“Cleanest, Cheapest, friendliest in Pontorson” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel De La Tour Brette

Hotel De La Tour Brette
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Pontorson
“Cleanest, Cheapest, friendliest in Pontorson”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed here while backpacking through northern France. Staff very friendly and welcoming. Rooms all very clean, no bugs of any kind. Cheapest in Pontorson that we could find. 2 beds in 1 room was €26 with breakfast added €6.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

So a buddy and I head up to Pontorson to see Mont Saint Michel, but since it was not high tourist season, we did not get a hotel lined up before we went. After looking at the list from the tourism information center, we decided to check this one out, as it looked to be the cheapest hotel out of the three that advertised internet. We got there and this extremely friendly older woman greeted us with a huge smile, and was able to communicate in English with us well enough. I asked if she had a room with 2 beds available. She said "Yes!" I asked about WiFi, she said "yes!" She turned around, grabbed the key and said "this will get you into the front door, and into your room." I looked at my buddy and then asked her, "could we see the room first?" She led us to the room. It was small. If you were to line up European-sized, single beds side by side, I think you could perhaps fit 5 of them in that room, with about 5 feet of space to walk at the foot of the bed. So not a huge room. The bedding was not brand new, but it was absolutely clean, as were the towels. The bathroom was clean, and the shower worked just fine. I asked her how much for one night? To which she replied "39 EUR." I looked and my buddy, and said "we'll take it!" I got 3 "bars" of WiFi service on my smart phone when I had it sitting on the floor, but I barely had signal when I raised it 18 inches and set it on the bed. We certainly made it work for what little internet use we needed, but if you plan to sit in the room and use the internet to do a lot of work, don't count on the internet to work well.

So the room was small, simple, and clean. EXACTLY what we were looking for. If you are looking for a fancy type of room with a bunch of amenities, you will disappointed. But this was an amazing deal, and the older couple that I believe ran/owned the place just made the experience so much more enjoyable than staying at a chain, budget place. Don't let the 2 star rating lead you to think it is dirty or in any other way not up to par.

As good of a deal that this was, the best decision we made with regards to this hotel was to eat dinner at the restaurant. The 15 EUR bottle(s) of Bordeaux were an amazing deal, and much better than any 30 EUR bottle I've ordered in Paris. My buddy and I each did the 4 course meal. I went with the mussels for the first course; it was such a HUGE portion, that I wouldn't have even needed the other 3 courses. Also, the woman that helped us check in saw how I using my fingers and fork to eat the mussels, came over and showed me how to use an empty shell to wedge open another one, and use the empty shell as a tongs to grab the mussel and eat it. Absolutely personable charm! I had the veal with mushroom sauce, and it was amazing. The cheese tray was also great. A younger woman brought out this plate of 5 cheeses, and we each tried a little of each one. The woman did not speak fluent English, but was able to convey which cheeses were from Normandy, and that the one of them was made from goat's milk. The apple pie dessert was also very good. For 25 EUR each, we could NOT have asked for a better meal.

Overall, the room was small, but clean, comfortable and functional, and the restaurant was just amazing. The value was great, but I think the friendly staff is responsible for the positive feelings I associate with Hotel De La Tour Brette.

I highly recommend this place for a budget conscious traveler looking to experience culture, and not just a 5 star American chain hotel.

Room Tip: You never know if Europe if the room will have 2 single beds, or a double bed, so make sure you chec...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank billschramm58
Abingdon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

At 84 euros per night per couple for demi-pension this is a real bargain. The breakfast is simple but good, with lovely fresh croissants. The choice for the 3 - 4 course dinner is varied but good and, for the supplement of 3 euros, the salt-marsh lamb chops are delicious; a slight downer is that main courses tend to come with chips-with-everything - but very good chips. Avoid the formal wine list but go, instead, for the very drinkable well-priced house wine in 25 cl or 50 cl carafes.
Our room was tiny but OK - ask for room No 1 which is far bigger and better laid out.
But, overall, given its position and the friendliness of the staff, our three nights there were most enjoyable.

Room Tip: go for the larger Room No 1 - others on the 1st floor are cramped
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I couldn't believe how inexpensive the room was here ... only 62 Euro, which included breakfast for both of us. The hotel is definitely older, with a little bit of a yesteryear feel to it, but in a weird way, that was part of its charm. If you get your panties in a bunch over a place not having the latest and greatest decor, then this place isn't for you. It could definitely use an update in that way, but we aren't persnickety about that type of thing, but rather look more for cleanliness and function, which this little place rates well in both. Like most of the budget hotels we choose to stay at, the bathroom was small but well-equipped. What I loved most was the friendly innkeeper ... not sure if she owns the place or if she just works there ... but she was an older lady with a great personality, spoke little English, but we managed to understand each other enough to get by and enjoyed the exchange with her. The only downfall was that we never could get their wi-fi to work on our iPhones or iPad, but that's also small potatoes. Most definitely a no-frills little place, but an excellent value and definitely worth an excellent rating.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Latourbrette, Propriétaire at Hotel De La Tour Brette, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for your very agreable rating.
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay.
Best regards and hello from all the staff.
Hôtel la Tour Brette - Pontorson - France
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontorson
BEST WESTERN Hotel Montgomery
#1 of 3 in Roz-sur-Couesnon
Hotel Gabriel
Hotel Gabriel
#1 of 16 in Mont-Saint-Michel

Been to Hotel De La Tour Brette? Share your experiences!