“Good Hotel, Bad Service”

Royal Orchid Central Kireeti
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Hospet
Reviewed March 24, 2014

After a long, hot day looking at the ruins in Hampi my wife and I checked in to the hotel as it is a short distance from the railway station and we were catching an early morning train to Mumbai the following morning. Our room was on the third floor but after pressing the correct button we were informed that you had to press the button for the fourth floor ? The room was great with updated decor, a bathroom behind a glass panel showing a stand alone bath ( centre taps) and toilet and shower also behind glass doors. The remotely operated large curtains and sun blinds provided sensible additions to what appeared to be a recently refurbished room.Owing to the heat we made for the swimming pool and enjoyed sole use for the time spent there. Lunch was a light snack,acceptable and good value. It did seem that the young staff did not know the concept of customer service as there were at least four in attendance but the meal ordering and serving was tardy, and this was when we were the only people in the restaurant. In the absence of a suitable alternative we dined in the restaurant which, when we sat down had six tables occupied. Again a large number of staff, some talking around the cash desk and slow service. The order was taken and we waited for the meal. When it arrived we were pleasantly surprised at the quality and quantity. Too much rice however, for two people. Leaving at 5.30am we went to the hotel reception as we were to be charged for the evening meal which we had booked before flying to India as part of the half board package. The desk clerk informed us that the meal was not included in the price which seemed strange when there were two offers available for the price. One with and one without the evening meal. Who would choose just B & B when you can have an evening meal as well. Sadly, he would not be swayed even though we said that if we had eaten a non standard meal we would be happy to pay the difference. I asked to speak to the Manger but he was not in the building and the clerk was unable to make a customer service decision. Judging by a review by "Traveldevsa" this has happened before. We have yet to contact Booking.com to complain and I very much doubt a satisfactory conclusion. We even took with us the paperwork confirming the booking. I did ask for a takeaway breakfast for the morning and this was duly waiting for us when we checked out the following morning. It was a disappointment that what appeared to be a good hotel was let down by the inability of staff to use their judgement when a customer service issue surfaced. my wife and I are in the hospitality trade and the first thing you do is to meet the customers' expectations to the best of your ability. Sadly, this did not happen.

Room Tip: Choose a room inward facing at a higher level to avoid street noise. Take your paperwork with you an...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
ROC-Kireeti, General Manager at Royal Orchid Central Kireeti, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear Mr. Martin

Greetings from Royal Orchid Central Kireeti!!

Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor. Your encouraging word for the hotel is indeed a pleasure for us at the same time I am most concerned to learn your displeasure towards our hotel Reservations and food and beverage service team.

It is with great concern that we have noted the issues put forward by you in your review. It seems that we were unable to deliver our usual high standards of service, please accept the apologies from me and my team for the same.

We have taken note of all the issues put forward by you . I can assure you that the same is being looked into.

Guest feedback and suggestions help us to better our services and provide exceptional guest experiences. We do hope that you will choose to visit Royal Orchid Central Kireeti in the near future to see the improvements brought about by your constructive feedback.

Look forward to have another opportunity to welcome you and your guest at our hotel.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

My husband, myself, and another couple, stayed two nights at the Royal Orchid. The hotel has the potential to be a 4 star hotel but at the moment needs, like some other reviewers expressed, attention to detail. I would say that it needs, tender loving care and some refurbishing. Our rooms and bathrooms, were a little tired.
It looks like they have some suites, and some newer rooms, in the newer main building but I believe that these would not be very quiet as the restaurant is in the middle of them all. The swimming pool was nice and very refreshing.
We had the evening buffet both nights. The first evening some of the food was not kept warm and some of the dishes were just okay. The second evening, the food was much better. The price was reasonable.
The breakfast was adequate but nothing special. I believe that the hotel could be better if the staff received more training. We asked for "honey" several times and after we had finished eating, finally, they ended up putting some on the buffet breakfast area. Definitely, the hotel has lots of room for improvement!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
ROC-Kireeti, General Manager at Royal Orchid Central Kireeti, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2014

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Royal Orchid Central Kireeti , Hospet.

Thank you for taking time to write this review and your feedback.

Guest feedback and suggestions help us to better our services and provide exceptional guest experiences. I have taken your suggestions very positively and will really work on that.
We do hope that you will choose to visit Royal Orchid Central Kireeti in the near future to see the improvements brought about by your constructive feedback..

Thank you again for your review. We look forward to welcoming you at Royal Orchid Central Kireeti .

Warm regards,

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Full value for money. Great rooms, large, spacious and clean. Courteous staff, very helpful and quite responsive catering to atypical requests as well. Children friendly hotel - railings in front of the rooms covered with glass, broad steps and most importantly the staff keep a sharp lookout.
food though needs a big improvement. The buffet was mediocre, the meat was not cooked properly on both days I stayed and didn't taste too well.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
ROC-Kireeti, General Manager at Royal Orchid Central Kireeti, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Greetings from Royal Orchid Central Kireeti – Hospet!!!
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor further to your experience at The Royal Orchid Central Kireeti.
It was a pleasure having you stay with us. Your words of appreciation for our hotel will be a great help for other travellers to choose our hotel..

I have taken your feedback for the food very seriously and assure you that such mistake will not be repeated again.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Orchid Central Kireeti.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I had booked half board with Booking.com for this hotel, but they told me when I arrived that they only ever offer Bed and Breakfast with Booking.com, so my dinner would not be included - this was no major issue, as I knew I could resolve this with Booking.com. The room was great for the price, it was spacious and the air-conditioning worked really well. The pool was a good size and had some good music playing.
I went for lunch and there was one other couple eating and 3 waiters. They sat me down and I ordered a drink. Right away the waiter went to get it, but then put the drink down on a counter and proceed to talk to the other waiters. After about 5 minutes I decided to remind him about the drink, and he brought it over. Only then could I place my food order. The food was ok, not great.
Later in the evening after returning from Hampi, I discovered the hot water is not very hot - more like lukewarm. There was a power cut and everything went dark for around 30 seconds. About 45 minutes later another one, but this lasted around 2 minutes. The room can be very dark when this happens, and I was surprised the backup generators took so long to start up.
The dinner was also very poor - once again had to remind waiters to take my order. The Rogan Josh had the toughest meat - certainly the worst meal I have had in India.
My room was also separated by a door to another room. I did not mind this as the door was locked, however when the people staying next door got back from wherever they had been, they were very loud and I could hear everything. The door does not block any sound and they seemed to speak for hours.
But the worst part was when I contacted Booking.com about this, they contacted the hotel who changed their minds and said they do actually offer half board, but that I had ordered the wrong meals to be included with half board. Its fair enough if you have a different menu for when half board is included, but they had told me my dinner was not included and they did not tell me there was a different menu if you were staying half board.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here - choose one without an adjoining door.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank traveldevsa

Greetings from Royal Orchid Central Kireeti – Hospet!!!

Thank you for taking time to write this review.

Please accept the apologies from me and my team for not being able to deliver the services as per our standard.
We have taken note of all the issues put forward by you and have brought them to the notice of the concerned departmental heads. I can assure you that the same is being looked into.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

They treat you very well here.. Excellent English Breakfast to begin the day. Hampi is near by and 1 day at Hampi is good enough. The staff and the environment is good. The atmosphere is breezy and some rooms have field view. The rooms are spacious enough and 5 star categorized..

Good experience.

Room Tip: field view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Royal Orchid Central Kireeti – Hospet !!!

Thank you very much for patronizing Royal Orchid Central Kireeti during your recent visit to Hospet and also for sparing time to share your valuable comments on Tripadvisor.

It was indeed a pleasure for all of us to have you with us .
Thanks a lot for your encouraging words for the hotel and the team.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Our first impression of this hotel was very good. We did have a few problems with the shower room but they were speedily resolved. We enjoyed the food both at the buffet breakfast and the evening one which was reasonably priced. The drinks were fairly expensive but you can ask for hotel filtered water which is complimentary. The swimming pool was pleasant but the changing rooms were not very clean and the seats on the Swim Up Bar( not in use) had seen better days! However it was a good place to relax after a long train journey one day and a busy day sightseeing at Hampi the following day.

Room Tip: High rooms are quieter and you get a better view!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TrueBrit_10
ROC-Kireeti, General Manager at Royal Orchid Central Kireeti, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Greetings from Royal Orchid Central Kireeti – Hospet!!!

Thanks for sharing your feedback.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Orchid Central Kireeti soon.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

The hotel is very good. Food is good. Breakfast buffet was okay, can definitely be better. Its an excellent option for people visiting Hampi given its proximity to the Railway station. Service is good. Swimming pool is clean and staffs were friendly and helpful. Stayed there for ~3k per night(including buffet breakfast).

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Srivatsan_002
ROC-Kireeti, General Manager at Royal Orchid Central Kireeti, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Sanjay Jha

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hospet
Hyatt Place Hampi
#1 of 6 in Hampi
Hotel Malligi
Hotel Malligi
#1 of 7 in Hospet
Shivavilas Palace, HAMPI (An ITC WelcomHeritage Hotel)
Evolve Back, Hampi
Evolve Back, Hampi
#1 of 1 in Kamalapur

Been to Royal Orchid Central Kireeti? Share your experiences!