“Favourite Animal Experience (to date)”
Review of Safari Zoo

Safari Zoo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Explore, Discover, Adventure, South Lakes Safari Zoo. From the Swahili word meaning journey or expedition SAFARI ZOO is a unique journey into the animal kingdom. Come face to face with and discover Rhinos, Lions, Tigers, Bears, Hippos, Wolves, Snow leopards, Jaguar, Giant otters, Primates, Vultures, Penguins and much, much more at the UK's most interactive animal park and Europe’s only Safari Zoo.. You’ll have a fantastic adventure immersed with some of the rarest wildest animals on the planet. HEAR. TOUCH. SMELL. SEE feed your senses and the animals too - Hand feed giraffes every day, walk in amongst and hand feed penguins; wander amongst and discover kangaroo, lemurs, monkeys, free flying birds – including (for the brave) vultures and condors all living wild in the park. Daily interactive animal keeper led talks and animal feedings.
Manchester, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Favourite Animal Experience (to date)”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I think this is by far the best zoo I have visited. We've been as a family twice, the first time was using Tesco Clubcard vouchers and we paid the second time (approx £40 for family of 4 ticket). It's not the biggest, but it's large enough and immediately you walk in, you have animals surrounding you. Most of the Limas aren't in cages and are sat around on walls, etc. ducks, geese and other birds are walking about. The staff have feeding/information times for certain animals where one of the staff gives a brief talk about the chosen animal whilst it's being fed and with some animals you can feed them too, i.e. feeding the giraffes from a gangway which protrudes into the enclosure and actually getting in the penguin enclosure to feed the birds by hand. We loved every minute. We were one of the last to leave in the afternoon and as we had one last walk towards the wallaby section before we left, I actually felt like I was in some kind of Disney movie - as it had quietened down, a lot of the animal were out and about, ground squirrels popping their heads out of holes, a family of ducks walking past and a bunch of other cute critters all going about their business around you - it was idyllic, the children (5 & 6 years) were enraptured! There is also a little train to take you around. The only downside for me was the price of the food in the cafe, it was too expensive for what you actually got for your money and the choice was a little limited (the usual burgers, fish fingers and jacket potatoes, etc.) we took sandwiches the second visit and just bought snacks, which are expensive too but I am assuming the profit helps towards running costs so I didn't want to be too thrifty.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank Sara J

• Polish first
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“A great little Zoo”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

This Zoo was recommended to my by a friend who has been a few time, We had a brilliant time this is not like most other Zoo's in the UK its not jammed with stone block of cage after cage of animals, a large percentage of the animals rome free around sections of the Zoo this is such a refreshing take on a Zoo you turn a corner and huge 6ft Emu is inches in front of you, or Lemurs are running past you on the fence my children had the best time.

I have read on here that some of keepers get a little shirty with regard to touching the animals, I am not being funny but these are still wild animals at the end of the day and if people are that naive to think because a Lemur is cute and fluffy that it won't bite you then they really should not be visiting any Zoo's.

The feeding times are one of the high point of this visit you can pay £1 to feed the Lemurs, Giraffes & Penguins, this is a great idea for the Zoo to make extra money and us to get an extra special treat of feeding animals we would never normally get near.

The lay out of this Zoo if brilliant, we managed to stand in the perfect spot for the feeding of the Tiger's and Jaguars watching these magnificent beasts shoot up a pole to get their feed was brilliant and not to be missed.

We bought a guide book which at £3 is well worth the money as it jammed packed with info about the Zoo and all the animals.

We took a packed lunch so I can't comment on the food at the Zoo, the gift shop is packed full of things but like all gift shops its expensive.

The recycle system the Zoo has going on is great thing to see.

A Zoo not to be missed

lancashire
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A wonderful place to visit young or old”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I have visited the park on four different occasions with children and grand children, and I couldnt fault it on any. The animals are beautifully kept, the keepers are all helpful knowledgeable and friendly, their talks about conservation are very informative and well presented. It's so wonderful to get so close and to feed the giraffe's (my favorites) lemurs and penguins with the keepers, also the emu's kangaroo's wallaby's and peacocks etc wandering round the lemur enclosure. The cafe and toilets are spotless, and the gift shop has a wide range of souvenirs, at very reasonable prices, some of which proceeds, support communities and help save habitats and species in the wild.
All in all it's a very good day out for all from young children upwards.

Sheffield
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Best day of the week, even in pouring rain!”
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Couldn't escape the rain during Jubes week, so we decided to brave the zoo anyway - seems like everyone else thought the same thing, and the place was surprisingly packed! It bucketed down all day, but we just rolled with it and enjoyed ourselves anyway. Mixed ages in our party - us old fogies, teenagers and young children, and we all loved it. I've never been anywhere you could get so close up to the animals - the penguins were especially delightful, and watching the tigers 'hunting' their food up high wooden poles was really exciting.

I really liked the environmental approach they take too - encouraging visitors to recycle waste, amongst other measures they've taken - very commendable.

I'd definitely go again - hopefully on a sunny day next time! Top tip - if you can exchange your Tesco vouchers in advance for 'day out' vouchers, do it and use them here - we got £40 off our entry fee from one £10 Tesco voucher - well worth doing.

1 Thank Iona_car
cumbria
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Excellent family day out”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We have visited the park 3 times now, and the Xmas time trip was great. My 2 yr old loved the santas grotto and her gift from santa, we also had a xmas lunch and stayed in the park for the lights which were lovely. It is also free to visit i think November -Feb which is great as there is loads to see. Nice to go on a sunny day but we'll be doing Xmas time again!

Visited December 2011