Clarence House Country Hotel & Restaurant
Number 19 Guesthouse(Dalton-in-Furness)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsfizzy fridaychristmas decorationsafternoon teasconeschristmas lunchbirthday partythe main hotelsalmoncourse mealfantastic foodlittle touchescooked to perfectionlake districtfull englishcarveryconservatoryclarence
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Having visited this lovely hotel many times and had a great overall experience last Saturday was very disappointing. The manager David was very disdainful from the moment we arrived perhaps it was that we were only having a cream tea.
When the food arrived the scones were very hard so we told him. He told us they couldnt be because they were made this moring but I would say 5 people all saying the same thing ' had to be right". He begrudgingly got us more leaving the original ones there - bizarre. They were the same.
What annoyed me wasnt the scones, in the past they have been great and every scone is allowed to have a bad day. It was the unusually poor service. Even though there was only one other table in no one came to see if everything was alright at any point, we were literally scowled at for daring to complain and also our experience was denied. I have taught customer service and this example would have made a great Case Study. We begrudgingly got a discount at the end. Shame because we have had really good meals there. This time had really put me off returning.

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank bracebridge45
100victoria, Managing Director at Clarence House Country Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

At Clarence House we do indeed pride ourselves on our standards both of the food we deliver to the table and the service. Service is discreet yet attentive and the food is freshly prepared every day. Our scones are made traditionally and are cooked freshly every morning without fail they are crisp on the outside but soft in the middle and are served warm so the experience takes you to times gone by. I am very sorry you did not like our scones and sorry you felt it necessary to write a review about them but many people do indeed come time and time again for them.
David is a long serving member of our team and very highly regarded. His manner is of a professional nature and he takes any complaint very seriously. As it is through listening to our customers we have got were we are today.
I do hope you return to Clarence House as it would be a shame to miss the quality of service and food we provide in our area.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I spent one night staying in the Clarence hotel Dalton on business. the hotel is rated at 4 star. I would suggest this is to high, I was allocated room 13 which is in the annex a large room with all the amenities you would expect from a hotel the room was clean the bathroom was of an adequate size but there was a load noise from the pipe work when ever the water was turned on which lasted 3-4 minutes after it had been switched off. the sleep quality was good bed comfortable with no noise from other rooms, the receptionist in the evening was very busy on the phone, I visited twice both times kept waiting for 10 to 15 minutes while he was on the phone in fact the second time a waiter from the restaurant, actual came over and answer my query.
I had a evening meal in the hotel which was very nice, presented very well the term too much quality not enough quantity comes to mind, the breakfast in the morning was very good with servings starting at 6:30 idea if you have an early start

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank KeithEsther
Reviewed February 13, 2014

My daughter took us to Clarence House for drinks for my birthday treat. The bar was extremely welcoming with a log fire and comfy chairs, and, since it was Christmas, the decorations were superb too! The bar staff couldn't have been more courteous and made me feel like a cherished customer. It truly was a personal service. The lounge too, provides a wealth of comfy sofas to sink into whilst enjoying your drinks. I also caught a glimpse of the restaurant and the conservatory and will definitely make another visit! The ambience is wonderful and I would certainly recommend this lovely venue to anyone.Dalton should be really proud to have this luxury country house hotel at its centre.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Zina P
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I have never been to a place that was ill-equipped to provide a decent service..
Cattle Market
Food terrible
Lack of friendly staff
Not an experience I ever want to experience again
I advise anyone to avoid

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank John W
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Pleasantly surprised. Clarence House has always been one of the most attractive in this area, but on this occasion, I had a very comfortable bedroom, study & bath/shower room and the meal was unique, tasty and just the right amount. The dining room atmosphere was very good, even though I was on my own. A pleasant experience.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business