding of what guests want but the food portioning leaves you less than satisfied so, although we wanted a nice breakfast as it was Mother's Day I couldn't stand to be disappointed and ruin the start to Mother's Day so we skipped spending £36 on their breakfast and went and filled up at a local breakfast place. This place obviously still think that the serving of tiny portions to guests is stil the trend and it is so not, and especially not in a 3 star Best Western. Why didnt we complain last night or this morning? Because....at no point did anyone care enough to ask if anything was wrong or ok and so we were not even given an opportunity to complain. I didnt want to leave my themed evening and miss anything or spoil my evening. as my portion was not unique i feel that this is their policy and in fairness all of that kitchen and staff serving these 70 or so meals knew exactly what they were producing. So basically we just want other people to be aware and make the hotel aware that all is not well with their portioning. they knew what they sent out to people, it wasnt a mistake. I would not recommend eating in this hotel, I was incredibly disappointed and this spoilt the evening and the plans to the beginning of my Mother's Day.

Room Tip: The rooms were nice. They put a tot of whiskey in the room which I thought was a lovely touch. Loo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Vanessa A

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay and attendance at the Murder Mystery event. I am sorry that the food did not live up to your expectations and I will take on board your comments.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I visited this hotel for 2 nights last weekend with my boyfriend just to get out of London and the hotel served it's purpose nicely! It's in a great location for local sites, we went to Woburn Safari Park nearby and loved it.

We booked through Laterooms.com so breakfast was included for cheaper than on their own site and it was delicious, lot of choices and the cooked breakfast was made to order so not just left out. Staff were really helpful and friendly, I thought the bed was fine but my boyfriend thought it was too hard and the pillows were a little tough. Be careful with the radiator, we were freezing when we got back one night so cranked it up and it turned into a sauna!

We didn't eat at the hotel for dinner as it was a bit pricey but can recommend The Anchor pub across the road that has a good selection of food (including great vegetarian ones!).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Edward H, General Manager at Best Western Moore Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of your recent stay at Moore Place and I am glad that your stay was relaxing and enjoyable. I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team and I do hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

My stay was relaxing. It was nice to be me for a change and not at the beck and call of others. The hotel was lovely and the location in a small rural village not far from the M1. The staff are friendly and very helpful. It was nice to be the guest and see how other Best Western Hotels measured up!

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us at Moore Place. I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team and I do hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have visited this hotel on several occasions and this time found it to be excellent.
It is a very good location for many interesting trips, such as Bletchley Park, Florence Nightingale's house, and many other museums and shopping.
The hotel itself has been refurbished and is of a new, high specification.
Tea and coffee facilities in the room which is good.
Also a small decanter of whisky to finish off the evening !
The dinner which we had was superb...very delicious and ample portions.
The wine list is well balanced and reasonably priced...we had a very nice bottle of Chilean Merlot which was excellent. We will certainly return and have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: We had room 26 which had french doors which overlooked the pond & was on the ground floor Very s...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Edward H, General Manager at Best Western Moore Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I am pleased that you found your stay a pleasant one and thank you for your lovely comments which I will ensure are passed on to the team. I look forward to welcoming you back to Moore Place in the future.

Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Business trip with 3 colleagues. It's 5:00am and I've been awoken 2 nights running from 4:45 with a random beep in the corridor. 45 mins later and it's stopped. Yippee! The room is very warm - we've all 'complained' about trying to regulate the heat. No thermostat. Radiator makes noise like someone upstairs is running a bath. Room is clean. Bed is okay but pillows are like bricks. The restaurant was fine - food quite good - friends enjoyed the sea bass - my steak was a bit dry for med/rare. The staff were okay - not always around. Definitely more of a business hotel than a leisure hotel (mid-week anyway) as good location near Milton Keynes. Lovely little village; very picturesque.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Heath17Lear
Edward H, General Manager at Best Western Moore Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us at Moore Place Hotel and I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectation on this occasion. I will ensure that the points you raise are dealt with to ensure we continue to drive guest satisfaction levels upwards and I do hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed at the hotel on 26/01/13 with another couple of friends.
The hotel and the staff were wonderful.
Our room was very nicely decorated and the furnishings lovely. The bed was very comfy and our room was quiet. Our bathroom was huge and I loved the rubber duck on the side of the bath, a great touch.
As was the nightcap for two in the bedroom.
We would definately return.
The food looked great, but we did not dine in the hotel, as we were already dining elsewhere.
Did not use the fitness facilities either.

Room Tip: Room 14 was at the side if the hotel and there was no road or corridor noise. Huge bathroom with bat...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Susan B
Edward H, General Manager at Best Western Moore Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Thank you very much for your review of your stay at Moore place Hotel and I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again and hopefully you will be able to dine with us on your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aspley Guise
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes
Best Western Milton Keynes Hotel
Best Western Milton Keynes Hotel
#21 of 35 in Milton Keynes

Been to Best Western Moore Place Hotel? Share your experiences!