“The ideal wedding location”
Review of Wynyard Hall

and 1 more site!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Billingham
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Beautiful premises and surroundings. The ideal location to hold a wedding, lovely chapel and great environment and ambiance. Attended a family wedding and couldn't complain from start to finish. Perfect for photos, and the meal was also excellent and well presented. In all a perfect day, and a very happy, beautiful bride.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Weloveholidays1967

Reviewed January 21, 2012

Admittedly we only stayed one night and the hotel wasn't very busy, but we didn't share any of the critcisms of previous reviewers. The buildings are very grand and impressive and beautiful presented, and the grounds are picturesque and extensive. The rooms are individual, quirky and spacious with high ceilings, beautifully decorated and fitted out. Service was friendly and attentive. The restaurant menu was imaginative and the food tasty if a little fussy. The breakfast was particularly good with top quality ingredients well cooked. We particularly liked the open fire in the restaurant and the pianist playing requests. Prices are a little expensive but we stayed on an overnight special offer which was very good value. Overall a very enjoyable stay with no serious criticisms.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank brodders53
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Visions of watching my bridal party boil hot water so that I can have a bath was NOT what I had envisioned when I booked the lodge for the night before my wedding.

My entire bridal party, which consisted of 5 fabulous girls, flew in from all parts of the world to support me while I married the man I love. Knowing that they would be spending a week cramped up in our home, I booked the lodge (which held 6 comfortably) for the night before the wedding. I wanted them to feel special and to have a good nights sleep in a beautiful English country hotel.

I had booked the lodge 6 months prior to our wedding in November and on the night of our arrival we found ourselves with no heating & no internet. My maid of honor called the front desk and members of staff came to the lodge. Not a single member of staff who visited that night knew how to turn on the boiler. Thus, myself and two bridesmaids were driven up to the hotel in a utilities truck to have a proper bath.

Upon our return, my maid of honor informed me that we would be sleeping without heating for the night, but that someone would be showing up in the morning to turn the boiler on.

As a bride, it was my intention to be in bed by 10:30pm. Unfortunately, I was in bed by 12:30am, without any heating and with the uncertainty that I would be able to skype with my brother (A 2nd tour returning Marine, back in the USA) and father the following morning.

When I awoke the following morning, at 8am, to get dressed for my hair appointment, the heating was just turning on. My face was cold and we still didn't have any hot water.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank JoLovKa
Wynyard_Hall_Hotel, Manager at Wynyard Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your experience and stay at Wynyard Hall. We are sorry to hear of your disappointment and would like to take this opportunity to respond to your comments.

*Prior to any guests using our accommodation at the hall the bedrooms are fully serviced and checked by our senior Housekeeper. On the day in question the Hot Water and Heating in the Lodge was checked and working efficiently.

*A report was made by the guest party late in the evening that the hot water and heating was not working in the Lodge.

*At this time alternative accommodation within the main hotel was offered, but declined by the guests.

*The following morning our Engineer checked the facilities, and the Hot Water and Heating was working as normal.

*Although the Hot Water and Heating appeared to be working normally, as a gesture the overnight stay in the Lodge, valued at £400, was provided complimentary by the Operations Manager.

*A report was also made regarding the Wi-Fi within the Lodge.

*Due to the delay in the call out time for an engineer, an alternative arrangement was offered to the Bride to use Skype in one of the private rooms in the Hall at a convenient time for herself, which was accepted.

*The Bridal party then requested use of the Lodge for an additional night with no prior reservation being made. Whilst we were unable to offer accommodation in the Lodge, an extra £300.00 was discounted by our Operations Manager from an additional 3 hotel bedrooms, and accepted by guests.

*In total £700 was discounted from the bedroom rate.

This is a statement of the facts as we understand them to date.

Reviewed December 30, 2011

Wynyard Hall is very beautiful and exquisite to the eye and a wonderful venue to receive a captivating look and feel for an event. But do not be deceived. As for it’s hotel accommodations and it’s services, I was extremely disappointed and give the lowest rating possible.

I was Maid of Honour for The a Wedding that took place in November of 2011. The Bridal Party resided in the private housing, The Lodge, the evening before the wedding and also prepared for the day of the wedding there. The night before the wedding (the evening that we paid for) we were without heat and hot water. No one on staff knew how to fix it, no one was able to come solve the problem and a manager nor wedding coordinator was available to contact until late the following morning, the day of the Wedding. With other problems like no wireless internet (The Bride and her father and brother scheduled a video chat before she would walk down the aisle) we were delayed and stressed all day. They did give us our evening gratis, but offered us a full price for the second night. When I strongly suggested they devise another offer due to the exhaustion and frustration they put the Bride and her Bridal party through, the Operations Manager said absolutely not. I asked to speak to his supervisor and he told me he was unavailable because “He’s a very busy man.” When we were not seeing eye-to-eye, other answers he retorted towards me (a guest) were “There are other guests here, you know.” and last but not least “This isn’t America. You think we owe you something.” The Manager’s lack of manners towards me made me feel he is a sexist, a man of impatience and a liar. We were never allowed to speak to anyone else and we had to pay for our second night, exhausted and humiliated by Management. It was a disgrace and embarrassment to the rest of the lovely and wonderful staff we were blessed to work with.

This event that we attended was not a birthday party or an anniversary, but a Wedding; a once in a lifetime event. We spent over 15 months to prepare for this special day and spent over $1000/£1000. Wynyard Hall did not live up to the standards we prepared and paid for. The Wedding took place on a weekday, not a weekend. Therefore, all of our basic requests should have been simple fixes and non-time consuming for both parties.

In perspective, we as unhappy guests were not very demanding nor ever pushy to the point of being rude or impatient with any staff member. What we were asking for was extremely reasonable and was always requested, never demanded. We were only expecting what we were promised by Wynyard Hall to anticipate. We were willing to work with everyone who was willing to work with us. The Operations Manager was the one staff member who forced me to loose my joy among other things.

The staff aside from the Manager we dealt with each deserves their own gold star.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
9  Thank Gabrielle R
Wynyard_Hall_Hotel, Manager at Wynyard Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2012

*A report was also made regarding the Wi-Fi within the Lodge.

*In total £700 was discounted from the bedroom rate.

This is a statement of the facts as we understand them to date.

Reviewed December 16, 2011

When we arrived for lunch we were greeted and shown into the library which was beautiful, where we were offered drinks and given menus. There were a number of parties and as they were shown into the restaurant a lot of chair rearrangement began-a family member was asked to swap chairs which she did with good humour but this was surely a strange thing to happen!
Restaurant was lovely with two roaring fires. Food was of good quality and presentation but not outstanding (a first course had to be asked for as they seemed to have forgotten it and soup spoons also needed requesting.) The staff were pleasant but we felt inexperienced and time should be given to their training.
We decided to pass on desserts but ordered coffee and 'petit fours'. The petit fours turned out to be mince pies(unusual) so we asked if chef had anything else(to be honest we hoped for little choc. truffles or similar) the choice we had was between turkish delight or shortbread!
Never mind it didn't spoil our enjoyment but I wouldn't hurry back.
Wynyard has some way to go to match the like of Rudding Park or Swinton Park as 'stately' experiences.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank HelenM58
Reviewed December 15, 2011

We visited recently as part of a larger group. The food was OK, nothing spectacular when you consider the prices. We were given a quantity of veg which was enough for 2 people, certainly not enough for our party.
All in all I would have to say that we could not fault the staff or the service provided but the food left a lot to be desired. Certainly would not rush back.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank NorthExplorers
Reviewed December 7, 2011

Fabulous setting. Dined on a Sunday evening in the Wellington Restaurant, what good value, 2 main courses at £17.50 and you get a bottle of good Chilean wine thrown in. We went for a romantic dinner and couldnt have asked for more. Beautiful dining room with roaring log fires. Attentive restaurant and bar staff.
Had a starter of Chicken Liver Parfait with fresh figs, scrumptious. Followed by a their Christmas special of Turkey, the brussels and parsnips were, oh so good, as was the rest of the plate. Dessert was cheese. They have a cheese trolley that was laiden over a dozen types. Wow, and the extra,s, the mini sweet hovis style loaf, the jams and jellys, the biscuits.
Definately the place to go for something special.
Have heard their Sunday lunch is good too, so that,s next on our agenda!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank cypriana
Also consider these accommodations in or near Billingham
Premier Inn Stockton on Tees/Hartlepool Hotel
Premier Inn Stockton on Tees/Har...
#3 of 9 in Stockton-on-Tees
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees/Middlesbrough Hotel
Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees/Mid...
#2 of 9 in Stockton-on-Tees

Been to Wynyard Hall? Share your experiences!