“A valentines to remember for all the right reasons”
Review of Wynyard Hall

Wynyard Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Billingham
Reviewed February 14, 2010

After reading the review for Wynyard hall I was a little worried to say the least about booking for Valentines night, but there was no need.
Upon arrival the reception lady was lovely and booked us in very quickly, we were booked into the Lady Mae Suite which turned out to be one of the best if not the best, room I have ever stayed in. We had 3 rooms, bedroom, sitting room and the biggest bathroom I have ever seen. On the table was a lovely boquet of flowers for my wife and a big flat screen telly for me to watch the rugby on..... you don't get better then that.
When we went down to the valentines dinner we were served champagne and nibbles in a lovely room complete with roaring log fire and after picking out a bottle of wine were led into a beautiful room to be served a lovely meal by a team who came across as very commited and profesional 5****** to you all.
Breakfast was again served in another dinning room complete with massive paintings and log fires. The food was lovely and the staff again 5 ******.
In conclusion the Valentines package worked perfect for me and my wife and the wynyard staff were all lovely, polite and always proffesional.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Monkeyhanger

Reviewed January 19, 2010

I booked a christmas 'do' for myself and work colleagues. I had previously been to Wynyard Hall for afternoon tea and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cakes were home made and there was far too much, although the staff were happy to provide 'doggy bags' to take home. The Christmas evening began with a welcome drink, then we went through to the conservatory which was beautifully set out. The service was impeccable and the meal hot and very enjoyable. A live band was followed by a disco in the ballroom, which had roaring open fires. All in all an excellent evening and we are looking forward to next year. So don't believe the bad reviews, try it for yourself!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank schoolies
Reviewed January 4, 2010

My mum and I stayed at Wynyard Hall for New Year. A wonderful building that has been well restored.

The Afternoon tea was a rip-off. We thought it was hilliarious when we asked what the tea was to be told it was English Breakfast Tea. Mum had to ask for Earl Grey. For £15 the tea consisted of 1 scone and an assortment of cheap cakes. Half a Vanillia Slice and a piece of Battenburg was among the assortment.And four finger sandwiches.

The dinner was a huge disapointment. The serving staff brought everything from kitchen in a line,as it must have been when the Londonderry's owned it. Concequently our food was barely warm.

The final straw came when the Cheese and biscuits were served. A plate of Cheeses and further plates of biscuits and chocolates were dumped on the table infront of guests.
Consequently the people who had been given the Cheese etc took more than there fair share. I got one piece of cheese and one biscuit. As that is what was left. The plates that were given for the cheese were warm. And there was no proper cheese knife on the Cheese plate.

Although the rooms were nice they were frugle with the toileteries.

There needs to be a great deal more training to make this a world class hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank paulineNewcastle
Reviewed December 8, 2009

The "events co ordinator" really had no idea how to plan an event meeting her I managed to get a great reduced price and she even forgot things off my bill (cheap event). After calling many times they were very unprofessional. I was really worried about the event.

However the big day came and the professionals took over.

The reception team were so helpful and friendly going that extra mile under pressure from my relatives.

The operations Manager and his Confernence team were brilliant making the day fantastic.

As we booked all room we should have got a much cheaper rate, but as the Events could not count we had a great dicsount

• Stayed: December 2009
4  Thank staffordNewcastle
Reviewed October 21, 2009

In 1959 I first entered Wynyard Hall as an 18 year old student. My then room mate, myself and our respective husbands, decided to have our golden anniversary of that day in the much improved and tended building of Sir John Hall.
Now it is a building of warmth, care and magnificence. the only things we remember as it was, are the library shelves and the chapel. The accessible bedroom however wasn't!!! and I suggest that the en suite bathroom is upgraded to the standard of the well equipped disabled toilet in the entrance hall. At present the light switch couldn't be reached, there wasn't one secure grab rail and the bath was impossible to get into. I recommend that the bath be removed and a "Wheel in shower" installed in its place.
Otherwise our reunion was all we dreamed of and I thank each member of staff and Sir John for their understanding and readiness to learn.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Spargo3829
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I have just tried to book a Christmas supper there for 4 and after leaving a number for them to contact me, I had to phone them again when no-one made contact!!!!

When I told the "events" person what date I wanted to book for, she told me that this date (5 or 19 Dec 2009) are fully booked but was able to offer us a Wednesday night or Thursday night... like I want to have a party and a drink on a Wednesday, when we all have work/business to run !!!
When I pointed out to the lady that their website made
1: no mention of being fully booked (for the last 10days or more as she informed me)
2: the alternate dates that they were offering

She made the excuse that it was their Advertising Agency/Web site developers that had made the error...."always shift the blame" seems to be the cry now..

Anyway, what promised to be a great night out has now been ruined and it wasn't helped by the lack of response from the staff there.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
7  Thank Krummo
Reviewed July 29, 2009

Lovely surroundings but the staff didn't seem to have a clue what they were doing.. It was like they were playing running a hotel. No room service, no help with bags.. not worth the £160 per night! If they are tryingto compete with the likes of Seaham Hall & the Jesmond Dean House they are going to struggle. They charged a friend £15 for cigarettes as they didn't have any so had to go out of the hotel/estate to get some..
They really need to decide if they are a hotel or not!

• Stayed: July 2009
5  Thank chucky36
Also consider these accommodations in or near Billingham
Seaham Hall
#1 of 1 in Redworth
Hardwick Hall Hotel
Hardwick Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sedgefield

Been to Wynyard Hall? Share your experiences!