“Bon Appetit!”

Bistro des Artistes
Reserve with
Bistro des Artistes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 109 Restaurants in Subiaco
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Perth
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bon Appetit!”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

My husband and I and our dear friends dined at Bistro des Artists in February 2014. The restaurant was fully booked that evening and it was buzzing! The atmosphere was alive and we were filled with anticipation of a unique French gastronomic experience and we were not disappointed! The wait staff were attentive and very French which is always a bonus in a French restaurant, the four of us were delighted with each course, the duck in my opinion was the best I have ever had. I highly recommend this restaurant!

Perth, Australia
“Not much artistry demonstrated here!”
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Feb 2014
Our group of six recently went to this bistro for my birthday dinner. I have been twice before and was keen to return.
It was a particularly disappointing evening. The waiter obviously had too many tables to wait on so we had to wait far too long to order drinks, both water and wine.
The food was awful! The ham sandwich (entree) came in a paper bag, as sold by petrol stations, and had a neat little piece of glass hidden in its depths. The warm entrees were served cold, straight out of the fridge I suspect. The mains were particularly disappointing, especially the chicken and pasta dish and several of them were cold to boot.
Exasperated only one of us had a dessert. Having not been tempted by the rice pudding served cold again in a thimble. She had the "floating desert" and now you must have guessed it was.........
Don't go it's not worth the money and it's too disappointing.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank jm2725
“Fantastic food!”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Please visit my blog for the full review

Food and presentation - 4/5
The food at Bistro des Artistes was fantastic. It's been a while since we've enjoyed every morsel of our meal without complaints before dessert! Usually RN or I will always have some complaint by mains.

My oysters were really fresh and I liked the vinaigrette that accompanied the oysters. DT's salmon was perfectly seasoned and went well with the sourdough and salad but my favourite entree of all would have to be RN's oeuf coccotte with cepes mushroom, it tasted absolutely sensational and had a rich mushroom taste which was so good with the bread soldiers.

Our mains were all really yummy. My squid was cooked perfectly and the squid was so fresh and naturally sweet, it was amazing. DT's lamb was perfectly medium rare and again was just beautiful and RN's duck was so tasty. We could not fault anything and were all nice and quiet during mains because we were enjoying it so much.

After mains, we were presented with a platter of cheese with grapes and bread, unfortunately or fortunately I was the only one who can eat all the cheeses. I can't exactly remember what cheeses they were but it was a blue cheese, aged cheddar and a brie. Beautiful cheeses which were wasted because I could not finish it all by myself.

Before dessert was served, we were given a pre-dessert of caramel rice pudding, it was nice but nothing spectacular.

Our desserts arrived and they were all nice but nothing spectacular and this was the point when the complaints started. Actually, RN loved her dessert and was still quiet, the berry tart was pretty good. DT's creme brulee was good although nothing special, DT commented that it was a bit too big (not sure if that is a positive or negative comment). Okay, it was me that had the complaint, it's always me...the il flottante (or floating island) is basically meringue with a custard sauce and drizzled with praline and caramel sauce. The first couple of bites were not bad, it was not something I've had before and the texture was interesting but it quickly became way too sweet and I was unable to finish it - it just didn't do much for me.

Our petits fours arrived with our coffee and tea but it was a bit of a shame that they were slightly wet. I couldn't quite tell what flavour they were and we weren't told but it had a hint of lemon flavour and I've had better macaroons.

I would've given them a higher score if dessert was better because I really do think the entree and mains deserve at least a 4.5/5 but dessert which was nice but just not great brought the score down. Shame.

Service - 3.5/5
Our waiter was cute and French and we had some communication problems. He was ever so helpful, checked in on us and was very friendly but unfortunately was also a bit forgetful and didn't quite understand what pregnancy means in terms of what they can and can't eat. For example, for the oeuf cocotte we explained to him that pregnant women can't have raw egg and can we have the egg cooked through but the dish came out with raw egg on top so we asked him if it can be cooked through. He took it back to the kitchen and it returned without the egg or the bread soldiers with no explanation of why the egg was removed but we just assumed it probably works better without the raw egg than to ruin the dish by overcooking it (we had ask for the bread soldiers). We also had another lady serve us now and again but she was not very friendly.

Alain was here tonight looking after the front of house and he was so lovely and friendly. I was walking around taking photos and the chef said hi and he said I could take a photo of him and Alain was also there and we had a nice casual chat. Later that night, I walked past the kitchen again and told the chef that the food was awesome and Alain and the chef both said thank you and said they would like to see us again. I feel a bit rude that I didn't ask the chef his name. It may not seem like anything special but in Perth it is rare that you can 1. speak to the chef directly and 2. have a friendly and welcoming chat with the owner.

Atmosphere and decor - 4.5/5
I absolutely love the decor at Bistro des Artistes, especially the mirror lined wall. I didn't give them 5/5 because the bar area was not as immaculate as one would expect at such a restaurant. There was a nice atmosphere in the restaurant and indeed felt like a bistro. A nice mix of patrons contributed to the nice atmosphere; patrons ranged from young lovey dovey dressed up couples who feed each other (yes they were feeding each other...), to friends having celebratory dinners (like us) to quite casually dressed locals. Not pretentious at all.

Value for money - 5/5
Definitely worth the money especially when you compare it to similar places. I would be happy to pay more for the quality of the food, friendly service and great atmosphere.

Taste Test Total Score 17/20

Perth, Australia
“Friendly but poor service”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I was thoroughly looking forward to trying this restaurant as I had read much about the owners and their talents.
Unfortunately that expertise did not flow onto the efficiency of their wait staff. Meals came at quite a gap of varying times to our large group, sides were supplied as meals were finished and water and wine were very slow in being replenished.
The hard flooring and walls in the small space meant it was very loud when full, almost making it impossible to hear a conversation at times.
The food was nice but not to the standard I was expecting. Overall I was disappointed.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“didnt meet expectations AT ALL”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Feb 2014, Husband & friend took me along for a much anticipated birthday dinner to Bistro des Artistes, on account of the fact that we hadnt made it back to the Loose Box since the 80s & also keen to see Mr Mollois's influence on desserts. 7 pm booking, a Tuesday evening. Restaurant was about 2/3rds full when we arrived. After 20 minutes had to ask to see a drinks list, asked for tap water, received & were charged for Still, despite seeing later that other tables had tap water. French waitress couldnt speak basic English ...when asked if a little tempter just delivered was sorbet - she says 'yes' - no, it was a mousse... etc! Not even a basic grip. Waited well over half an hour to order, an hour for entree to arrive. I am afraid repeated deliveries of the same little shot glass tempters didnt make up for the terrible service & long waits. Deep fried pig's trotter COLD. Mains - duck - COLD. But possibly worst of all was the edict when ordering at the start of the night that out of 4 deserts we couldnt really order 2 of them as they were about to run out!!!! Those two being the ones that involved pastry, with Mr Mollois supposedly at the helm a real disappointment. (The floating island dessert we ordered was very very sweet & not at all enjoyable). Coffee was delivered slopped all over the saucers. When walking past the kitchen after dessert (by now about 10.45, so much for an early night) the tension & surliness amongst staff was palpable. What was going on?!! Altogether a shambles, SUCH a disappointment with proprietors (both absent) of such good credentials. Alain seen briefly, departing as we arrived. Only good things were the champagne & the decor. But left with a bad taste altogether.

1 Thank Shy321