“The Ultimate Hostal Experience”
Review of Hostal La Qhia

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Hostal La Qhia
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I'm going to give La Qhia credit for a wonderful week. The people we met there have stayed in touch with us as friends because of the socializing, the hikes, and the odd bottle of wine shared in the evening.

The main building has a fun rustic bamboo design, and sleeping hammocks on the large balcony. Everything seemed quite comfortable, even the shared bathroom was fine. Not the Hilton, but we hate the Hilton.

A wide variety of hikes and day trips are available.

The breakfast they served was very nice. The shared kitchen facilities were perhaps the only downfall of the place. Too small and ill-equipped for this many guests. But we all worked together and it was OK.

The manager gave us lots of information and was very helpful and hospitable.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff W

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I headed to Santa Fe on a friend's suggestion from Boquete with no reservation. I found my way to La Qhia to find myself nearly alone in the entire hostel! My second day there, several new people arrived and we all ended up becoming very close friends during our stay and one girl and I ended up traveling together for a couple weeks afterwards. So given that and the fact that I fully believe "the people make the place", my review may be biased. =)

However, this hostel is beautiful! The garden area is so extremely serene and such a great place to have a "hammock day". Or two.

The hostel is pretty well located up the hill from the main supermarket in town, which isn't saying much. Also just a 10 minute walk from the coopertiva to find your fresh fruits & veggies.

The couple who manage the hostel were both extremely friendly and helpful when asking about the trails.

One mark I have to give the hostel is that their booklet describing the local trails is pretty lacking. The descriptions are sometimes completely incorrect and contradictory. Make sure you ask around a bit before attempting some of the longer hikes just to make sure you're going the right direction. =)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The hostal is set in a perfect garden with an incredible visit of the mountains. There are no screnes on the windows and the breeze is constant. Santa Fe is in the mountains and there are really no bugs. The rooms are basic, but there is hot water. The people who run the hostal are very warm and welcoming and provide great information.

Room Tip: I had a room that had windows onto the balcony and that had an incredible view of the mountains.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Clean comfortable, well constructed and well designed rooms, lovely garden, central location, very nice breakfasts, warm host and lovely staff. Rates are very comfy as well. Very nice shared kitchen facilities. lots of local info and tips. One of the best accomodations on our Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua trip. Only thing missing was a wireless internet connection for guest use. This place gets a hearty two thumbs up for simple, superior value accomodations.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed three nights at Hostal La Qhia and might have enjoyed a few more if time considerations hadn't pulled me onward. Firstly, it is in a wonderful, quiet part of Panama, not heavily touristed, but still welcoming of tourists. If you need all the bells and whistles than Santa Fe may not be for you, but if you like a scenic hike through the low mountains and cloud forest of the area with relaxing nights in a cool, comfortable climate than perhaps this area is for you. And if it is, it's pretty likely that the simple pleasures of Hostal La Qhia are also for you. Good, simple food, strong local coffee, beautiful garden setting (perfect for a day in the hammock with a book if it rains), friendly and helpful staff and proximity to hiking trails are what you can expect from Hostal La Qhia. And all at reasonable prices. It's about a block up the hill from the market and restaurant run by the local cooperative so you can get simple food to cook in La Qhia's kitchen if you are inclined. All in all one of my favorite places I stayed in Panama. The trails are better around Boquette and Cerro Punta, but I enjoyed my stay at Santa Fe better than those two places. Despite indications, I stayed here in March of 2012. The weather was a bit rainy but never an all day washout. At least got a bit of hiking in every day I was there.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This hostal is situated on beautifully maintained grounds with a nice view of surrounding mountains. The building construction is unusual with fairly thin walls which could be a problem with noisy neighbors. Our private room was very roomy and the shared bath across the hall was clean and had hot water. The staff was very friendly and the optional breakfast delicious! There is a nice covered patio/community kitchen area that has tables and hammocks. We loved the small laid back town of Santa Fe and Hostal La Quia a great experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Seems that this place attracts very nice and friendly people, both visitors and staff. It lies off the very main tourist routes and I would only go if you like nature. It is not a party place, actually the gate was usually closed around 9-10pm. The owners prepared detailed and fun to follow hiking maps for the area and I would more than recommend to try their trails (the waterfalls and the swimming hole are both nice). I also had 1-on-1 Spanish lessons arranged via the hostel with Ana Loreto who I can only recommend. Ana Loreto was great and knowledgeable, originally from Chile, having Spanish boyfriend and years of Spanish teaching experience from US (California I think). For what reason she ended up in a remote place in the middle of Panamanian Jungle, I did not find out. The fruit market in the town is great and cheap. But be prepared that this is not a tourist spot (most restaurants are opened only early in the evening, and even closed on Monday and Tuesday). But that can change rapidly with the amount of expat retirees looking for places like this, it can soon become another US enclave like Boquette or El Valle.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends