“Smelly and Unclean”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Safari Zoo

Safari Zoo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Explore, Discover, Adventure, South Lakes Safari Zoo. From the Swahili word meaning journey or expedition SAFARI ZOO is a unique journey into the animal kingdom. Come face to face with and discover Rhinos, Lions, Tigers, Bears, Hippos, Wolves, Snow leopards, Jaguar, Giant otters, Primates, Vultures, Penguins and much, much more at the UK's most interactive animal park and Europe’s only Safari Zoo.. You’ll have a fantastic adventure immersed with some of the rarest wildest animals on the planet. HEAR. TOUCH. SMELL. SEE feed your senses and the animals too - Hand feed giraffes every day, walk in amongst and hand feed penguins; wander amongst and discover kangaroo, lemurs, monkeys, free flying birds – including (for the brave) vultures and condors all living wild in the park. Daily interactive animal keeper led talks and animal feedings.
Kendal, Cumbria
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Smelly and Unclean”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

Okay so I know that zoo's are not always the sweetest smelling of places. But we found that today a lot of the park stunk especially the vulture house it was the worst smell I have ever experienced (and being a mother of two it must've been bad! Ha!) Also I took my two year old to be changed in the baby changing room's, of which there were three. One was occupied, one absolutely hummed of stale urine and in the third one the changing unit was covered in faeces. I can handle toilets being slightly unclean but you don't want your child to have to be changed in such conditions. What make's it worse is the fact that these also double up as the disabled toilets, so even more disgraceful that they were in such a dreadful state.

Also the park must've been unclean as there were wasps everywhere any outside eating was swarming with them and the bins were covered in them. Also unfortunately both my partner and daughter were stung, whilst overlooking the bear pen. My two year old daughter's lips swelled up immediately and unfortunately my partner is allergic to stings so a trip to the local hospital topped off the day nicely to say the least.

Needless to say I shall be writing a letter of complaint to the park and never returning again.

8 Thank Amy_270

• Polish first
United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Amazing up close experience with the animals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

Having been to many zoos and wildlife parks, this is by far the best we've ever visited. My children are 13 and 11, but we also visited south lakes wild animal park with family who had bbabies - all areas we found accessible for pushchairs. The kids got to hand feed lemurs, penguins and giraffes and watching the tiger and lion feeding was an amazing experience. All animals looked in stunning condition. The park has undergone some huge improvements since our last visit 6 years ago, we will be visiting again soon!!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Wasp infested and when you complain you get dismissed!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

We visited this park today and we were less than impressed! There were so many wasps that they were literally crawling all over us. My daughter and I hate wasps and were highly distressed at the sight of so many wasps. The cafe was less than impressive with electrical wires hanging down from the ceiling, the tables were never clean and there was a 30 minute wait on food! There were no disabled toilets or baby change facilities which I found strange for a family orientated attraction. I raised my concerns and simply got told that I am a lady who likes to complain!! All in all I would never attend this zoo again and I feel that the way the staff handle their customers with a concern is appalling. From now on I will stick to Chester zoo and never make the mistake of giving this park my hard earned cash!!!!

10 Thank Podgie02
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not the best day out!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

After travelling for over 2 hours we arrived to find that all the wasps in the lakes actually live here! I stayed for a grand total of 20 min with my 2 year old son then got sick of trying to swat the wasps away from him. The pathways were not buggy friendly in places too. Pity because it could have been a good day.

1 Thank Gandc2010
Southport, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Junior Keeper for the day.......well morning!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

Its was a cold, wet & windy place on the best of the Britsh Summer days BUT it does have plenty of seating areas with some great view point of the animals.......some of which are under cover. Picnics can be brought into the zoo with designated seating for just the resturaunt food.
The 'Junior Keeper' Day is well worth paying for, the zoo keepers are a great, freindly & have a good knowledge & compassion for all the animals, especially Nathan.
My girls who are 9 & 11 enjoyed an incrediable morning hand feeding animals & of course cleaning up after them!!
My advice would be to dress the children in warm very water proof clothes with wellies if they are going to be a keeper in the rain, other wise t-shirts shorts,trainers & wasp repellent. Will be recommending to others.
Downside is that they expect the parent to pay on top of the childrens fee which wasn't explained clearly enough in the information.

1 Thank Bluie7