“Service with a smile”

The Pied Calf
Ranked #25 of 122 Restaurants in Spalding
Cuisines: Pub
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We visited Spalding with our daughter earlier today and called in for a meal. Food was well cooked except for my wife's medium rare steak which unfortunately was too well cooked (overdone). Bringing this to the attention of the staff, they immediately apologised and took it away to replace it with a properly medium rare steak. The chef then came round a couple of minutes later to apologise as well and to ensure that it was as expected which it was, and very tasty as well. Then a few minutes later he brought round a big piece of chocolate fudge cake for us to share while my wife ate her steak. All this was done with good grace - other restaurants should take note. Definitely a place to return to in the future.

3  Thank TheGoatherd

Reviewed April 15, 2012

This is a fantastic little bar and eaterie. The staff are very pleasant and friendly and the food is excellent. My wife ordered the Haddock and Chips which was huge and cooked to perfection, I had the Rump Steak cooked exactly as ordered, not always the case in many high class restaurants! We went in on a Saturday evening and managed to get seated easily and did not have to wait long for the food which incidentally is home cooked and well presented. Fantastic value for money and would highly recommend it to anyone. Guiness is good too!

2  Thank 041014a
Reviewed April 15, 2012

What a pleasant surprise this place was. We were looking for somewhere to eat in Spalding and without wanting to sound snobbish this was no easy task as many of the pubs & clubs were fronted by some intimidating, shouty & smoking gentlemen or by signs of lap dancing!
I had haddock and chips which was absolutely huge (almost too big for the plate) served with peas, tartare sauce and the most delicious non greasy chips I have tasted in ages! My husband (who I will add is very, very fussy about his steak) had steak and was very impressed! The decor looks a tad tired but the staff more than made up: they were a great example of good customer service which is sadly lacking in many British eateries! Great main courses for around £6.99 cannot be bettered for value; there was no need for another course. Well deserving of 5 stars in my opinion.

3  Thank P R
Reviewed October 28, 2009

Well worth the money with the added benefit of great service

3  Thank SwarveHunter
Reviewed October 26, 2009

We went in here for lunch whilst out in Spalding. We hadn't heard anything about it and went in on the off chance. We were very pleasantly surprised by not only the food, but the staff. They were lovely and friendly and had a lovely chat with us about the town. The food was very worth the amount that you paid for it, and the menu had a lot of variety. If we're ever again in Spalding, we'd definately go here!

1  Thank Twiggylegs