“Outstanding meat, service and ambience - average”
Review of Madeira Restaurant and Bar - CLOSED

Madeira Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The food is generally good and nicely presented. The signature dish is the espetada - a shashlik (meat on a skewer) by a fancy name, But the espetadas aren't just a fancy presentation, the beef and lamb are aged, tender and tasty. The Portuguese cuisine of Madeira is to our taste and we have been to this local restaurant several times - and will visit again.

There are newer reviews for Madeira Restaurant and Bar

Reviewed November 23, 2012

What a wonderful place to eat! The Chef went out of his way to cater for my special dietary requirements. The food was fantastic and the staff were very friendly. Without a doubt, will return again.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I went for dinner with some girls and they had a special deal which included a beef espetada, glass of sangria and Portuguese tart for a set price. I've been here a number of times, and the food is always great - really tasty, tender meat, beautiful desserts etc. The staff and service were good, and we had a lovely night out. One of the highlights was that they didn't ask us to leave as the night wore on and the restaurant emptied; they allowed us to stay and enjoy ourselves. We don't come across many restaurants like that! A wonderful night out.

Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

On arrival we were put out the back, it was like sitting in a shed. It was cold, the chairs were timber slated garden style, very uncomfortable with garden outdoor heters not doing much and the atmosphere dismal.

It came time to order and I ordered a steak requesting the sauce be put on the side rather than on top. The waitress told me the kitchen wouldn't do it, when I asked why I was told that if they put the sauce on the side and I don't eat it all the wait staff get into trouble for wastage. Very very bizarre. I stamped my feet and said I wanted the sauce on the side or I would not be ordering anything. The waitress left.

When the meal came, the sauce was on the side and the food was excellent.

Real shame about the poor 2nd rate room out the back and second rate service

1  Thank David K
Reviewed April 28, 2012

My husband, myself and a friend decided to give Madeira Portugese restaurant a try one Saturday night. We booked a table for three and were shown to a table that was actually two tables placed together for four people, two on one side and two on the other. To make it for three they had just removed one of the settings so one of us had to sit by themselves on one side and two on the other. One of the tables by themselves would have been fine for three.

The staff that greeted us were very young and inexperienced I would say. A drinks order was taken then another waiter arrived to take a drinks order. But that settled we perused the menu.

This is a restaurant with a gimmick. The specialty of the house is something called Espetada, a Portugese dish of meat of some sort presented on a skewer which hangs from a hook on a stand. We tried the beef version, although there was chicken and lamb as well. It comes with either mash or rice and some salad.

The dish is impressive looking when served. But one soon tires of this metal contraption as one tries to talk around it to chat, basically it was just in the way! A most effective conversation dampener!

There was a bit of foil wrapped around the top of the skewer of meat and I didn’t work out until after I’d finished my meal that it contained juices and that you are probably meant to squeeze it out over the meat before eating it to get some extra flavour. It would have been nice if someone had explained that to us as the meal came out.

Anyway, the meal itself was actually very tasty and I really enjoyed it. The beef was tender, well cooked and the flavours delightful. But at $36.00 each I’m not sure that I was getting value for money. I still felt a bit hungry at the end of the meal.

The drinks however were quite reasonably priced. The décor is very nice and on the night we were there they were booked out I’d say.

So, been there, done that and I just can’t see myself going there again – not that it was awful or anything by any means, it’s just that the novelty of the metal things wore off extremely quickly.