“Find somewhere else to stay...”

Darby Park Serviced Residences
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Checked into the Darby Serviced Apartments on Hay Street, Subiaco in January 2013, for a 10 night stay.

Overall, the apartment was seriously disappointing. As a 'self contained' apartment, you'd expect certain appliances and things to be in place so you'd be able to cook, and wash clothes and everything else you'd expect in a 'self contained' apartment.

The stovetop was dodgy, to say the least - it was touch and go as to if it would heat up half an element, or all of the element, or none of the element. The oven just didn't work - didn't maintain heat at all - tried to cook chicken breast in the oven, after an hour, it was barely warm.

The kitchen utensils were useless - we actually went to coles and bought our own sharp knives to use in the kitchen.

The dishwasher was old. The washing machine old and clunky. The apartment itself was poorly maintained - all the doors were sticky or waterdamaged/swollen - the toilet door didn't even latch, so my family had to get used to witnessing each other go to the toilet for 10 days.

The airconditioner was full of dust - we could either swealter in the heat, or turn the air con on and spend the whole time coughing because of the dust.

The bathtub/shower needed the sealant replaced - the bits that weren't falling off in chunks were moldy.

Housekeeping came in each day, refilled sugar/towels/toilet paper, wiped counters etc, but that still didn't stop the cockroaches - and these weren't little cockroaches, they were gross, big cockroaches, emerging from under the fridge, inside the kitchen cupboards, and they'd saunter across the kitchen benches in the middle of the day like they owned the place.

Add to that, our apartment was right above the corral where they stored the wheelie bins for bin collection, so we had the joy of smelling gross rubbish all week.

The ONLY plus side was that the staff were professional and friendly.... But not enough to make this place worthwhile.

Not impressed, far from. Would definitely not bother staying here again, in fact, would actively DISCOURAGE people from staying.

My husband and I agreed that we have stayed in Cabins in Caravan parks for $85 a night that were better equipped and cleaner.

Don't waste your money here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Guy R, Manager at Darby Park Serviced Residences, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Aleisia P, Thank you for your recent post following your stay with us. I was very sorry to hear your comments and wish that perhaps during your stay you had mentioned some of the issues that we might have been able to take action to improve your time here. Not saying, in some part we should have known some of the issues but in some instances if we don’t know or see, then we can’t always fix. Sometimes we have to rely on guest to advise us of some things and for that we appreciate it. Your comments definitely give us something to work on, as we have already started to. Once again, very sorry for what we were not able to provide correctly. We do appreciate your kind comments regarding the friendly and professional staff, thank you. Kind regards 23Jan

Reviewed October 10, 2012

This was our second time staying at the Darby Park apartments. These apartments are centrally located and the Vic hotel serving great meals, is right next door and good restaurants near by. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the apartments are neat and tidy. There is a pool and spa and the grounds are well maintained. Our three bedroom apartment had two bathrooms and a kitchen. We were very happy with our stay and so were our kids.

Room Tip: Try the Vic next door for dinner
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

stayed for a week on business. next door to vic hotel - excellent range of beers and cider on tap at the vic. few good eating places within walking distance. plenty of cafes for breakfast and coffee. room was clean albeit a bit dated. small lcd tv was a pain; no cable tv. no wifi - very expensive internet, can't understand why wifi in hotels is not free in australia like the rest of the world. location was good for me - very central. all in all average stay in a city were accommodation is hard to find.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I was really worried to stay here as some previous comments really scared me. This is not 5 star hotel, not even 4 star hotel. It is a good 3 star motel. Hotel is very close to Subiaco stadium, PM hospital and Telethon Institute for Child Health Research. I had whole day meeting at TICHR. it only takes me couple of minutes to walk there. It is also close to train station and free buses (yellow cat and red cat). Staff are very friendly and helpful. check in and check out have no problem. Room is large with two bedrooms, toilet, laundry room and big lounge. facilities are dated but functional. Perth is one of the most expensive city in the world at moment, considering the price i paid, it is relatively good value for money.

Room Tip: I stayed at room 32, it was a good room
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

Dear Melbcollege, Thank you for your recent post following your stay with us. We appreciate your kind comments regarding the friendly and helpful staff, glad we managed to look after you well. We look forward to seeing you again when next in Subiaco. Kind regards Manager

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I booked three nights for my wedding one day before to get ready one honeymoon night and one extra relax day. The first night my keycard didn't open the gate I ran to reception got another key only to find they didnt have parking so I had to park outside near the street and walk with wedding gear through the rain. The room! Ha! This 4 star place was a prison cell ! White painted bricks old furniture tiny tv spiderwebs near the fridge. Cr@p! I though oh well make the best of garbage situation and had went to the spa with my sister and mom to relax. The spa was freezing and the jets shoot the water at our heads because the water level
Was too low. Oh and my new key card only opened one gate. The footy was on in subi so drunk screaming people passed by through the night. Once I got my hair and make up done and the photographers came I was embarrassed by the room my mom asked for the room to be cleaned while we were at the ceremony. But it so happens they don't clean up the rooms on the weekends. I called the reception. No answer. So I marched down in my wedding dress to say if I wasn't getting married in 30 min I would be out ASAP. The nice lady on the desk (judy) said she would Personally tidy my room and arranged for a check out the next morning. After my big day my new husband and I returned to our 4 star sht box I explained I was sorry that it wasn't a nice place he said of course don't worry. The limo pulled up to the gate. And guess what my god damn card didn't open the gate!! So with the help of my limo driver we walked all our stuff to the door. AND MY KEY CARD WOULDN'T OPEN THE DOOR!!!!!!! My car/house keys jewelry clothes all locked in! I started to bawl my eyes out and my mom and best friend and cousin called everywhere trying to get help no emergency numbers when my mom got the answering machine. She even called margrate river to ask for help to no avail. Apparently there was a night manager but she gave my mom no phone number or other help. So we had to get the limo guy to take us back home to spearwood with me crying in the back. My wedding day was ruined!! A $46 dollar cab ride the next day to pick up my stuff and keys. I threw the card and said open the door the night manager started to explain about a night phone and this and that. I told him to shut up none of that matters now he got a nasty message on the answering machine from my mom. The card she had worked but I didn't have her card just mine And had a little smile like it was some kind of amusing story. He said obviously we wonton charge you for last night. I said you won't charge me
For the other night either and I demand a written apology.he reluctantly agreed and offered nothing else but "I'm sorry" I was shaking with anger! Do not stay at this Darby park 4 star joke. I am going to find out who they paid for the four star rating. I have no words to describe how I want to warn everyone not to stay here.!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Stephjade85
Guy R, Manager at Darby Park Serviced Residences, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2012

Dear Stephjade85, I am so sorry to read about the problems that you encountered during your stay with us. I can only apologise once again and advise that this was certainly not our intent. I can understand why you are upset.

It is not our standard of service offered and I regret that you have had these experiences on such a memorable day.

The Duty Manager in MR did alert me to your problems, but unfortunately by the time I came outside you had already gone.

I have been looking into the problems you encountered that day so that it does not and should not happen again,

As discussed, I will contact personally in order to again make my apology to you and your family
Kindest regards for the future. 25th Apr12

Reviewed March 28, 2012

Darby Park Subacio is based in the heart of Subi - it is centraly located , giving great access to all the shops, restuarants, Patterson Stadium, night life and everything that makes Subi the "hub" of Perth.
The property exterior and rooms have recently been painted, updated furnishings added and the property has a new lease on life. The front office staff always greet you with a warm welcome and go out of their way to ensure that you get information to maximise your exposure of 'Perth's Highlights".

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the property are quieter. Book a taxi if you are needing to get to an appointm...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Guy R, Manager at Darby Park Serviced Residences, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2012

Dear Tsosti, Thanks for your recent comments, glad you enjoyed your stay in Subiaco. Yes, we have been doing quite a bit of work on refreshing the property of late and thank too you for your comments regarding the staff, we will pass that on. We look forward to welcoming you back some time. Regards

Reviewed January 28, 2012

I was motivated to take pictures of the terrible state of the rooms so folks don't get ripped off like my family & I did.

Check in was straight forward, no problems there. However, as our room was on the top floor we had to climb three flights of stairs with our luggage. No help on offer.Too bad if you have a bad back or a heart condition. Anyway, upon entering the room the first thing I noticed was the net curtains, reminding me of a state run nursing home for the aged and decrepit.

Here is a cut & paste from the Darby Park Website:

"Apartments offer superb quality and convenience, with a fully-equipped kitchen and laundry, a spa bath, an in-room safe, internet access point, and latest release DVD or Foxtel viewing:, ahem- I don't think that is quite accurate - at least not in my opinion. I doubt the description was ever updated since the apartments were built. Really, these apartments are old & tired and claustrophobic. The bathroom is a sweat house - see pictures provided. There is no ventilation in the bathroom and you have to flight to take turns breathing with the mould growing on the tiles around the bath. We paid $360+ per night for a two room apartment, (the night before we paid $360 for a three bedroom huge Mantra apartment) Once in the room - even with two bedrooms there was a feeling of entrapment - the rooms are tiny. The appliances are just plain old and out dated.

The TV was a flat screen, a small 24cm (at a guess.) When you consider the rate of $300+per night most of the competition are offering at least 42 - 50cm in multiple rooms, including the bathroom!

The pool & spar was cloudy - a mere suggestion of the Darby Park website images. By the entrance gate there was a warning sign forbidding glass or alcohol, however during my stay there was plenty of both to be seen with no management in sight.

I felt ripped off, claustrophobic, forced to live with mould & dirt in a apartment lacking appropriate ventilation for four people in the height of Perth's summer.

How can places like this continue to charge such high rates and get away with it? Take my advice; don't stay at the Darby Park Apartments - try the Mantra Apartments or the Quest Apartments on Hay Street, opposite fast Eddie's.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool & / or Hay Street or better still, just give them a big miss altogether...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family

Dear milz_b Sorry to read your comments on Trip Advisor regarding our apartments. We have been doing some work on refreshing the apartments over this past year in new furniture, drapery and an ongoing silicon replacement program in the baths and showers . We appreciate your comments and those of others as it allows us guage people’s feelings and opinions with view to our apartments. Regards

Been to Darby Park Serviced Residences? Share your experiences!