“Cheap and good pub grub”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Cuisines: Pub, Grill
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Old Country pub with low rustic beams and wood burners. Catering for families and groups with tables and seating in the main bar as well as a cozy snug area and seperate dining room. We pride ourselves on the quality of our real ales along with keg beers and lagers on draught. Tea and fresh ground coffee is available at all times. We only sell established branded spirits along with a selection of single malt whiskeys and a selection of quality wines by the glass or bottle. We are exceptionally proud of our head chef, Courteney, who insists on cooking all dishes to order which are made and prepared in house from fresh ingredients. Booking in advance is advisable as there may be a wait for your meal during busy periods.
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I went with my wife and parents on New Years Eve. There was the standard menu on and I was happy with the food and what we paid. The prices and reasonable and the food good enough, service was fine. It is no frills and it does what it says on the tin. 3 courses each and it came to just over £60.00. The new chef is keen and the menu will be changing in the next few weeks so for those who have complained in the past, I would recommend giving it another chance.

Redliondalton, Owner at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Thanks for your comments, we have now changed the menu which still offers "pub grub" but I would hope is now a little more attractive. Courtney our new Chef is proud of his work and provides some more up market fare, alongside the regular menu, on the daily specials board. Thank you once again for your review and I am glad you enjoyed your meal.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Having previously had an outstanding experience here, I happily came for a special birthday party. The food was disgusting, truly awful, and to be honest, probably contravened several food standards as well as not being served what was described on the menu.
I now understand that the previous chef has now returned. The damage has been done. I will never eat here again.I have spent some time considering whether to post this, but having spoken to many others with similar experiences, I have removed my earlier rave review in lieu of this.

1  Thank John_B_034
Redliondalton, Owner at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

I am disapointed that you had such a negative experience. Our new chef has recently joined us and verble feedback from customers has been very favourable. Please try our new menu and if your experience is a repeat of your last and I will happily waiver the bill.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

if you like a good local village pub with plenty of atmosphere and local gossip this is the place to try. good local real ales with a blackboard advertising whats coming next.

Thank you for the review of the pub. I notice that this is a second review of The Red Lion you have submitted on the same day? which is also clear contrast to your first review. I am pleased you enjoy our real ales, we take pride in managing our cellar well to provide good regionally brewed ale in perfect condition.
Thanks again for your comments all feed back, positive or negative, is very welcome.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

not really a restauranty pub, more suited to real ale and cozy corners. this is a typical village boozer who are now trying to compete with the Brown Cow and chequers just down the road. i was there on thursday night and they have spent some money making a dining area, and are advertising the return of Gino? one problem on thursday was the indoor water feature as you enter the dining area, a metal bucket and a leaky roof!

1  Thank andy m

Thank you for the first of two reviews you have submitted on the same day.
To address your comments, I am not trying to compete with either the Brown Cow or Chequers. The Brown Cow is well established and has a good reputation for providing traditional food in large volumes served in noticeably large portions. Chequers is a medium sized hotel catering for the business traveller and tourists alike and provides an attractive and interesting venue for christenings, weddings etc.
I have neither the space nor the inclination to compete with either, but aim to provide individually prepared traditional high quality food at a smaller venue as an alternative.. I would recommend either The Brown Cow or Chequers as they are both fine estabilishments, but I would not pretend to be able to offer functions or parties that could match the size of their facilities. I will emphasise that we aim to provide an atmosphere, as you as you have described in your second review, that is in keeping with a small traditional pub with a separate small dining area that seats 30 people.
Gino was a previous Chef who had built a good reputation at The Red Lion, which was years before I took over and returned briefly but had to retire due to health reasons. The water feature however was due to a leaking roof which has since been replaced and as you can imagine on a building that is approximately 350 years old will no doubt not be the last area that requires attention.
I am not sure if you enjoyed your meal from the reviews you have submitted, but I am glad that you like The Red Lion as a pub and hope that in time you would consider us as a venue to eat as an alternative in Dalton.
Thanks once again for taking the time to provide some feed back.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

At the end of our holiday we were looking for somewhere to have fish and chips by the seaside and couldn't find anywhere, so we drove into Dalton-in-furness and found the Red Lion. As we walked in we were not sure as we entered a dark and dingy room and it was empty, however we were so hungry we decided to stay, the bar maid asked us how many of us there were and showed us through to another room. This was a very pleasant surprise as it was the dining room which was all lyed up beautifully and quite busy too. The waitress quickly moved two tables together for us. We ordered our food and although there was aslight delay due to power issues in the kitchen, the waitress was charming, apolagetic and kept us informed. When the food came we couldn't believe our eyes, the portions were more than generous and the food was to die for. We all really enjoyed our food and the whole experience, and when the bill came we were amazed at how little it was. It was definately value for money I would definately go back there if i'm ever in the area.

Redliondalton, Owner at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Thanks for your kind comments and I am so glad that you enjoyed your holiday and that we played a small part in making your trip to the South Lake District a good one. Thanks once again and please do visit again in the future, we are very lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the Country and always try to make visitors feel welcome.