“Great Christmas Do”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Billingham
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Great Christmas Do”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Had our work Christmas do here and it was a great night. Food and atmosphere were both excellent, and the staff were helpful and polite. Considering they were catering for such a large group (about 300) the service was very impressive and the whole thing went very smoothly. Thanks to the mangaement team especially for going out of their way to ensure we were well looked after.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank timshipley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Batley, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed here as a couple to attend a wedding and had pre-arranged to stay in the "wedding hotel" as it is much easier.

Check in is normally 3pm but I rang and spoke to the delightful Charlotte who arranged to a midday check in so that we could get changed at the hotel for the wedding at 1, instead of travelling up in formal clothes.

The hotel is magnificent. Very grand building which has a clean decor that does not impose on the guests. I saw a lot of the hotel and every where was clean and tidy.

The bedroom was large and spacious with a good sized bathroom. All the amenities you would normally find in a hotel room, however the locally made shortbread biscuits were an extra delight.

Breakfast was excellent, wide choice of cold continental plus a nice cooked breakfast choice.

The wedding food was superb, to get food of that quality for 120 people was a great effort, and the waiters and waitresses were excellent, well mannered and not like robots like in a lot of hotels and weddings. Our wine server I think was a young man called Richard who had a good humour about him and wasn't shy in speaking to the guests at our table.

All in all a very pleasant stay in a wonderful location in a wonderful building.

Two very minor criticisms:

1) only serving draught lager/bitter in the main bar was a little frustrating, as the gap between the wedding breakfast and the evening reception we could only be served drinks in one bar, which was bottles only.

2) Such a large hotel, perhaps some more signs of where to go. I do appreciate you do not want too many as to detract from the decor, however I did get lost a few times!

Very minor mentions however.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I had sunday lunch here. It is priced at £25 for 3 courses, coffee is £3.95.
I'm a vegetarian. When I made the booking I was told they had a separate vegetarian menu (always a good sign). We were also told coffee was included in the meal price.

It is a beautiful dining room but very large. It was busy. When I saw the usual veg. offering of risotto (vegetarians of the world I hear your groans) I asked for their veg. menu. It didn't exist but the chef obligingly offered to do a Morroccan tangine. It was bad so much so that I left the bulk of it. When the dish was collected I was about to mention why I hadn't eaten it but the young waiter took if off as I was in the first sentence. I think I'll credit him with the rudest waiter I've come across!
We ordered dessert from another waiter who was polite and apologetic. He throw in the coffees at no extra charge. However, the creme brulee I ordered was ruined by such a strange mixture of tastes put on top of it. .
There is some talent in the kitchen: the starter of ceps in a creamy sauce was excellent.
The hotel is near the higher price end for Sunday lunch but its cooking doesn't match up to the price. There are far better places to eat.
Although a lovely room, it can feel like it's catering to the masses.

North East
Reviewed December 5, 2012

As a birthday treat my husband booked us a spa treatment followed by dinner in the Wellington Room. The whole experience made us feel so very special and spoiled..... From the trip up the drive with the pretty decorated trees we felt we had left all our worries at the Golden Gates. Our treatments in the spa were first class and went off to dinner feeling very relaxed. Our choice in the Wellington was the Festive Menu and it was really beautiful, served extremely well by very pleasant and helpful staff. Couldn't have had a better birthday treat.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We have recently returned from Wynyard Hall after a celebration lunch for my wife's birthday.
We chose the Festive Menu and, as usual, thoroughly enjoyed the whole meal.
The setting of the Wellington Restaurant, the live piano music and the friendliness of the staff, all combined to enhance the occasion and we will not hesitate to return in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Wynyard_Hall_Hotel, General Manager at Wynyard Hall, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear FredThurwell,

Thank you for returning to visit us for such a special occasion, we are delighted that you have marked us 5 stars on this occasion and we look forward to providing you with many more 5 star experiences in the future
We hope you have a fantastic Christmas and New Year

Durham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We had a fantastic day, we stayed in the hotel the night before eating in the beautiful restaurant and used the fabulous spa. We looked at several venues in the North East and Wnyard Hall won in everyway. The staff are amazing, Kelly coordinated everything for us Victoria did a fantastic job on the day and Chris was very proffesional looking after us in the evening . Nothing was too much trouble from the waiting staff to the housekeeping staff.

Not forgeting the food it was delicious we could not have have chosen a better venue for my daughters speacial day, Wynyard Hall staff made it special.
Thank you very much Jean Featherstone x

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Jean F,

I am delighted that we helped make such a special occasion and I have shown your review to the staff members who you mentioned and they are equally delighted
We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to Wynyard in the near future

Leeds
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a Living Social 2 day break at Wynyard Hall Hotel. We had a MARVELLOUS break. The food, accomodation, staff and ambience were just perfect. We enjoyed the 2 hours we spent in the Spa and the many hours in the Library reading the newspapers, playing draughts or crosswording. Had the weather been better we woujld have golfed but the course was closed and, frankly, it didn't matter. Every member of the staff was well trained, cheerful and helpful and I must make mention of Charlotte in Reception who is a great ambassador. We will certainly return and recommend the hotel to all our friends. My wife is already planning a hen trip next year.Just one p[oint - a little more light in the library (perhaps a few reading lamps) would help older guests.

Room Tip: The suites over looking the lake and meadows are probabl;y the best rooms but all our accomodation w...