“Evening meal”
Review of Kings Arms

Ranked #24 of 45 Restaurants in Billingham
Cuisines: Bar, Pizza, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Evening meal”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

What a great place to meet and eat, the food although not that adventurous was very tasty, wholesome and great value for money. The place itself is very spacious, light and clean serving good beer from very friendly staff. We will certainly be using this place again in the near future.

• Visited March 2014
KingsArmsBillingham, Guest Relations Manager at Kings Arms, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Hi,

Thanks for your fantastic review our of our Pub. I agree that our menu isn't the most adventurous however that is because we are managed pub which has to follow our brand. Although our menu has been selected to satisfy a range of tastes we have recently introduced a "specials" board which is located just near the bar. This has a range of meals which are little more adventurous and different to our main menu. I hope on your next visit you spot this board and if anything takes your fancy you get to try something new.

Thanks again,

“A pub with no beer!”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We called in with elderly parents for our evening meal. The service was good - although the place was quiet. The food was OK although could have been warmer. 2 of us had the rump steak and I have to say it was very good, although others in the party had different meals and it appears that a lot of the food is just warmed up in the microwave.

Our main concern was that they were advertising 6 hand pulled ales and didn't have one of them in stock - and this is not the first time we've been in for a beer and had only a very limited choice. Once the new Wetherspoons opens I know where I'll be going!

• Visited March 2014
Hi,

Thanks for your impartial review. Im glad you enjoyed the service you received and your rump steaks - which are 35 day matured.

With regards to our cask ales I'm sorry for your dissapointment. I agree that the board behind the bar can be misleading - as a result we have had it changed. Unfortunately, due to the nature of cask ales they need to be left to settle for at least 24 hours once tapped. This means that during unexpectedly busy times we can easily run out of your favourite cask. We have now had our bar rearranged so that you can see all of our cask ales together, so you know what's on and what's available. We are really pushing our cask ales sales and would love to welcome you back and suggest which ales you would like to see us serving in the future. We rotate our casks regularly depending upon what guests have asked for - something which Wetherspoons wouldn't do.

I hope to see you return to our pub and appreciate our changes,

Kind Regards
“Frank S. Hopkinson”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

As long as you go not expecting more than ordinary pub food you won't be disappointed. At the price it is alright can get busy and noisy at times.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your honest review of our pub. Our brand is just what you described - good pub food at the right price. Because of this we do get busy at times, but surely you would rather see a full pub than an empty one? Especially with the way so many pubs are closing down every week in our country.

I hope to see you soon,

Kind Regards
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

As my usual restaurant has been closed for to weeks we decided to try the Kings Arms, after friends had been id week with good eports. On entering the Restaurant as well furbished with a friendly atmosphere, the waitress was friendly and we didn't have long to wait for our meal. The food was bland small amount of cabbage and carrots with mushy peas the yorkshire pudding was like cardboard the roasties were dry the chicken with skin and bones was unedible to me due to the fact i'm disabled and couldn't manage to eat it the mash was fine but I left there to go somewhere else for a meal.

• Visited January 2014
KingsArmsBillingham, Guest Relations Manager at Kings Arms, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you were dissapointed with your Sunday Lunch. All of our meat and vegetables are cooked fresh on the premises each week. I'll pass on your comments to our kitchen manager and team so that we can avoid the problems you had in the future.
With regards to the chicken our Sunday Lunches come with a half roast chicken and we've only had positive comments regarding this. We do stock chicken breast which is used on our other dishes such as New York Chicken and Chicken Fajita's so I am more than sure that if you had requested this it wouldn't have been a problem for us to swap the half roast chicken to a chicken breast. Our aim is to have every one of our guests leaving wanting to return so I apologise if this visit has put you off, however I would encourage you to return and try other items on our new menu.

Thank you for your review.

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disgusting Customer Service!”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

On the 3rd of Jan we went to the Kings, I went to the bar to order food for myself and my son. I was the only one at the bar, behind the bar was the duty manager and a staff member whilst another was floating around collecting glasses. No one acknowledged me and I was ignored whilst the staff member kept on serving the regulars with alcohol at the other end of the bar. These regulars were coming to the bar long after I had! the duty manager walked past me 3 times also making drinks for people that came after me. After 5 mins of being ignored the duty manger called to his staff member "have you served her" at this point I was disgusted by the complete lack of customer service and manners shown by the staff I will not be frequenting the place ever again!

• Visited January 2014
KingsArmsBillingham, Guest Relations Manager at Kings Arms, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Hi,

I totally agree with you when you say that the customer service you received was disgusting. As part of Spirit Pub Company we strive to put each of our guests at the heart of everything we do and we hope to have every guest wanting to return. Obviously this wasn't the case for you on this visit and I apologise.

Due to the size of our bar it is sometimes difficult to serve each guest in the order they arrived at the bar, especially at busy times. However, you should have definitely been served when our duty manager had acknowledged you.
I will pass your comments on to our management and front of house teams to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

I do hope that you will visit us again in the future, and I can only apologise for your poor experience with us this time.

Thanks for your review,