“Wonderful meal! Excellent price!”
Review of Cley Hall Hotel

Cley Hall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 15 Spalding B&B and Inns
Spalding, United Kingdom
“Wonderful meal! Excellent price!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I recently took my mother to Cley Hall for lunch as a Mother's Day treat. I was pleasantly surprised by the menu and of course the price! We opted for a set price two course meal which had an excellent selection. I chose a smoked salmon risotto followed by profiteroles, both of which were superbly presented. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Me and my mother were both very happy with our meals and the service we received and will be returning again in the very near future.

I would definitely recommend the Cley Hall to anyone looking for a quality lunch at an extremely reasonable price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LoopyClue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

If you want to take your time eat dinner and enjoy the company here is a great place. The opening times are ridiculous though. And we have been for after meal caps at eleven and the bar is already shut.

• Stayed October 2012
David S, Owner at Cley Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for the positive review regarding your recent meal. We will also review the license times although Mon - Friday and Sunday our bar is licensed until 11.00pm and Saturday until 12.00pm.
JoffandSarah
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We used to stay at this hotel some years ago, before the present new owners, however in this instance, change is not such a good thing.

The general staff, were whilst limited in number, genuinely helpful, however they all seemed like they were walking on egg shells and about to be screamed at. My wife thought they looked like nervous puppies, which lends a very uncomfortable, awkward air to the place.

The decor is sadly the most obvious worst aspect though, and is all too reminiscent of one of those awfully amateur decorating shows that masquerade as entertainment these days, and where one can only laugh, but always sympathetically, at the outcome. Well at Cley Hall, you will have to sleep in the naive mess as well.

Talking about sleep, that is another problem. There seemed to be so many strange noises coming from the plumbing, that we were woken numerous times. Add to that a coldish room, poor Wifi, poor bathroom, and poor food, which is surprising as so many restaurants are good in Spalding, and it does not add up to much.

Don't get me wrong though, Cley Hall is not by any means the worst hotel ever, and if one's standards are low to low medium, and one does not mind paying over the local odds, it is not the worst last resort.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
8 Thank JoffandSarah
David S, Owner at Cley Hall Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
How rude.
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Wow! I wanted to take my mum for lunch for a birthday treat and the Cley Hall offer a 3 course lunch for only £12.95. I only had 2 courses for £9.95 as I was stuffed but I can't recommend this fixed price deal highly enough. The service is impeccable, the food delicious and all in beautiful surroundings. For a starter I had mozzarella and tomato salad which is one of my favourites anyway and was delicious but mum chose the garlic mushrooms which were served in pastry and looked divine. I always want the dish my fellow guest orders! For main course we both chose the baked salmon with a Parmesan crust which was divine. Served with buttered new potatoes and perfect fresh vegetables it really hit the spot. Mum followed this with a chocolate chip meringue which she tells me was fabulous (she didn't even offer me a morsel to taste but it was her birthday treat)
In my humble opinion I honestly don't think there is anywhere else in the town where you could get better value for your money at lunchtime. It felt like a real treat without breaking the bank and I'll definitely be back before too long

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
David S, Owner at Cley Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your positive review. We have recently introduced the fixed price menu Monday to Saturday 12.00 to 2.00 which is proving very popular. We hope to see you again soon.
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This was our first stay here and we were very impressed. We were welcomed by friendly staff and shown straight to our room. Our family room was extremely spacious and tastefully furnished. We had a very comfortable nights sleep in a larger than large bed. We dined in the restaurant and were not disappointed. The chef was very accommodating for our younger diner and the food was delicious, especially the warm home-baked bread. Breakfast was also perfect and there was lots of choice. Overall we would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
David S, Owner at Cley Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive feedback. This is really important to us as we have spent the last 12 months investing in the property, restaurant and staff training which is hopefully having a positive impact. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Sussex
Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

We returned for a 4 night stay leading up to the New Year to be with friends and family. Staying in room 4, we were very pleased with the size of the room with its view of the garden. The bed was huge and the linen lovely. I had forgotten my shampoo and body wash, so it was a pleasant surprise to find it provided in the bathroom. The welcome from the staff was lovely and the full English breakfast amazing, cooked exactly how I wanted it. We used the wifi and had no problems. It gets better and better. Thanks very much.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
David S, Owner at Cley Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback. We have invested substantially inthe fabric, the staff and the restaurant over the past 12 months and I am pleased that guests are noticing the changes. We hope to welcome you again in the future.
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Have stayed on business a number of times. Charming reception rooms and friendly staff. No wifi and staff unable to put through an international phone call to my room. It was a very cold day and unfortunately bedroom was cold in the annexe and whilst heating was turned up in the block no staff felt able to bleed radiator in my bedroom. The blinds in the bedroom did not fall properly and the pelmet was coming off. The reception rooms would benefit from a fire. I would like to have seen some lighter meals on the menu. The owner did not return my phone call. So, disappointed with the service on this occasion.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JReview_13
David S, Owner at Cley Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you were disappointed. With regards to the call back I did in fact leave two messages on your phone and am unsure what happened to these. We do have lighter options on the menu for example fish, pasta, risotto. Many people choose to have starters as main courses and of course if people ask we try and accommodate if we can. I am sorry about the pelmet and have spoken with housekeeping to ensure that maitenance issues are reported dealt with. each day which is our standard. The heating, it was a very cold day when you stayed and if you had mentioned that you were cold at the time we could have provided an additinal heater. Once again thank you for your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spalding
Woodlands Hotel
The White Hart Hotel, Eatery & Coffee House
Woodhouse Farm Lodge
Woodhouse Farm Lodge
#1 of 15 in Spalding

Been to Cley Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!