All reviews the river outdoor activities course meal bread eggs breakfast buffet main course christmas party interior pool french canadian spa area large area included in our package bad taste hiking trails beautiful site swedish massage
Selected filters
Reviewed January 19, 2019

We really enjoyed our stay at Le Baluchon. The site is extraordinary with beautiful ski and snowshoe trails. They are well maintained. The way the site is designed you have a feeling of being alone. The rooms are in two story inns that are a distant one from the other. Even though we were there in very cold weather, we enjoyed walking to and from the dining areas. The meals were excellent and the service was wonderful. We did not try the spas. But we did try the dog sledding which was quite a unique experience. All in all our experience was very enjoyable. Le Baluchon includes the tip in the invoice and of course, you have the choice to accept it or not. Personally, I prefer this. This is also better for the employees as visitors from other countries do not have the same tipping customs. The only negative comment I have is that the rooms needs to be spruced up a bit.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Patricia B, Directeur général at Le Baluchon, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2019

Bonjour,
Thank you very much for your comments. We are very concerned about our guests satisfaction and really appreciate the fact that you take the time to write to us about your last stay at our property.
The Baluchon team

Reviewed January 15, 2019 via mobile

This is my third and last time to visit the baluchon. I kept going back because the idea of what they have going on is amazing but all three times, I left feeling more frustrated and ripped off.
First visit-
The girl doing my head and shoulders treatment was so sick that I could not relax at all. She kept sniffling and coughing and was directly above my face. I was waiting for the moment that he rinse dripped on my face. Needless to say, I got sick after my visit.
They also changed the times of my treatment in the afternoon so I actually didn’t even have a minute to go enjoy the Nordic spa.

Second visit- I complained about the first visit so they gave me a free night.
My husband and I made reservations and went to the very nice restaurant. While the server was opening our bottle of wine, the cork broke. Instead of getting a new bottle, she pushed to cork into the bottle. We couldn’t believe it and because we both work a lot we had treated ourselves to a very expensive bottle of wine. This should never happen at an upscale restaurant. We told the manager at the front desk who responded “ok”.

Third visit- my mother in law and two sister in laws decided to try one more time because it is the closest Nordic spa to us. We should not have.

This was by far the worst time.

One of us couldn’t get the hot stone massage because they had forgot to turn on the stones so they were cold, the mud wraps were very inconsistent, one was way to hit an the other freezing cold. I had a clay wrap that they did not even apply to my skin but instead told me that because a room with a shower wasn’t available they would apply the clay on top of a paper wrap. Yes, that right. My body, then a paper sheet, then the clay.
The one thing that I find extremely unacceptable is that one of my sister in laws had specifically asked to only have treatments by a female. Both were men. Because it was fully booked, her option was to forfeit the massage or go with the male massage therapist.
This spa has no idea why a women would feel uncomfortable being naked and massaged by a man, alone in a room. Completely unacceptable.

Both of my massages started 20 minutes late, I completely understand that they leave for a few minutes so the client could change but when they bring you into the room late and leave you for way too long it’s not ok. Each massage was over $100 and I only received 66% of what I paid for.

At lunch, the lady clearing the tables dropped a container of mayo in my coffee and never brought a new coffee.

These might seem like small things but add them all up and you have a very expensive day that leave you feeling frustrated, not relaxed and ripped off.

I’ve emailed serge and Isabelle to let them know about my latest experience and heard back from Patrica today who spelled my name wrong in the email and all she said was that they would be spoken too. The lack of customer service is unreal!

Just another reason why I will not be returning and do not recommend this place.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Patricia B, Directeur général at Le Baluchon, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2019

Madam,
We are sorry to read your comments and note that our domain has not met your expectations.
The Managment team

Reviewed January 15, 2019

We drove on the country roads to get to the Baluchon, it felt like we were far away from everything, but this was exactly what we were searching for.
The resort is beyond fabulous, what a great idea to have different buildings on the compound that make you walk in the forest. it shows that the management takes great pride in this property. There are lots of amazing details in every building. Our room was just lovely. So much care for details! The furniture is customized, a beautiful design and stunning. We had a fire place in our room as well. The bathroom was another wow. We loved the Spa, the breakfast buffet and the staff is so extra nice. We highly recommend!

Room tip: Ask for a room with a fire place in Auberge de l'Ile
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Patricia B, Directeur général at Le Baluchon, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2019

Bonjour,

The Baluchon team

Reviewed January 7, 2019

Let's start with the positive: The location is absolutely fantastic, lost in the countryside around St-Paulin, near a meandering river with beautiful cascades. During winter time, there are several ski, snowshoeing and walking trails around the site, and skating is possible on the river when it is cold enough. For a fee, you'll also be able to enjoy a dog sleigh experience, which was really appreciated by those of us who participated. Once you need to relax, you can enjoy the hot tubs, very welcome after outside activities in the cold. Additionally, there are two restaurants where you can compensate for lost calories. At the main restaurant, we had 3 or 4 courses dinners, and food was quite good, apart from some bland/watery miso soups. All the main dishes were quite exotic (wapiti, quails, salmon, wild boar), well-cooked and tasty. The Eco-café, where we had our breakfasts, was offering plenty for good appetites, including excellent fresh fruits. On the minus side: The rooms we had in the Auberge de la Rivière building were average at best: carpets, really dated bathroom style and equipments, where you could not set the heating (knob seemed to have deliberately removed to prevent adjustment on the baseboard heater) and the toilet seat was shaking. Most annoyingly, noise insulation was very poor across floors. We could hear people walk and talk above us, and toilets/shower water flows. I noticed the front desk clerk about that, but "oh", was the only answer. Apart from that, the beds were actually quite comfy. As good as it was for breakfast, the Eco-Café was a great disappointment for lunches: food is expensive, greasy, and not particularly tasty or rememberable. The grilled-cheeses were just not good.
Overall: it was a good experience, and I still recommend it, mostly for the outdoor activities. But it is overpriced. For 2 adults and a 12 years-old child, for 2 nights including breakfast and 2 dinners, we were expecting a bit more quality at 150$ per person per night (~ 900$ total).

Room tip: Choose them on second floors if you don't want to be woken up by people walking on your head.
Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed December 8, 2018 via mobile

Le Baluchon is about 80 minutes from Montreal and is great for an all seasons getaway! Fabulous location spread out over kilometres of forests! several sporting activities available plus complete spa etc. The service by staff is exemplary. The dining (breakfast, lunch and dinner)was awesome! Special place to visit to enjoy the finest in a very rustic environment, both Interior and Exterior.

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Traveled on business
Patricia B, Directeur général at Le Baluchon, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2018

Dear Guest,

We were delighted to serve you during your recent stay.
As a valued guest, your feedback is very important to us.

We look forward to host again.

Baluchon team